Anti-doping rule violation for top track cyclist: In-competition Test

News bot

ha ha, seriously? What is in it that makes it illegal?

+1, is it not just a crap load of vitamins?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a comment in another track - Another Adverse Analytical finding page 8 - this is an example off the controllers failing the sport in my opinion.

Pseudoephedrine has been on and off the banned list too many times and is way to easy to get even at your Local PnP.

Here is what Drug free sport says on it website which is rather vague as to how long it may last in your system / half life.

PSEUDOEPHEDRINE (iso-ephedrine) Category: PROHIBITED in-competition only

Last Upated: Mon, 19 Sep 2016

Information

Prohibited substance: PSEUDOEPHEDRINE - refer to section S6 (Stimulants) of the WADA 2016 Prohibited List.

Clarifying information (WADA):

- The established threshold levels may be reached by some individuals within 6-20 hours of intake of some formulations.

- Advise athletes to stop taking pills at least 24 hours before competition.

For therapeutic applications during the In-Competition period, consider the use of alternative permitted medications upon previous consultation with a physician, or apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) for the use of pseudoephedrine for therapeutic purpose(s).

Find out more and Search on wikipedia

From this, she had taken the "pills" in a 24hour period before the competition?

Edited by Wil6

Unfortunately athletes should know their stuff.

When you have a cold, almost all medicine are banned IN competition.

So you do a little research here and there and figure out that the halflife of Pseudo is 6 hours and it takes 8 halflifes to get out of the system.

Thus 48 hours.

So if you have a cold and it does not get better 3 days before the event....cancel the event.

If you really really really want to do the event, stop drinking medicine 4 days prior. 

That is my research on Pseudo.......I might be wrong....

Nope there is something in it that athletes use as a masking agent.

This was my comment in the other track:

Is it a case of one size fits all with doping?

So you take EPO and lets say 9 other proper drugs easily detectable, but not easily to get, then Life time ban for sure.

But what about those banned substance you can buy (accidentally) possibly even at Pick ’n Pay - should these also be life time bans?

I just think the list of ban substances is way to long knowing that only a few have GREAT impact. The test need to test for these substances and not masking agents - the test designers need to do a better job, hopefully possible job.

What about artificial stimulating your environment  - like Altitude tents, sitting in sauna at gym, H2O therapy - or training in your bathroom (increased humidity and temp) for world champs (Tony Martin)?

This was my comment in the other track:

Is it a case of one size fits all with doping?

So you take EPO and lets say 9 other proper drugs easily detectable, but not easily to get, then Life time ban for sure.

But what about those banned substance you can buy (accidentally) possibly even at Pick ’n Pay - should these also be life time bans?

I just think the list of ban substances is way to long knowing that only a few have GREAT impact. The test need to test for these substances and not masking agents - the test designers need to do a better job, hopefully possible job.

What about artificial stimulating your environment  - like Altitude tents, sitting in sauna at gym, H2O therapy - or training in your bathroom (increased humidity and temp) for world champs (Tony Martin)?

You've lost the plot with this statement

Edited by Wil6

Think before you guys judge her read what she has to say about it.

She went to to pharmacy for Sinustat, they did not have stock. The pharmacist gave her Actifed and said it's almost the same thing.

And in about 10 seconds one can see if its on the naughty list.

http://www.drugfreesport.org.za/online-medication-check/

Edit: As an athlete, making the above link a bookmark in you browser is a must.

Edited by Patchelicious

Think she's honest about it not being intentional. Actifed makes you sleepy. If you wanted energy, you take Sudafed. Also available OTC.

Hopefully she gets extenuating circumstances with her appeal, if she chooses to appeal

If she had a cold/snozzy/sickish.... why ride a race within 24 hours (the half life)?

If I had any illness requiring stuff like Sinustat (or similar), I wouldn't be in a condition to ride the next day already.

You've lost the plot with this statement

I hope you referring to this part of the statement as you stated that it's a masking agent, as this is why I re-posted from the other track unedited! But it should read - The testers need to test for these substances and not masking agents.

"I just think the list of ban substances is way to long knowing that only a few have GREAT impact. The test need to test for these substances and not masking agents - the test designers need to do a better job, hopefully possible job."

I hope you referring to this part of the statement as you stated that it's a masking agent, as this is why I re-posted from the other track unedited! But it should read - The testers need to test for these substances and not masking agents.

"I just think the list of ban substances is way to long knowing that only a few have GREAT impact. The test need to test for these substances and not masking agents - the test designers need to do a better job, hopefully possible job."

No, go and have a look what I've highlighted from your post.

Think before you guys judge her read what she has to say about it.

She went to to pharmacy for Sinustat, they did not have stock. The pharmacist gave her Actifed and said it's almost the same thing.

As a professional athlete that is simply not an acceptable excuse. You need to take responsibility for what goes into your system and if it's medication you take the additional time to check what's on the label and if it's okay or not and not just go on what the pharmacist said. 

How may times have we all heard this excuse (whether true or not) to know that you shouldn't be making that mistake.