Anti-doping rule violation for top track cyclist: In-competition Test

News bot

What "sauna at gym" has benefits, time to dust off my gym membership card.

"One study demonstrated that a 30-minute sauna session two times a week for three weeks POST-workout increased the time that it took for study participants to run until exhaustion by 32% compared to baseline.4

The 32% increase in running endurance found in this particular study was accompanied by a 7.1% increase in plasma volume and 3.5% increase in red blood cell (RBC) count.4 This increased red blood cell count accompanying these performance gains feed right back into those more general mechanisms we talked about earlier, the most obvious of which being: more red blood cells increase oxygen delivery to muscles. It is thought that heat acclimation boosts the RBC count through erythropoietin (EPO) because the body is trying to compensate for the corresponding rise in plasma volume.4

(Note from Tim: If “EPO” sounds familiar, it’s because it’s commonly injected by Tour de France competitors. More on that here.)

In other words, hyperthermic conditioning through sauna use doesn’t just make you better at dealing with heat; it makes you better, period. I do want to mention that while these gains were made with a small sample size (N=6) some of the later studies that I point out reinforce this conclusion"

But there quite a few studies on this (google it - there quite a bit of info).

On a personnel level I have noticed thou Blood tests and using a Sauna my Haematocrit and been tested at 50 - this was the legal limit of been safe before they could test for EPO.

Edited by Icycling

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"One study demonstrated that a 30-minute sauna session two times a week for three weeks POST-workout increased the time that it took for study participants to run until exhaustion by 32% compared to baseline.4

The 32% increase in running endurance found in this particular study was accompanied by a 7.1% increase in plasma volume and 3.5% increase in red blood cell (RBC) count.4 This increased red blood cell count accompanying these performance gains feed right back into those more general mechanisms we talked about earlier, the most obvious of which being: more red blood cells increase oxygen delivery to muscles. It is thought that heat acclimation boosts the RBC count through erythropoietin (EPO) because the body is trying to compensate for the corresponding rise in plasma volume.4

(Note from Tim: If “EPO” sounds familiar, it’s because it’s commonly injected by Tour de France competitors. More on that here.)

In other words, hyperthermic conditioning through sauna use doesn’t just make you better at dealing with heat; it makes you better, period. I do want to mention that while these gains were made with a small sample size (N=6) some of the later studies that I point out reinforce this conclusion"

I typed this into the banned substance list and nothing came up....

Pseudo ephedrine is one of those "too easily available" drugs. It's in tons of stuff.

Rules are rules though - it was in her body so she needs to take the knock.

Learn the lesson though - read the label - ALWAYS read the label.

Do the drug tester ask the athletics, if they have been taking any tablets for the past 3-6 months, so that they will know if they are guilty or not?

Do the drug tester ask the athletics, if they have been taking any tablets for the past 3-6 months, so that they will know if they are guilty or not?

Yip.

On the form you have to tell them what you have used during a 2 week window.

A few years back my Daughter was a fairly competitive swimmer and had been tested from the age of 13 at various gala's .

EVERY time she had to take any form of medication we would first phone our GP and get him to confirm if it was ok or not .

I feel this is a small responsibility for EVERY serious athlete .

Saves a lot of ''explaining " down the line . We were also fully aware that many OTC medications have banned substances in them .

On a personnel level I have noticed thou Blood tests and using a Sauna my Haematocrit and been tested at 50 - this was the legal limit of been safe before they could test for EPO.

Wow! 

For those interested in the study mentioned, here it is: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1440244006001393