Anyone using Zwift?

All good  :thumbup: . How long is your extension cable? Too long can also cause power issues. Shorter = better. Have you tried (just for a test) plugging dongle directly into laptop, put laptop on a bar chair next to you and test if it does the same? If not, you know it is the cable. 

Also...are there any other signals in the room (i.e. bluetooth music etc). Although it should not impact this at all, worth a try to switch off as well. 

The extension cable is 3m, but have tried the dongle in both the extension and direct in the port. Have issues with both.

The only other signal in the room is my phone, which has bluetooth activated. Will see this evening what happens if I turn it off

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a trainer / ANT issue - not Zwift it self.

As mentioned in the posts above try the following:

1:  Plug ANT stick direct into laptop.

2:  Make sure laptop plug into power and make sure the laptop does not have any power save modes enabled.

3:  Don't use your phone/ipad etc to connect to the trainer/ zwift via bluetooth while running the tests. 

If you do all of this and still have issues then try download a trial version of BKOOL or any other trainer software and run the same tests.  If the problem persists there is an issue with the trainer or ANT stick.  In this case, try borrow a stick from a friend to identify if it is the stick or trainer.

If the problem doesn't persist with different software, the problem is Zwift (unlikely).  Remove and re-install.

Thanks Dubber - will try the other software option and see what happens

I have a strange issue, whenever I change the speed on the large fan that is blowing on me the ANT+ drops and I have to exit Zwift and relaunch to get it going.  I've taken to setting the fan to max before I start my workout to avoid this, just means I'm a bit chilly for the first 5 minutes of my ride.  I'm using a laptop, but will try use the one USB 3.0 port for the dongle in future.

Edited by thisismyotherbike

I'm interested in getting Discovery points. Can anyone help? 

I use a CycleOps Hammer with Zwift. I also have a Garmin Edge 510 with speed and cadence sensors on my bike. Obviously when riding indoors on the Hammer my back wheel is off so no distance would be measured. 

Should I merely pop my Garmin on when I am riding Zwift and record my heart rate and cadence? Will this work and will I get the Discovery points (obviously assuming my heart rate is in the correct point zones)? 

Discovery have no interest in distance, only in duration of workout and % of HR, so when on Zwift record your ride with your 510, then upload to garmin connect and sync to Discovery.  You will get your points.

As others have said, if you also upload to Strava from Zwift and garmin, you will have 2 activities so just delete one.

I have a strange issue, whenever I change the speed on the large fan that is blowing on me the ANT+ drops and I have to exit Zwift and relaunch to get it going.  I've taken to setting the fan to max before I start my workout to avoid this, just means I'm a bit chilly for the first 5 minutes of my ride.  I'm using a laptop, but will try use the one USB 3.0 port for the dongle in future.

I have a similar issue:  I'm using a mini PC that has a surge protector built into the power supply.  On most occasions when I increase the speed of the fan, the PC 'shuts off' for a couple seconds.  I think it is the surge protector kicking in.  Fortunately, this doesn't affect the Zwift session or connectivity overall - I just loose picture on the monitor for a second or two.

I suspect the same is happening to you - but with slightly different symptoms.

Try running the fan from a different wall socket to you PC/laptop to see if that helps.

Thanks Dubber - will try the other software option and see what happens

Cool.  Let us know how you get on because I have the exact same set up:  Tacx Flux with ANT stick from sportsworld.  Only difference is I'm using a mini-pc with stick direct in the back of the box.

I have a similar issue:  I'm using a mini PC that has a surge protector built into the power supply.  On most occasions when I increase the speed of the fan, the PC 'shuts off' for a couple seconds.  I think it is the surge protector kicking in.  Fortunately, this doesn't affect the Zwift session or connectivity overall - I just loose picture on the monitor for a second or two.

I suspect the same is happening to you - but with slightly different symptoms.

Try running the fan from a different wall socket to you PC/laptop to see if that helps.

Thanks for this, gives me some insight

Unfortunately the room only has the one wall socket.

I've got an old UPS lying around, I'm going to put that between the wall socket and the laptop to see if that protects against the disruption.  I'm just a bit confused about the whole thing as the laptop is sure to have UPS like properties through its battery system anyway? 

Will report back

Thanks for this, gives me some insight

Unfortunately the room only has the one wall socket.

I've got an old UPS lying around, I'm going to put that between the wall socket and the laptop to see if that protects against the disruption.  I'm just a bit confused about the whole thing as the laptop is sure to have UPS like properties through its battery system anyway? 

Will report back

Could be EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) via the airwaves - change in energising electrical energy to the coils on that AC motor lets loose some electromagnetic energy via the ether - and the Ant+ gets a wobbly.

You could try screening the fan motor with a few layers of heavy foil, and tie this to the earth.

To prove the interference is not via the power, simply unplug the laptop and let it run off the battery.

Nice reply, thank you.

I also only run  the Garmin for Discovery points, but the con in doing this is that I get duplicate uploads on Strava. It would be good if Discovery would accept Zwift data, though i don't see that happening anytime soon.

There is an option to pair your Zwift account with Garmin Connect. Rides will be automatically uploaded to Garmin.

There is an option to pair your Zwift account with Garmin Connect. Rides will be automatically uploaded to Garmin.

i have this setup but for some reason i don't get the points on vitality

Cool.  Let us know how you get on because I have the exact same set up:  Tacx Flux with ANT stick from sportsworld.  Only difference is I'm using a mini-pc with stick direct in the back of the box.

Feed back - last night everything worked perfectly.

Did a 2hr ride without any issues.

I took all the devices out of the USB ports - I had 3 (2x mice and Ant+) and only used the Ant+. I also turned the bluetooth on my phone. Not sure what was causing the issue, but it appears as if everything is now sorted. :clap:

Although I really enjoy Zwift there is issues that they need to address.

I am really getting irritated with Zwift to be honest. The constant updates the last couple of weeks is a real pain and on top of that it seems that every update has added other issues.

The last 3 events I tried to attend I either never got pulled into the event start (after joining on the android app and on the menu when starting zwift on my pc) or just before the event I got "NO SIGNAL" messages on all my devices - never to return again - and then restarting zwift and reconnecting the event start has been missed.

Completed the Academy also and had to re-do a couple of the workouts since they did no get counted - I did not mind since the workouts are ok but when it needs to count to a goal it sucks.

Logging a support ticket also does not seem to help since nothing seems to get resolved by doing so. You get acknowledgement of receipt and that there is a problem but not recourse or fixes seem to come from this other than multiple updates that just seem to add additional issues.

Friday Rant over - let me log another support ticket... :thumbdown:

i have this setup but for some reason i don't get the points on vitality

Vitality will not recognise a trainer and needs to be recorded with a garmin or similar device.  So just switch on your garmin and record your zwift workout.

You can speak to cycleops who tried in vain to get vitality to accept workouts on their trainers and uploaded to garmin connect.

Vitality will only accept workouts recorded with the fitness devices they have listed.

Although I really enjoy Zwift there is issues that they need to address.

I am really getting irritated with Zwift to be honest. The constant updates the last couple of weeks is a real pain and on top of that it seems that every update has added other issues.

The last 3 events I tried to attend I either never got pulled into the event start (after joining on the android app and on the menu when starting zwift on my pc) or just before the event I got "NO SIGNAL" messages on all my devices - never to return again - and then restarting zwift and reconnecting the event start has been missed.

Completed the Academy also and had to re-do a couple of the workouts since they did no get counted - I did not mind since the workouts are ok but when it needs to count to a goal it sucks.

Logging a support ticket also does not seem to help since nothing seems to get resolved by doing so. You get acknowledgement of receipt and that there is a problem but not recourse or fixes seem to come from this other than multiple updates that just seem to add additional issues.

Friday Rant over - let me log another support ticket... :thumbdown:

Whats your internet setup like. Sounds like the issues I had on ADSL. Since I have been on fibre zwift has been flawless.

OK - so my Ant+ connection issues seem to be a thing of the past.

Maybe I'm being dof here, but when I select the just ride workout, the route that I select does not come up in the activity. It keeps giving me the 9km hilly route.

Is there something special one needs to do to change it.

OK - so my Ant+ connection issues seem to be a thing of the past.

Maybe I'm being dof here, but when I select the just ride workout, the route that I select does not come up in the activity. It keeps giving me the 9km hilly route.

Is there something special one needs to do to change it.

Yes, with just ride you will just go forward at each junction. You need to manually chose which way to go at each split, or choose a predefined route in the menu before starting your workout.