Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps the organisers should contemplate having qualifying criteria like with the Comrades marathon?

But also how do you know that you are fully prepared for something like this?

So many variables are in play

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I went to the 2008 event in the best condition of my cycling life. I was a repeat entry so I knew what to expect but I contracted a viral infection two days before the start and spent 5 stages dodging the cutoff before I called quits.

Every day I thought I would get better but it did not happen.

Hope the guys in Oudtshoorn, Barberton, Sabie & Mankele don't see this. I agree that some folks pitch up for a jolly and are not properly prepared. Of course it's going to be hot!

Clearly not a race for mid packers or metrosexuals

In my opinion the main reason for riders not making it is trying to ride too fast for their fitness levels. If your aim is just to finish and not 'dice' that other guy, eat and drink well, manage the cut off times, you should make it. It is crazy how people go out from day 1 at the same pace as their local club or buddy rides at home. You need to have a rule for day 1 to 3 where you dont go over a certain average heart rate and stick to it. But as soon as you throw a 100 guys in a bunch its a race of some kind. I have finished an Epic where I dont think i was ever in the red because i had a partner that didnt really prepare and we had to look after him. i've also had Epics where I was fitter and almost didnt finish because I was trying to race.

old school wisdom that will be missed on many !

The site is really bad regarding the women's race..

It's seems because Ariane isn't performing they just don't care.

10:42

The very hilly terrain around here has made comms a bit tricky. Trying to get info on the women, but we're hearing that Luthi/Morath were way off the pace.

That is copied off the site. Remember this is not 21st century comms for the olympics in a city centre with everything on hand. The guys doing the feed are working at a finish venue that next week will only be used by cows and goats - that means logistics are not easy. The fact up to four thousand people are watching the various feeds at any one time means the majority are getting a benefit from it.

Only one media helicopter is covering the race and the flying time needed to go back and try and find the leading women would be prohibitive, and the chances of a mistake identifying or missing the leading women is high from the air.

Just my view.

I know Lance has dropped hints before that he would like to ride the Epic. And I'm sure with Hincapie there he would be even more interested.

And the only thing holding him back is that pesky UCI lifetime ban. Otherwise he would be able to do the Epic since he's been "caught" before 2013.

Imagine that [emoji23] The Bikehub would explode!

Lance is a winner.

He won outright in his category, it may not be a category that everyone likes to recognise but he did win it.

I would like to see him at Epic  :ph34r:

Lance is a winner.

He won outright in his category, it may not be a category that everyone likes to recognise but he did win it.

I would like to see him at Epic  :ph34r:

I'd love to see you and Escapee at the Epic on a tandem... funds should be easy to raise!

I cannot believe that the lady with the stitches above her eye is still upfront and killing it... People like that are truly inspirational. Like when Moolman-Pasio crashed and still went on to finish (I think she also won?!).

My alarm went off at 4am this morning for my usual Wednesday ride, as I was thinking up my first excuse as to why I should be going back to sleep,  these two incidents popped into my mind. Needless to say, I had a great ride. No excuses from me anymore...  

10:42

The very hilly terrain around here has made comms a bit tricky. Trying to get info on the women, but we're hearing that Luthi/Morath were way off the pace.

That is copied off the site. Remember this is not 21st century comms for the olympics in a city centre with everything on hand. The guys doing the feed are working at a finish venue that next week will only be used by cows and goats - that means logistics are not easy. The fact up to four thousand people are watching the various feeds at any one time means the majority are getting a benefit from it.

Only one media helicopter is covering the race and the flying time needed to go back and try and find the leading women would be prohibitive, and the chances of a mistake identifying or missing the leading women is high from the air.

Just my view.

Imagine we had live tracking 

I'd love to see you and Escapee at the Epic on a tandem... funds should be easy to raise!

Not enough ST

Too much climbing

Not enough reward

I cannot believe that the lady with the stitches above her eye is still upfront and killing it... People like that are truly inspirational. Like when Moolman-Pasio crashed and still went on to finish (I think she also won?!).

My alarm went off at 4am this morning for my usual Wednesday ride, as I was thinking up my first excuse as to why I should be going back to sleep,  these two incidents popped into my mind. Needless to say, I had a great ride. No excuses from me anymore...  

Or when Yolanda Speedy won the Ladies cat with a broken collarbone? 

Not enough ST

Too much climbing

Not enough reward

Dont know Oom, sounds like if we can sort out our suspension and make sure we have the strongest/heaviest tyres we should be golden

Dont know Oom, sounds like if we can sort out our suspension and make sure we have the strongest/heaviest tyres we should be golden

Make sure you brush up on your skillzzzz  :ph34r:

Archived