Dedicated to all the cyclist that have suffered an incident and to the unfortunate ones who left us

daniele

Wow. Chilling story. Its amazing how small the world is sometimes with people you interact with daily. All the best for your road ahead. Made me think of all the people that went down in this morning's Fast One race. Speedy recovery to all whom are injured.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much for sharing your story. You have been through a lot and I am sure that the whole experience has been traumatising for you.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the norm in SA, and it scares me to go out riding. I am new to cycling and I usually look for every opportunity to get on my bike. But lately, I am scared. I don't want to cycle for fear of something happening. I usually cycle alone (I am far too slow to join any cycling groups at the moment) so if anything does happen to me, I would be relying on good samaritans- if there are any.

Thanks again for sharing. I hope that you recover stronger than ever!

Hell, Daniele. That's one helluva story and I'm bloody glad you're still with us. Keep strong and good luck with your recovery. Absolutely piss poor attitude from the SAPS but unfortunately that's what we're used to at the moment (and part of the reason Tannie Zille et al want more oversight over WC SAPS)

I'm just about to start ramping up the road riding myself. Inattentive driving was the major reason I stopped tbh. Damn.

A small tear this side.

Thank you for sharing at this time with all this stuff going on.

Heal up and I know you'll be stronger for it.

You made the correct choice giving up road cycling, it is too dangerous no matter how much we love the sport. Mtb is more fun anyway.

Hey Daniele, your story hit home in a big way, as I used to ride that road to Tygerberg MTB and back all the time from Sunningdale, and that bridge...ja no well fine.

I have relived my trip to hospital through your story, and can relate, albeit not to the same extent as you, but either way, I hear you. I remember when I came out of surgery, and the nurse was inserting the drip in my arm. I leapt up, shouting at all and sundry, and ripped the drip out of my arm. Not even my wife was willing to come near me. I guess the anesthetic makes one crazy.

On a more positive note, I fell through bouts of near depression, thinking I would never ride again, and that I will not be the same after my op,but I am back in the saddle, and the sun kept shining for me. I thank God every day, cause I firmly believe, no, I know He fixed me up.

Strongs to you and your courageous wife. 

A very brave tale and strong attitude.

Official response to your accident is a disgrace as you should not have to be so concerned about justice; it should just happen.  In my view, these are the cases PPA etc should be following up on and publicising the outcome.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are an incredible brave soldier and fellow cyclist to have gone through all of this.

It scares me daily to get on my bike and do the commute to and from work, but I do it because it is something I love. I try and stay to the pavements but this is not always possible.

Unfortunately, more and more accidents are happening in SA involving cyclists.Something must be done to protect the innocent.

Thanks again for sharing. I hope that you recover stronger than ever!

Chills  running up my spine .....

Glad you ave healed .

Sounds like you have a real positive attitude .

Well done !!

Hi Daniele, 

Your story gave me cold shivers. you have been through so much

​You have thought us how important a lot of things are, accident assistance, family and time.

Thanks for put this down in writing and I pray that God continues to heal you, and use you to touch others. 

Blessings to you, your wife and your colleagues for the support they are giving you!

Thanks for sharing and thanking God that you are here to tel tell your story.  Big thumbs up for all involved.

Thanks for taking the time to share.

Your story is moving on so many levels, I am glad you chose recovery, very inspirational.

Archived