Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't be sure but it looks like some sort of reversable tool that can be used at either end, kind of like those double ended drill bits that you get?

Perhaps a picture from another angle would "shed some more light"?

Here are some more angles:

14ad93acf6f9cce853b33495db3acdb5.jpg

a94dd7732b04fb539959223263ff675f.jpg

80786c715df4eef9a57fab27685aa6f1.jpg

Here are some more angles:

14ad93acf6f9cce853b33495db3acdb5.jpg

a94dd7732b04fb539959223263ff675f.jpg

80786c715df4eef9a57fab27685aa6f1.jpg

Yeah, I think it is just a double ended screwdriver bit. It has been ground corner to corner to get the blade as wide as possible hence the interesting geometric type shape.

It probably started out as a simple square bar and was then rounded in the middle and then ground to a taper, edge on to form the blade shape.

I could of course be completely wrong and it might be some sort of primitive surgical instrument!

Anybody here worked with MDF that give some feedback on how easy/hard it is to cut and finish?

Considering a project that calls for it and I have never worked with it before.

Also if you need to use a self-tapping wood screw into the edge of it will it "delaminate/split"?

MDF cuts and finishes beautifully

For cutting I use a blade with many teeth best with smaller tips a thin kerf blade also gives better results.

What kind of finish do you want.

Use only what we call chipboard screws (not plasterboard screws) and pre-drill with a drill bit at least 80% the thickness of the shank and at least 75% the depth of the screw. Stay at least 40 to 50mm away from a corner with screws.

If you are going to use glue the an extra helping on the edge please - sucks in like crazy.

Be sure to give it a light sanding before applying finish.

If you are going to paint it with PVA let me know and maybe call me and I will tell you how to get a crazy smooth finish.

Edited by porqui

If you are going to paint it with PVA let me know and maybe call me and I will tell you how to get a crazy smooth finish.

Do pray tell!

Use a roller?

MDF cuts and finishes bea7utifully

For cutting I use a blade with many teeth best with smaller tips a thin kerf blade also gives better results.

Use only what we call chipboard screws (not plasterboard screws) and pre-drill with a drill bit at least 80% the thickness of the shank and at least 75% the depth of the screw. Stay at least 40 to 50mm away from a corner with screws.

If you are going to use glue the an extra helping on the edge please - sucks in like crazy.

ALOT of the "joints" are in the edge of the MDF, if you know what I mean. Think of it as a "T" so getting close the the edge is inevitable. A 16mm thick peice of wood means dead centre gives me 8mm either side to work with.

PM me you cell number and we can chat if thats good with you?

ALOT of the "joints" are in the edge of the MDF, if you know what I mean. Think of it as a "T" so getting close the the edge is inevitable. A 16mm thick peice of wood means dead centre gives me 8mm either side to work with.

PM me you cell number and we can chat if thats good with you?

Do pray tell!

Use a roller?

MDF cuts and finishes beautifully

Keen to know how you get your crazy smooth finish please ... so that I can spec my joinery drawings accordingly please (Do Architecture and Interiors)

Any advice for bonding something like a washer to 6mm MDF? I've got a small 8mm dowel running between two pieces of 6mm MDF as a shaft/axle, and it needs some reinforcing as there's a fair amount of pressure on the axle.

Contact glue?

AKFix?

Epoxy? (last resort, please, I've got no time for mixing and batching and and and)

Any advice for bonding something like a washer to 6mm MDF? I've got a small 8mm dowel running between two pieces of 6mm MDF as a shaft/axle, and it needs some reinforcing as there's a fair amount of pressure on the axle.

Contact glue?

AKFix?

Epoxy? (last resort, please, I've got no time for mixing and batching and and and)

Super glue should work like a charm, gel variety probably the best.

Contact glue?

AKFix?

Can't you put a bushing in? If not I would use a 2 part epoxy - epidermix - not cheap - but the mdf will break before the epoxy.

Think I'll try this one, as suggested. I must say this little side project had me giggling like a kid again when the prototype worked as planned this morning :D

Will post pics and vids once the final product is ready ... should be this week still.

post-29544-0-94040200-1476710339_thumb.jpg

Can't you put a bushing in? If not I would use a 2 part epoxy - epidermix - not cheap - but the mdf will break before the epoxy.

Where does one get that Doc? Lots of lame epoxies out there in the likes in Builders etc

Where does one get that Doc? Lots of lame epoxies out there in the likes in Builders etc

last time I bought was from parkhurst hardware - comes in 2 tins