Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I turned a lidded box for my wife this weekend, it was from a yellow wood we had to cut down.

Was a bit rough going to start because my toolrest couldnt fit underneat due to the size of it, took some creative roughing to get it down. Also had to use tiedowns to keep the lathe from walking off the cabinet because I haven't decided where I want to bolt it down yet.

post-4822-0-09782500-1518419876_thumb.jpg

This pic isnt great, was taken late last night when I finished off. The ceramic succulent was made by my wife and makes a nice little knob.

I used Chestnut microcrystalline wax as a finish, really great stuff that.

post-4822-0-72128800-1518420060_thumb.jpg

The ipad was just for size comparison, its big!

Very nice, looks like you are getting a good collection of guitars you have made together.

What did you use for finish?

the body was stained blue then used woodco 20 to seal, and then for the easy peazy shine, added a clear coat glaze.

the scratch plate however I think is the peace de resistance..which just makes it work

post-12682-0-37122300-1518423096_thumb.jpeg

its black painted with a clear coat and something special in between

Hey now, Im seeing one of those swivel head lathes in there, why dont I ever see you posting stuff you turned in here???

:ph34r:

i have learnt a few things recently...and i thought by the time i get to 50 i would know everything ;)

will try keep it brief.

battery powered tools...

plugged in my 18 makita battery and the charger red light starting flashing and making a different noise...indicating battery faulty...man if you use battery machines you will know they dont come cheap...i went and bought a new one and back to work we went....a couple months later...another battery starting doing the same thing...off to the shop again and another R999 paid out for a new 3 amp/hr battery...i use these batteries a lot.

so i did some research...then dropped the 2 faulty ones off at makita and requested they test the battery...the report indicated that they were both "-----" ...one had done 276 charge cycles and the other 235 charge cycles...a makita 18 volt battery can do a lot more than 300 charger before it is "---" ...however nobody wants to share the exact figue...they just mention around 350 maybe more.

something you need to know if a warranty claim is required...they will first check the charge cycles...no matter how new or old the battery is.

a charge cycle is every time you charge the battery...if you run it flat then fully recharge it or just top it up after using it for a couple of minutes...it is calculated as 1 cycle.

so i got my tester out and tested the voltage of the 2 faulty batteries...one was completely "---" dead 0 volts...the other displayed 13 volts...so I did some more googling...to see if you can revive the battery...you can attempt to...though it is not recommended...it is as simple as putting a jumper between a fully charged battery and the faulty unit...i am not going to go into detail but if you search the www you will find more info.

there could be a number of reasons why  my battery dropped below the threshold...the newer makita machines have a star on the machine and the battery...my older machines dont...so if i drain the battery by running the machine for too long the battery voltage could drop below the charger voltage threshold...which could indicate the battery is faulty...a quick 5 min jumper could boost the voltage enough to above the charge voltage threshold and the battery could recharge and be back in use.

however the battery which indicated 0 volts...i wouldnt even consider doing it because it could cause a fire.

Finally finished my son's tool chest.

Birds eye maple, maple and curly maple.

That'll be a family heirloom.

Oh wow! you dont need another son do you?

That is something really special.

TOOL CHEST????

surely you mean something that deserves a Sothebys evaluation?