Anyone using Zwift?

so stage 3 was fun....I was wishing for more gears most of the time, my ghetto 1 x 10 (42) with 32 was not doing me any favours. Being unfit is a beeaatccchh

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tour of Watopia- Stage 3 : Race report

The event began uneventfully, with no server issues tonight, and I found myself near the front of the bunch. Somehow I dropped to 767th place within the first 2.5 minutes, but I was determined not to let this get to me.

With my Bluetooth speaker pumping out my favourite playlist, and the Aircon cranking out 16° , conditions were perfect on the day, and the Kikr was hummimg like oiled American Pie. I was happiness personified, huffing and puffing, sweating like a pig, determined to finish and not come last.

But, 1 hour into the climb things started to go awry, when I realised that I had run out of water. I WhatsApp my wife (three times) but she was chatting to her aunt in the lounge and it took a full 10 minutes for the support vehicle to make its way to the the pain cave to quench my thirst.

I insisted that she gaze at the screen for the rest of the ride, and marvel in bemused wonderment at how awesome it was that I Was doing the same iconic climb of Alpe De Huez, that I make her watch on the tv every July, but she was less than impressed much to my chagrin. She point blank refused to stand next to the idt whispering words of encouragement, and went back to chat to her aunt.

But, she did warm to her new support role, and undertook to watch her phone for possible further instructions. All credit is due to her, because when I WhatsApp her again calling for a half a whole wheat roll with peanut butter and strawberry jam, it arrived promptly.

But, not before she expressed the alternative view that the second last piece of matza in the box (being the last remnants left over from Pesach) would constitute a far superior fuel source, but I strongly suspect that her advice was actually motivated not by my nutritional needs at a time of great suffering, but rather by her obsessive need to get rid of the box.

Anyway, By the time I turn 14 came around, I had got myself into the 600s, and with great and determination, I Totally dropped a lady zwifter who had the chutzpah to try and overtake me just before turned 13. At turn 3, I was done for, but I realised with bursting pride that 692nd place was eminently achievable, until some bladdy box decided to challenge me and flew past me – well, i stood up and chased the bastard, dancing on the pedals with the Panache of Pisterello (sans the Clenbuterol) until I came within striking distance before blowing up, left to watch my nemesis surging to the finish.

I did not cover myself in glory; it took me 2.12 to finish, and now I lie here in bed, legs trashed, grateful for the wife who I love, the roof over my head, and the privilege of having the toys and accoutrements which enable me to ride my bike in places real and virtual.

I cant wait to do it all again.

Bravo!!!

I too was hoping for fans running next to me shouting encouragement....but I had children standing next to me complaining about having to bring water refills...

Considered sleeping downstairs, as I was not sure I could make the flight upstairs. 

My question, might seem stupid, but those on self adjusting smart trainers, when you it in a groups slip stream does it lessen the resistance slightly? Did the Stage 2 yesterday and a lot of people riding in bunches, to me it doesn't make a difference. 

Also, with the smart trainers are you able to :"freewheel" downhill? 

Hi

Yes, in theory.  What happens in the Group is generally as follows:  the software increases your virtual speed on screen to represent bunch riding.  So in theory, you could drop your watts to maintain your original speed.  However, this seldom happens - all the guys in the bunch just keep pumping out the same watts.  So your speed increases but you don't really 'feel' any respite.

Downhill is similar.  You will maintain a fairly high virtual speed while just spinning the pedals.  But it doesn't feel anything like the road.  Some of the high end trainers handle freewheeling better than others - but in general, freewheeling on an IDT is a non starter...

Riding in a group makes a huge difference. Playing sweeper on a few group rides I can tell you that you need to maintain 1-2wkg more than the group to be able to catch up once dropped.

Typically a group doing 2.5wkg you would need about 4wkg to catch them and then it takes a long time to do it so there is usually plenty suffering to catch a group again. The speed benefit is real. I have done many races where the front group did less wkg than some dropped guys but had the benefit of the group effect and thus pulled away.

My Tacx Bushido, that can handle the 14% gradients on Zwift arrives today. Step up from my Satori Smart which did not self adjust.

Looking forward to getting back on Zwift with a self adjusting trainer once Bogus finishes the spray job on my classic Hansom Reynolds 708 frameset.

God the wait is killing me, but I keep reminding myself that he is the best, and quality takes time. Unfortunately I am an impatient bastard, I should work on that.

next two stages are gonna be intense...

Did the pretzel last year may, and it was just shy of 3 hours...(and I was a whole whack fitter then)

I did stage 6 tonight. I have never done the Epic KOM in reverse, it was really nice but seemed harder.

Anyway, the Pretzel finale promises to be a huge k@k off. I have never done it before. I think i better start real early cos it will be a long morning.

I'm not gonna lie, I don't have fond memories of the pretzel.

Epic KOM in reverse was a bit easier for me last night, due to the duration of the intensity being less. 

and then I have the make-up stage 1 to look forward to at the end of the month...all this for a stupid ass virtual jersy for my much better looking avatar...

Hi all Zwift users!

I'm a beginner and just signed up with Zwift for indoor training.

I use the latest Wahoo Kickr, connect to laptop via ANT+

On my first ride I use my Garmin device, just for the Vitality points, but I've noticed that the speed on Garmin device is not the same as displayed on Zwift.

I did a climb on Zwift and the speed dropped to 8kmp/h and on Garmin device it was 22kmp/h

I peddal for death on that climb to chase some PR's but speed doesnt go more on Zwift

Anyone know why?

PS - I dont connect via bluetooth to laptop, but via ANT+

Hi all Zwift users!

I'm a beginner and just signed up with Zwift for indoor training.

I use the latest Wahoo Kickr, connect to laptop via ANT+

On my first ride I use my Garmin device, just for the Vitality points, but I've noticed that the speed on Garmin device is not the same as displayed on Zwift.

I did a climb on Zwift and the speed dropped to 8kmp/h and on Garmin device it was 22kmp/h

I peddal for death on that climb to chase some PR's but speed doesnt go more on Zwift

Anyone know why?

PS - I dont connect via bluetooth to laptop, but via ANT+

The Garmin is getting your speed directly from the trainer, or from a speed sensor (if you have one on your rear wheel).

Zwift takes the power from your trainer, uses your weight, the road gradient and drafting factor etc. to calculate your virtual Zwift speed.

The Garmin is getting your speed directly from the trainer, or from a speed sensor (if you have one on your rear wheel).

Zwift takes the power from your trainer, uses your weight, the road gradient and drafting factor etc. to calculate your virtual Zwift speed.

I do understand but jeeeeeezzzz I almost died to try and get over 10kmp/h on the one hill, while Garmin showed a much faster speed.

The Garmin detects the Wahoo Kickr as the speed sensor

I'm not gonna lie, I don't have fond memories of the pretzel.

Epic KOM in reverse was a bit easier for me last night, due to the duration of the intensity being less.

and then I have the make-up stage 1 to look forward to at the end of the month...all this for a stupid ass virtual jersy for my much better looking avatar...

I did stage 7 last night. It was Very nice, with quite a few saffas passing me. It was a tough challenge for me for sure - I did 2.55, but I must say I did enjoy most of it except the last 20 mins or so, when I started a bit of a bonk. Staying put on a stationary saddle for 3 hours is definitely harder on ones ass than is the case on the road somehow.

But after completing the Tour, I still don’t have the jersey!

App crashed after 1:30, just as I was getting to the volcano side of the island. Needless to day I was a wee bit despondent.

Will see if I attempt it again on one of the make-up days.