Tokai mountain bike trails reopen to the public

News bot

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll buy the activity card because it is my main MTB ride together with the front of Table Mountain and now also the new routes that opened up linking Rhodes Memorial (my back yard) with Constantia Neck, the Greenbelts and Tokai (all of them requiring an activity card).

I feel MASSIVE rides coming on and the year fee will be dirt cheap for the number of times I go. If I'm a good boy and leave the road bike alone for a week or two, I'll break even in the first month.

Exactly for this reason yes, and cant wait to see the new routes.

I was saying the other day, I wont be renewing my Tygerberg yearly.

One just have to get the yearly permit either way. It just makes more sense.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Is it a one way trail?That was the impression I got when I saw the video

Most of them were, so most likely yes. 

Mostly, yes. As far as I know only boulders is dual direction

There are plans for a dedicated climbing trail though. That will take a while to come to fruition.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

As Myles said Boulders is dual direction and Puff Adder (although short) is too.

There will be a short trail guide put out in the next day or two for anybody that has questions.

Luckily I'm forced to get an annual permit to commute through Rhodes and around table mountain to work. So Tokai is on like donkey kong.

Wildcard is separate to the activity cards for climbing / MTB / dog walking / horse riding and is about 500 pee year for the entire TMNP

bikers score out of this as the cost of bike specific trails can exceed R100 000 per km. Poor climbers / hikers and horseriders are having to fork out the same amount to access trails that cost far less to build and maintain.

bikers score out of this as the cost of bike specific trails can exceed R100 000 per km. Poor climbers / hikers and horseriders are having to fork out the same amount to access trails that cost far less to build and maintain.

Hikers don't pay.

And given that the trails are built and maintained using donations that come from cyclists, cycling organizations or cycle friendly businesses it's not really correct to say they score when the money they pay for the activity permit doesn't ever go into the trails.

Not the correct thread, but still relevant.

Is a permit needed to ride the new Newlands trail, and if so, where do you buy it?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/164599-introducing-the-newlands-forest-to-constantia-nek-mountain-bike-trail/?source=lfp

Yes permits required for all of Peninsula rides except green belt section

Daily Mtbike permit rate......R75 for the day 

Daily permits available 7 days of the week..Tokai ,Kirstenbosch and (city )TB..cnr Berg and Castle

The...year  Activity permit fees have increased to R500 PP/PA....but there is a alternative option

So Although the Primary member costs R500 PP you can have up to 3 Additional members @ (R215.00)pp 

(they don't have to be family members)

# So if you get 3 other riders as additional members they only pay R215pp 

... split/share the total cost by 4 and you can get your permit for R286.25 PP/PA

You don't have to all go in as a group one person can do all the paperwork 

The main member obviously takes his ID...and the other 3 if they are physically going to the offices.

1. So you will require 2x passport sized photos...

2. a certified copy of their ID's

3. the form below completed and signed.

https://www.sanparks...permit_form.pdf

this equates to 4 rides at daily rate of R75....so

Tokai trail ride

newlands forest ride

Deer path

Silvermine............and its paid for 

Add 30 bucks for the year and you can add the Vlakkenberg loop to your Newlands ride.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/news/mtb/sa-mtb/launch-of-the-vlakkenberg-mtb-trails-r5726

Ps ...The Activity permit is for 1 year from date of  purchase .

Edited by HowardSteele

Sales Outlets for the My Green Card and My Activity Permit

The Table Mountain National Park My Green Card and My Activity Permit is now available at the following Cape Town Tourism offices. Remember to take with you your 2 ID photos, ID and,

(Remember Green card not a valid permit for mountain biking)

in the case of the My Green Card, your printed proof of residence:

For closest sales points give them a call or send an email.

For more information on the TMNP My Green Card and Activity Permits , please contact the Tokai Tourist office on:

Tel: +27 (0)21 712 7471 or
E-mail: tablemountain@sanparks.org
Closed daily from 12:30 p.m. - 13:00 p.m.

Tourism Offices,go to the website below and select offices for times and details 

Cape Town International Airport
City Centre
Kirstenbosch
Simon's Town
Somerset West
Long Street

https://www.sanparks.org/.../tou.../access-cards-permits.php

Edited by HowardSteele

Watched the vid last night ... fun times.

HOWEVER .... I always figured Deon to be a grizzled old grey bearded, gunstun smoking, vodka drinking, kaki wearing type of guy .... not a soft spoken, long haired, hippie surfer looking kind of guy :P

:blush: