Tokai mountain bike trails reopen to the public

News bot

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This character allegedly caught in the act. Comments of FB suggest this is not the first time. Probably will claim he didn't get the memo... :whistling:

15355563_10154356405434751_6852214993750

He looks a bit like the mystiek boer...maybe the boere will teach him a mistake or two

http://backsberg.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/valiant_475.jpg

That's some seriously stabilized footage!

Yes, how did you stabilize your footage and what camera are you using? My shots are so shaky it needs to come with an epilepsy warning.

Yes, how did you stabilize your footage and what camera are you using? My shots are so shaky it needs to come with an epilepsy warning.

He's got a gimbal on his chest mount, which is also why it seems to run wide on the corners sometimes.  GoPro Hero 4 iirc. The small one. 

Thanks Miles, the picture is amazing.

My gopro was handed down to me by my great great grandpa, they used it to document their trip down to the Cape on their ox cart.

I did some go pro (hero3) at Tokai too, using a proper built in helmet mount. The footage was way more stable than before because the camera was mounted more firmly than on my old helmet, I think. 

He's got a gimbal on his chest mount, which is also why it seems to run wide on the corners sometimes.  GoPro Hero 4 iirc. The small one. 

GoPro Hero 5 mounted on Zhiyun Tech wearable gimbal mounted on Chesty...shot in @2.7K 60FPS...and edited with Premier Pro and After Effects...no post edit stabilizing...gimbal has been re-tuned to improve turn-recover rate so waiting to get back out there to see if I can reduce the "run wide" effect...!! Yeoowzer!!!

Jeez that cat with the Loose Riders top rips hey?

Thought I saw some drop bars on that bike of his  - Whats his name "The Road Dirty" or something?

I saw a disappointingly large number of + bikes on the hill on Sunday.

Funny, Sat afternoon there were about 10 26ers and 2 29ers and 1 27.5

I wasnt keeping count until the dude with the 27.5 cam past and that other thread came into my head about good priced 26ers. 

Was interesting after that .

Funny, Sat afternoon there were about 10 26ers and 2 29ers and 1 27.5

I wasnt keeping count until the dude with the 27.5 cam past and that other thread came into my head about good priced 26ers. 

Was interesting after that .

Haha what?

Was so cool to be back in Tokai on the weekend.

A massive thank you to all who've worked so hard to make it happen, from negotiations through to building and everything in-between, it is a great achievement.

I first rode there in 1995 and conditions allowing probably a minimum of 3 times a week ever since.

I have seen it change many times over the years, and while this is the biggest change yet, I'm sure it will change again in time.

Some thoughts/musings/questions

I like the idea of parking by the picnic area, feels more secure and its a bit of a warm up for the upcoming hill...

I really enjoyed the new hill, that's a proper challenge. Will it remain? or is it really just a detour?

Found the jeep track generally rougher and looser than before. But still set some PB's...(I think that was the stoke of being back).

Undecided about the new single track. I rode the snakes and Vasbyt down and it was a ton of fun and had me whooping out loud, but once the buzz had worn off, and on reflection, I found I'd missed the technical challenges of the rocks and sneaky roots.

To those involved, please don't take these as complaints or criticisms, just my first thoughts after 2 days there. I never expected it to be restored exactly as it was.

The only disappointment to me was that the big log step on Vasbyt has gone, that used to be my nemesis and took me a long time to grow the balls big enough to clear it. Then it became my favourite thing. Used to love landing it then juuuust making the line between the stump and the rocks. But I'm sure I'll find new challenges to grow balls for.

Again though, back to the top to reiterate the thanks to all involved in bringing this back to reality for us all to enjoy.