Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

In the week I got my maintenance guys to take up some carpets in an office at work, as they needed replacing. Plan was to put in some of those rubber tiles (office is used as a printer/fax room and stationery store). Turns out the wooden floor planks under the carpet came out really nicely after the contact adhesive was cleaned off with thinners, and then sanded. Makes no sense why people would want to cover such beautiful wood with shitty carpet.

c7585a108718292484e2cc1498360917.jpg

It boggles the mind. It is like I heard from somebody where the wife asked the husband to paint all the kitchen cabinets white because she could not stand the wooden look and said they were not modern and also unhealthy after they moved into a new home. The cabinets were solid oak!

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It boggles the mind. It is like I heard from somebody where the wife asked the husband to paint all the kitchen cabinets white because she could not stand the wooden look and said they were not modern and also unhealthy after they moved into a new home. The cabinets were solid oak!

you know, if i were given a choice between that person and those cupboard unpainted....

In the week I got my maintenance guys to take up some carpets in an office at work, as they needed replacing. Plan was to put in some of those rubber tiles (office is used as a printer/fax room and stationery store). Turns out the wooden floor planks under the carpet came out really nicely after the contact adhesive was cleaned off with thinners, and then sanded. Makes no sense why people would want to cover such beautiful wood with shitty carpet.

c7585a108718292484e2cc1498360917.jpg

I will never understand things like that, sure it might require some maintenance but nothing beats the warmth that wood brings.

I will never understand things like that, sure it might require some maintenance but nothing beats the warmth that wood brings.

Yup, and we’re a wood company, the person who had the carpets put in way back when should have known better.

The second and third coats went on today, looking forward to Monday to see how it’s turned out.

Im still trying to make sense of all the planes I have but Im sure I have a no3 for you. I do have a USA no5c but its my main one. Got a ton of English no5's, some record no5's and some Falcon no5's.

That would be super man. [emoji1303]

I'm not so hung up the US made. It's just that is seems impossible to date the English Stanleys, and the older the better obviously.

PM me what you want for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last check I had 17 no5's and converting one to a scrub was definitely on the list. Did you round out the blade and widen the throat on it? Anything else you needed to do?

That's insane. Where do you find all these plane and how long have it taken you to collect them?

You can obviously buy US made Stanleys from eBay sellers in the US, but the shipping would be insane.

So far I managed to get 2 US made Stanleys. But they are very scarce. I think it is because since around 1960 the suppliers in SA sourced new stock from England, and not the US.

My biggest issue with the England made Stanleys are tolerances in manufacturing, and a poorly made frog. It also seems to me that the sole bends more easily when planing.

You can obviously buy US made Stanleys from eBay sellers in the US, but the shipping would be insane.

So far I managed to get 2 US made Stanleys. But they are very scarce. I think it is because since around 1960 the suppliers in SA sourced new stock from England, and not the US.

My biggest issue with the England made Stanleys are tolerances in manufacturing, and a poorly made frog. It also seems to me that the sole bends more easily when planing.

Yeah they're quite scares around here. I've a made in USA No. 6 (ca. 1955), but won't go through the hassle of importing one. The difference between the English is marginal. My Record No. 4 is quite a nice little plane though.

There's something I like a lot about Record. Got a new 52 vice, but would like to change it for a vintage no. 52. Missed out on a few now on gumtree. They literally sell within the first hour.

Edited by stefmeister

Yeah they're quite scares around here. I've a made in USA No. 6 (ca. 1955), but won't go through the hassle of importing one. The difference between the English is marginal. My Record No. 4 is quite a nice little plane though.

There's something I like a lot about Record. Got a new 52 vice, but would like to change it for a vintage no. 52. Missed out on a few now on gumtree. They literally sell within the first hour.

Yes, the Records were fine planes, for a while until they outsourced manufacturing. I have an #8 Record which were abused by the previous owner. Used as a hammer and have a crack on one corner of the mouth.

Edited by Moridin

Im in a nice position to compare them having a few of each, the design of the sole is slightly different on the made in USA Stanley's to the made in England ones. Record make some amazing quality planes too, I would arguably say their quality is better than Stanley. 

Even more surprising are the Falcon Pope made in Australia planes, much thicker castings and the iron and chip breakers are way thicker and more stable. From a quick sharpening it seems more likely the Falcons are A2 than O1 or were hardened to a higher level.

Yes, the Records were fine planes, for a while until they outsourced manufacturing. I have an #8 Record which were abused by the previous owner. Used as a hammer and have a crack on one corner of the mouth.

I dont know what it is about no8's but I love those things, maybe is just because of the heft on them. Im pretty sure my one is a made in USA Stanley, Im still in the resto phase so cant quite recall.

So, went to complete the headboard that my father decided on how and what to use.

Had a catastrophic failure. Dad decided to clamp and lime every piece of the headboard. Problem being that pallet wood does not love pressure and strain. So the headboard spilt in a few places. To be honest I was glad. That meant that I could do it my way...

Here is my dads way

865414d869f456749bb170fdf025b0c6.jpg

Here is what I decided on:

Not one drop of lime was used. That gaps are on purpose and I worked with the wood. If it was crooked like the ANC I would make it fit with another piece. No clamping was done

daceda04dbaf7177b54e5d2595b18c1d.jpg

3977935a1ab913fa423e57c8a134b4cd.jpg

e2111dde5044f9f7f30c5eda3a21f97b.jpg

The SO did the stain work

ada832e3ec66a2381c33aa5aeffef4b3.jpg

Parents just delivered the headboard. Lesson to be learnt, measure twice then pen the size.

Think the new headboard came out better this time. And dropped the push switch due to the size limit

758388bf4223c07a5bf4824065bc0323.jpg

It is a little tight, thus the mistake of measure twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Cois

That's insane. Where do you find all these plane and how long have it taken you to collect them?

Sorry man, not sure how I missed this.

I developed a bit of an obsession for collecting planes so I went to every antique and second hand store searching for them. I also got friends and family to search in other cities and ask around. It surprising how many people are willing to sell old planes their grandfathers used to own. Some I paid way more than I should have and others were relatively cheap. 

Most of them are in really bad shape though so they need many many hours of love to get them back to new condition.