Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

Can you guys follow any of the action with the trackers? If you can follow the riders based on their trackers how have you found the updates ?

Did follow some, but seems not all the riders have the trackers activated (or they might be running low on battery)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did follow some, but seems not all the riders have the trackers activated (or they might be running low on battery)

Ok, asking because these guys were at the expo and are offering a years free subs if you buy the unit. Comes with an SOS function. If my back holds up at S2C and I am in for Munga then I will buy one for the safety aspect so the Mrs can live track me from home while training.

Only compared with last year, but here are some stats and notes from Kevin Vermaak to avoid any #FakeNews:

"2016 St 3=10.91%

2016 Finish=15.02%

2017 St 3=12.69%

2017 Finish=???

Be sure to remember:

This does not include blue board riders, hence it's an even lower percentage of riders that don't actually ride cross the final finish line. I think sometimes folk get confused by the fact that the rankings on our results board only include TEAMS that are still in the race - they exclude individual finishers that are out the rankings because their partner is out the race or is riding with a blue board... but is still a finisher.."

if i include a blue board number as an official rider, then my stats from looking in their archives are

2013 - 82,4%; 88,2% final finshers/st3 finshers

2014 - 87,3%; 95,6%

2015 - 85,3%; 91,4%

2016 - 79,8%; 85,4%

2017 - ???% ; 84,0%

The first three years here had about 620 teams starting, 2016 had 647, then this year 666 

sour grapes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they ate them or drank them the night before, good possibility.

Slightly off the topic but I would like to hear from the hyenas what it is like to ride the course being the last rider and ,the "interesting " things that they see or come across .

True, but if the Cape Epic valued womans cycling equally as mens then there would be two choppers or at least an "Oli Munick" type oke live tweeting the ladies race. Its not hard, there just has to be the desire, which there is not from the organisers. 

When they were having the ladies podium, the live feed was showing the empty finish line. Pretty hard to convince sponsors to cover a team if they dont get exposure in front of those 4000 viewers. 

We are not expecting live action chase shots etc, just a tweet every five minutes, so and so has been dropped, so and so has punctured, still together. etc.

Dont get me started on the Cape Epic twitter drinking game - every paid tweet you see you drink.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Thomas Dietsch is following the women on and e-bike with a GoPro in the same way that Stefan Sahm is behind the men, but there have apparently been some technical glitches with his equipment other than on the prologue and parts of Stage 1 (he filmed Spitz's crash, for example)

Slightly off the topic but I would like to hear from the hyenas what it is like to ride the course being the last rider and ,the "interesting " things that they see or come across .

Hyenas!! Lol love your sense of Humor

Usually you don't have time to stop n see the roses.... you spend most of your time hoping and calculating if you will make the cut off... that feeling you get when you know you will make it is amazing....

Hyenas!! Lol love your sense of Humor

Usually you don't have time to stop n see the roses.... you spend most of your time hoping and calculating if you will make the cut off... that feeling you get when you know you will make it is amazing....

That's their actual team name. 

hehe, 2012 - lost my team mate on stage 1... so already riding with a blue number on stage 4 (The out & back from Caledon):

At some point I was literary the last guy in the race - out on my bike and barely moving. I was followed by the vehicle that serve as the broom wagon / environmental cleanup etc. (private 3de party company contracted to ensure the environmental impact is within standards - removal of all those stickers in branches that mark the route, lost bombs & water bottles) One of the personal in the vehicle had a bike with him - and he would then pedal the sections where the vehicle cant get into.

At some stage he was right behind me on a dead flat and straight section, when I hear a massive thumb behind me - I was moving soooo slow, he just could not keep his balance and tipped over. At that point I decided that is it - if not for me, then at least for the safety of the people looking after me  :blush:

On that note - I was then training in Dublin and as fit as I ever was - except for heat preparation. I basically did all my training in the dark while freezing my butt of... the euro's suffering this year have all my sympathy.  :thumbup:

Thomas Dietsch is following the women on and e-bike with a GoPro in the same way that Stefan Sahm is behind the men, but there have apparently been some technical glitches with his equipment other than on the prologue and parts of Stage 1 (he filmed Spitz's crash, for example)

Their technical difficulties are costing the ladies sponsors exposure, the not showing the ladies podium was a bit doff too. It just makes it less worthwhile for a sponsor to get involved with a ladies team at the Epic. 

Their technical difficulties are costing the ladies sponsors exposure, the not showing the ladies podium was a bit doff too. It just makes it less worthwhile for a sponsor to get involved with a ladies team at the Epic.

Jeez, you're a hard task master. The technical difficulties aren't deliberate

Team BCX suffer a puncture ... can't wait till the experts find out what tyres they are running  :whistling:

They don't ride Spez, so don't matter...

Jeez, you're a hard task master. The technical difficulties aren't deliberate

I hear you, but if you claim to present a world class event, your backups must also be world class.

You cannot concentrate on just one portion of the race. For the first time in years, the Ladies section is not a one horse race, but it could just have been, if no one gets to see the action.

Just saying.