[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

Spidy, that was the last time I had a realistic chance of a Sub 3. 

Trained my arse off, spent hours in the Gym, all to no avail. It demoralized me so much, that I scarcely trained for the 2010 edition, and when it turned out to be a windy ride also, I took my time. Even stopped for a visit to the loo in Houtbay. Was my slowest Argus to date.  :blush:

But most likely the best fun.  ;)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also known as the year I did not get my sub 3 :thumbdown:  :D  :rolleyes:

I had a broken wrist, from falling off the mtb a couple of weeks before. A few days before the Argus I went for a check with my orthopod and he asked whether I intended riding. I said, what the hell do you mean? Am I even allowed to ride? He didn't exactly say yes - he said that he wasn't worried about me breaking that wrist again while it was still in the cast, but to go ahead and ride, crash and break something else, it would be good for his business! I took it as a yes, triple wrapped one side of the handlebar to give me some grip with the awkward hand, jumped on the bike and rode it with my father. Playing domestique on that day was tough, even if you rode it as slowly as we did. As it turned out, it was a once in a lifetime experience. Sometimes it is Ok to do stupid things!  

I had a broken wrist, from falling off the mtb a couple of weeks before. A few days before the Argus I went for a check with my orthopod and he asked whether I intended riding. I said, what the hell do you mean? Am I even allowed to ride? He didn't exactly say yes - he said that he wasn't worried about me breaking that wrist again while it was still in the cast, but to go ahead and ride, crash and break something else, it would be good for his business! I took it as a yes, triple wrapped one side of the handlebar to give me some grip with the awkward hand, jumped on the bike and rode it with my father. Playing domestique on that day was tough, even if you rode it as slowly as we did. As it turned out, it was a once in a lifetime experience. Sometimes it is Ok to do stupid things!  

Calculator risk  :huh:

Awesome story

Very Belgian 

Julius Caesar wrote that the Belgians are the bravest of all Germanic tribes! Haha we Belgians are a tough bunch! :-)

Cool story DJR!

Important question: when you go to the beer tent afterwards, where do you leave your bike?

BOOM, That is one of the things I love about this race, riding it with my Dad. The season for me is often so full of VA racing I seldom get good quality time on the bike with him. For the last 2 years we actually only rode together a handful of times just before the race to "sync". Luckily this year I have done a lot less Vets and more Tandem.

Only once I can recall, and it was just slightly wet! Too long ago to put a year to it, years tend to fold into each other after a while :blush:

1987. I reckon half the entrants did not turn up on the day. 4,761 finished.

It was very very miserable.

Every other road race of the year I'm seeded in $ but when CTCT comes around I drop to the next group. Besides getting a top 10 there isn't much more I can do to be seeded better.

So I was just wondering if they expect more payment to ride in $.

This year I'm over trying to be fast, going to drop back to 2F and ride with mates.

Come Argus every man and his dog pitch, around 750 who can do a sub 3, compared to around 1,000 who pitch for most other rides.

Money has nothing to do with $ seeding, your index is just not low enough compared to the 200 riders who are seeded $.

Simple maths in this case, not ANC tender ethics.

Come Argus every man and his dog pitch, around 750 who can do a sub 3, compared to around 1,000 who pitch for most other rides.

Money has nothing to do with $ seeding, your index is just not low enough compared to the 200 riders who are seeded $.

Simple maths in this case, not ANC tender ethics.

Oh is that how many $ riders are allowed in the first group starting 6:15??

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Basti

Thanks in advance.

Pretty much. They use discretion at registration to add a few more. Spoke101 got it right last year and then they always add the epic pros like Nino, Sauser and I see team bulls are bringing 4 guys to do the race this year.

Pretty much. They use discretion at registration to add a few more. Spoke101 got it right last year and then they always add the epic pros like Nino, Sauser and I see team bulls are bringing 4 guys to do the race this year.

I remember Spoke101 got last year in $ at last minute, but bet if he could turn back the clock he would stayed in his original group...referring to that HUGE crash in $ at Hospital bend last year which he was also involved in :cursing:

Edited by Mongoose!

I remember Spoke101 got last year in $ at last minute, but bet if he could turn back the clock he would stayed in his original group...referring to that HUGE crash in $ at Hospital bend last year which he was also involved in :cursing:

Ja shame. I remember coming down the hill and seeing him on the side of the road and this exact thought popped into my mind.

Thanks in advance.

Spoke101 the others mentioned had a ridiculously low seeding index of close to 0 and he was also not initially seeded in $. But after he contacted the organisers they moved him up.

Seems that first starting group is mostly reserved for the actual pros, but I'm sure if you are good enough and you contact them you can be moved up.

BOOM, That is one of the things I love about this race, riding it with my Dad. The season for me is often so full of VA racing I seldom get good quality time on the bike with him. For the last 2 years we actually only rode together a handful of times just before the race to "sync". Luckily this year I have done a lot less Vets and more Tandem.

I would give anything to ride the CTCT with my father... never had the opportunity before either as he passed away 7yrs ago and i only started cycling in 2012, but Cape Town and especially the drive around Camps Bay over Suikerbossie was his ultimate favorite when we visited the Cape. He would have loved this!!!

Cherish this, no matter how old you are, before you know it, it's gone.

Julius Caesar wrote that the Belgians are the bravest of all Germanic tribes! Haha we Belgians are a tough bunch! :-)

Cool story DJR!

Important question: when you go to the beer tent afterwards, where do you leave your bike?

There is a safe designated bike park, where you can leave your bike. Just follow everyone else after the finish.

Question to all the experienced CTCT riders and people knowing the Cape relatively well...

I'm planning to ride back from the finish to Melkbos as we're staying there with friends.

What would be the safest route back? Or is it a bit to risky?

Question to all the experienced CTCT riders and people knowing the Cape relatively well...

I'm planning to ride back from the finish to Melkbos as we're staying there with friends.

What would be the safest route back? Or is it a bit to risky?

I would go via waterfront, under the fly overs, onto N1, marine drive off ramp, then onto the cycle path to Melkbos. Stopping for coffee on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk