Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

@NotSoBigBen - I like Woodoc 25 - hard wearing, scratch resistant, relatively cheap and easy to apply.

@Spoke101 - Rubio Monocaot. 1 coat. It's expensive but I've got a sign board that we re-did 4 years ago, takes full sun the whole day as well as rain, and it looks like we did it yesterday.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Grebel, Porqui and Eddy for your suggestions. Had a discussion with Stretched@birth as well yesterday and decided to go with the polyurethane gloss.

Today is the big day, just finish off the edges and then start, will have to move the bike stuff I need for the next few days out of that room into a spare room though. Don't want to need to walk through there to soon and mess it up

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Just an observation that the gloss will have a reflective surface (Like from a window or doorway in that room). If you sit there during the day the reflection from the sun outside off the floor can be a bit blinding as can the reflection of down lights while you watch TV etc )OK not blinding but distracting). We went with the satin finish if I remember correctly. It isn't matt or rough but it is satin enough to just take the smooth finish off and reduce the reflection.

@Spoke101 - Rubio Monocaot. 1 coat. It's expensive but I've got a sign board that we re-did 4 years ago, takes full sun the whole day as well as rain, and it looks like we did it yesterday.

Supplier, please. Mine also needs a bit of TLC.

I clean it once a year with Sugarsoap to remove the old Raw Linseed Oil, before I reapply 2 coats of 50/50 Linseed and Thinners mix.

Looks like new once finished, but looses it's shine after a few months.

Want to treat it once, to last a while.

Just a note - Rubio MONOcoat is exactly that. ONE coat. Most woods won't accept a second coating, although I've had to do a second, very light coating on Cherry before. The product may seem expensive but trust me it goes moer far  :clap:

Some advise from the wood Guru's out there.

I have a Balau deck that gets wet almost daily (early morning due) and about 10 hours of direct sun with it being quite harsh in summer.

After a good sand and clean what would be the best product to use and how many coats would be required in order to the best long term protection?

Thanks in advance.

The problem with most commercial products is the stickability to Balau - Balau has a very high natural oil content

When I do do decks I just put a mix of 50/50 raw linseed and terps as first coat and second coat a week later more like a 75/25 mix. (1 coat per year after) Liberal coat.

You do need to redo it once a year if you want it spick and span but preparation is just a good wash. Make sure well dried before application.

If you apply in really hot weather it will soak in a bit better.

Edited by porqui

Grebel - satin is great

Some matts are really dull

The surface will still be smooth - they add an anti-refractive to the mix.

I did get satin [emoji41]

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

+1 on Bourne gleem.

They also do a Water based one (Waterbourne). I'm not too fond of the finish achieved with water based floor sealers, but it doesn't have any of the nasty fumes you have to deal with in polyurethane sealers. 

They also do a very hard to find, but tough as nails bad-ass variant called Jason Bourne..........

The problem with most commercial products is the stickability to Balau - Balau has a very high natural oil content

When I do do decks I just put a mix of 50/50 raw linseed and terps as first coat and second coat a week later more like a 75/25 mix. (1 coat per year after) Liberal coat.

You do need to redo it once a year if you want it spick and span but preparation is just a good wash. Make sure well dried before application.

If you apply in really hot weather it will soak in a bit better.

So my regime was not that far off. :thumbup:

Think I'll stick with it then.

I think Im done with the lathe setup for now, finally got the chisel rack built. Now to turn handles for the last two tools and get back into some serious turning.

attachicon.gifrack.jpg

A good thing you posted a pic, I was about to lay into you lot for spending too much time behind your keyboards and too little time in the workshop making things to take pics of.

Come on guys, pull yourselves towards yourselves and get working already