Anyone using Zwift?

is it only me, or does Zwift update every damn time I use it?  I try to do most riding outdoors, so maybe do one session on the trainer every week or two, running Zwift from my phone.  The main reason for using zwift is because it's easy to build custom workouts and I have previously created a set of custom workouts that I use from a previous training program.

I can't care less if I have neon wheels or if I'm riding in a new world, I just find it super annoying that I need to download at install a huge update almost every time that I want to break away for a 45 min workout.  Any way to make updates optional?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the Zwift companion to control the BT connections. Make sure Zwift is connected first prior to connected anything else i.e. phone is on and connected and Zwift companion up and running with manage BT connections enabled. then connect HR, trainer etc.

7 minutes ago, rudi-h said:

is it only me, or does Zwift update every damn time I use it?  I try to do most riding outdoors, so maybe do one session on the trainer every week or two, running Zwift from my phone.  The main reason for using zwift is because it's easy to build custom workouts and I have previously created a set of custom workouts that I use from a previous training program.

I can't care less if I have neon wheels or if I'm riding in a new world, I just find it super annoying that I need to download at install a huge update almost every time that I want to break away for a 45 min workout.  Any way to make updates optional?

I think they are getting more strict on it, actually, as every time a new update is released there are lots of issues between people who have and have not yet updated.

Usually there is just one big update per month, but recently there have been a couple of bug-fix ones inbetween (update was 19th Aug, bug-fix releases 25th Aug and 2nd Sept).

9 hours ago, rudi-h said:

I also do most of my rides outdoors.

So I expect updates when I start it up .... often I start up Zwift earlier just to allow for the updates

PS . Yesterdays loooong climb up a mountain pass had me both thanking Zwift, and kicking my own back side for not doing more of these Zwift sessions during winter.  I KNOW that without Zwift I would have been in deep poo yesterday.

Edited by ChrisF

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 10:36 AM, Andymann said:

So some info for those of you who are still using TACX Vortex Smart Wheel on Trainers - I enrolled again for this years ZWIFT academy and decided to do a ramp test just to get my FTP accurate.  I don't normally use ERG mode (dead against it) but for some reason the test defaulted to ERG ON and I was halfway through when I realized so I just left it on.  Long story short at the second last ramp just before 420W ERG cut out and zero resistance.  Thought it was just the end of the test, but turns out my trainer had blown - I have surge protection plugs and the lights come on, but as soon as you get going for about 10mins it switches off - looks like there must be some type of Thermal Fuse built in somewhere.  Guess you shouldn't use ERG with a ramp test.

Sent the trainer off to Garmin - they do some tests and yes, its blown and no you cant repair it, so please pay R9000 for an upgrade to a FluxS.  Not totally convinced that you can't repair the electronics, I do some research and find a small online bike shop in Belgium who sells the replacement Electronic units for about R2500.

I've taken a chance and ordered one - the guy assures me that he sells hundreds of them and that they often blow - which is why he has them in stock.

It should arrive in the next few weeks, so I'll keep everyone posted!

Ahh good old Tacx and their replace not repair policy. Good luck with the Belgian replacement unit!

I use ERG mode almost exclusively for training and have smashed bajillions of watts through it  (including ramp tests, VO2 etc) without issue (that said I do have the Elite Direto rated for 2,000w so I think I'm pretty safe).

3 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Ahh good old Tacx and their replace not repair policy. Good luck with the Belgian replacement unit!

I use ERG mode almost exclusively for training and have smashed bajillions of watts through it  (including ramp tests, VO2 etc) without issue (that said I do have the Elite Direto rated for 2,000w so I think I'm pretty safe).

Well the part coincidentally arrived today - ordered on the 7th September via Aramex Global shopper, the total cost delivered to my door was R3460. Not a cheap exercise, but cheaper than the R9000 I would have had to pay for a new Flux and while the TACX Flow isn't a bad trainer, it's not a Vortex Smart.  And it's also R5500 for a new Flow.

So I'm happy (ish).  I don't think the Vortex should have blown up in the first place - it's not like I was doing anything that the Trainer wasn't designed for,  so I am down R3.5k, but It could have been a lot worse!

6 minutes ago, Andymann said:

Well the part coincidentally arrived today - ordered on the 7th September via Aramex Global shopper, the total cost delivered to my door was R3460. Not a cheap exercise, but cheaper than the R9000 I would have had to pay for a new Flux and while the TACX Flow isn't a bad trainer, it's not a Vortex Smart.  And it's also R5500 for a new Flow.

So I'm happy (ish).  I don't think the Vortex should have blown up in the first place - it's not like I was doing anything that the Trainer wasn't designed for,  so I am down R3.5k, but It could have been a lot worse!

100% with you. Apart from some kind of power surge these things should be designed to absorb the (relatively) puny power that humans make!

1 minute ago, Eldron said:

100% with you. Apart from some kind of power surge these things should be designed to absorb the (relatively) puny power that humans make!

Crazy thing is, I was running a Surge Protection plug so I can only think it was heat related.  Other interesting thing was when I removed the cover to check, it was unplugged - usually you have to release a clip and unplug it.  So the other theory is that it wasn't plugged in correctly from the factory and with the test it disconnected itself and most likely damaged the power supply.  I then plugged it back in properly (thought I had scored there!) but the damage was already done I guess.

We've had two units blow because of Eskom's erratic supply and you can see the blown component pretty easily.  I checked on my board and that part was fine.

Anyway, I do have it in writing now from Garmin that they recommend fitting Surge Protection plugs to the trainers, and that cutting the supply cable and fitting said plug will not void the warranty.

Seems like there is a culture of Devops/Agile at Zwift where they roll out updates really quickly and let you test them to find the faults. So you turn your users in to beta testers and then monitor the feedback for things that are broken, which si a much quicker way to find faults than lengthy testing schedules. 

Well the second-last update broke Bluetooth  on Windows10 - the people are really bleak - myself included because I use Bluetooth and not ANT+.  The Forum is full of it, but for now, nothing seems to be happening to fix it.

Need assistance please. How do I connect Zwift onto my phone via Blue Tooth as well as my Polar Vantage M for heart rate recording please? I can get it to connect to my phone but then it will not connect to my watch as well.

• 4 weeks later...

So in news that's gone almost unnoticed on this here forum.

Rouvy now offers workouts on AR routes. So can smash intervals while your little cartoon man rides up the tourmalet and a bunch of iconic climbs instead of the saaaaaame boring old Alp du Zwift

And they have an incredibly basic beginner training plan. I'm sure that's the start of things to come. Add to that I have myself, my wife and my step daughter all linked on the 1 $15 subscription makes it a bit of a bargain.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

28 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

So in news that's gone almost unnoticed on this here forum.

Rouvy now offers workouts on AR routes. So can smash intervals while your little cartoon man rides up the tourmalet and a bunch of iconic climbs instead of the saaaaaame boring old Alp du Zwift

And they have an incredibly basic beginner training plan. I'm sure that's the start of things to come. Add to that I have myself, my wife and my step daughter all linked on the 1 $15 subscription makes it a bit of a bargain.

As you like to try all the apps out there, you heard of mywoosh https://mywhoosh.com/ ? Zwift alternative, UAE based, ride in the deserts, many routes and races on a Friday from what i can see. Currently free to use. https://my-whoosh.com/faq, read on some forums no longer works on android and only on IOS.

Not tested it myself as not on IOS and no longer have a smart trainer. 

May be of interest to some, so posting it here as it seems to be well under the radar....

12 hours ago, Rob K said:

It's time Zwift got some competition!!!

100% agree.

They do have the formula pretty spot on tho. One has to admit.