Anyone using Zwift?

12 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

I dumped Zwift in a frothy rage after one too many connections failures and dropped Ant+ devices. I now use SYSTM (Wahoo users get a 75d trial) and after a few months, the focused training is what I'm after. Training plans are curated and seem to target the requested outcome. It has racing footage which is fun and I find it more motivational than Zwift. Paid annually, it's cheaper too.

but since this is about Zwift, it's a fine platform if you know what the strengths and limitations are.

I too have switched over to SYSTM. I did a 4DP test last week so that I could start an All Purpose program. Nothing in particular I'm training for, but I need to gain fitness. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, lechatnoir said:

I dumped Zwift in a frothy rage after one too many connections failures and dropped Ant+ devices. I now use SYSTM (Wahoo users get a 75d trial) and after a few months, the focused training is what I'm after. Training plans are curated and seem to target the requested outcome. It has racing footage which is fun and I find it more motivational than Zwift. Paid annually, it's cheaper too.

but since this is about Zwift, it's a fine platform if you know what the strengths and limitations are.

OT...I've joined TR recently, as I cannot do zwift. I miss Sufferfest, but I have to believe TR will make me faster(which I find quote boring). 

Will be good to hear re SYSTM training plans vs Adaptive Training.

I now use SYSTM (Wahoo users get a 75d trial) and after a few months, the focused training is what I'm after.

What is defined as a Wahoo user?
I only have a Kickr Core and get a 14d trial period when joining SYSTM.

With winter approaching, also keen to know which way to go ...

Not to bothered about social participation, or game like platforms and would prefer budget friendly, structured/interval type workouts.

Will read back a few pages to pick up suggestions.

Have noted Rouvy, Trainer Road, Systm, RGT ...

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

oh!? i have a kickr 4 and they signed me up for 2.5months for mahala.

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

@Frostydid you register your product on their website, I have a second hand kickr 4 also got the 2.5 months.

3 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

@Frostydid you register your product on their website, I have a second hand kickr 4 also got the 2.5 months.

Yes, it's registered through the app.

After a short Google search, I found out that it is 14 days by default when signing up, then almost everyone reported getting an extra 60 days.

I don't need SYSTM for my own training, but rather so I can ensure that the guys I'm coaching can use it effectively. It's the only app I know that doesn't accommodate custom workouts, so I need to be able to see which of their workouts will do a similar job to the workouts planned. I can view the workouts and see the summary info but not the details (unless it's a workout they say one can do outside). If I can use it for 75 days for mohala, it might give me a better idea and thereby make a better decision.

I still like TR and Zwift for the simplicity of adding custom workouts and being able to switch modes while in the workout, eg. ERG on the warmup and then switch to incline/resistance for the work intervals. Obviously haven't used SYSTM yet, so can't comment on the ERG/Slope/Resistance swapping unless it's like the Wahoo app which allows changing on the fly.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I don't need SYSTM for my own training, but rather so I can ensure that the guys I'm coaching can use it effectively. It's the only app I know that doesn't accommodate custom workouts, so I need to be able to see which of their workouts will do a similar job to the workouts planned. I can view the workouts and see the summary info but not the details (unless it's a workout they say one can do outside). If I can use it for 75 days for mohala, it might give me a better idea and thereby make a better decision.

I still like TR and Zwift for the simplicity of adding custom workouts and being able to switch modes while in the workout, eg. ERG on the warmup and then switch to incline/resistance for the work intervals. Obviously haven't used SYSTM yet, so can't comment on the ERG/Slope/Resistance swapping unless it's like the Wahoo app which allows changing on the fly.

if there were a must/should/could/would have list for online platforms, custom workouts would be a must-have for SYSTM, and proper training programs would be on that list for Zwift (i say that having not used it for months). Another must-have for SYSTM would be proper music tracks - soft indie rock isn't appropriate for a HIIT session.

What Zwift does well is group sessions and races.

if there were a must/should/could/would have list for online platforms, custom workouts would be a must-have for SYSTM, and proper training programs would be on that list for Zwift (i say that having not used it for months). Another must-have for SYSTM would be proper music tracks - soft indie rock isn't appropriate for a HIIT session.

What Zwift does well is group sessions and races.

Why? I think SYSTM/Suf are sticking to their guns by forcing you to do what they believe you should. It's their philosophy. If you want flexibility in your training programme, try Xert. TR are now putting their own spin on this "adaptive training". What makes Xert a bit more appealing is the fact you never have to do a threshold test, unlike all the other platforms. 

It's clear the market is very diverse. If you can't pick a system (lol) based on the growing list, perhaps structured training isn't for you (collective noun). 

19 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Why? I think SYSTM/Suf are sticking to their guns by forcing you to do what they believe you should. It's their philosophy. If you want flexibility in your training programme, try Xert. TR are now putting their own spin on this "adaptive training". What makes Xert a bit more appealing is the fact you never have to do a threshold test, unlike all the other platforms. 

It's clear the market is very diverse. If you can't pick a system (lol) based on the growing list, perhaps structured training isn't for you (collective noun). 

You're right. Neil Henderson is the SYSTM coach-guru, and seeing one of the BTS workouts and all the world champs and GT stage winners he's coached, he probably knows what's good for me, but there is a Zwift workout (Wringer) that I miss that I can't seem to find replicated in their library. I guess I could always run that off my Garmin, but that's finnicky I find, esp the countdown to interval starts

The online training plans are just another “plan in a box” concept, and AI can only do so much. Great for the masses, but not my cup of tea.

Seems a lot (unquantified) of people are bored when doing workouts and need some form of stimulation to keep their mind off the apparent hurtbox. Not saying it’s a bad thing, but workouts aren’t meant to be easy, and racing isn’t meant to be a lekker tour through the countryside watching the views. Focus is on wheel(s) in front of, or next to, you.

Anyway, I’ll use SYSTM after my end of season break and then make up my mind. Hopefully I still get the extra 60 days as a Wahoo user.

18 hours ago, Thomo said:

With winter approaching, also keen to know which way to go ...

Not to bothered about social participation, or game like platforms and would prefer budget friendly, structured/interval type workouts.

Will read back a few pages to pick up suggestions.

Have noted Rouvy, Trainer Road, Systm, RGT ...

Again do not forget FulGaz

Not focussed on big social rides with other users but great software and great videos (A LOT!!) 

And they were acquired by IronMan (BIG company that also owns the Cape Epic)

Edited by pedal menace

57 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Again do not forget FulGaz

Not focussed on big social rides with other users but great software and great videos (A LOT!!) 

And they were acquired by IronMan (BIG company that also owns the Cape Epic)

I had a closer look at Fulgaz yesterday, and the videos look very appealing. I see someone managed to record the entire CTCT, so since I failed to finish it this year, I might juts tackle it on Fulgaz! 14 trial period, like most.