Anyone using Zwift?

2 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Read an interesting article today:

Zwift on PC: The Ultimate Guide to Running Zwift at Its Very Best | Zwift Insider

Graphics cards have unfortunately become ridiculously expensive. Prices have increased on avg 80% - 100% in last 16 months. I still use my very old GT 1030 and although I suspect the graphics can be better - I am happy. Probably better not to know what it could look like! 

4K graphics are only applicable if you have a 4K display, this is what people keep forgetting. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

4K graphics are only applicable if you have a 4K display, this is what people keep forgetting. 

Yup agreed - I have connected my PC to a 42" 4k TV in my pain cave! The FulGaz 4k Videos looks amazing. The big display is a pleasure - but I struggle to justify the price for a graphics card to get Zwift in 4K. I just do not think the difference in quality is worth the price. Looks like the cheapest card to give you 4K Zwift will be around R5k. Rest of my PC is fine specs wise. 

On 4/6/2022 at 7:49 PM, ChrisF said:

Okayyyy .... not sure if this question belongs in the Zwift thread or in the KickrCore thread ....

My KickrCore is almost 3 years old, low milage as it is only used during rainy times.  I much prefer riding outside.

It is connected to a NUC PC, and I use an Ant+ dongle.  The dongle is next to the front wheel, and would need a USB extender cable to move further back, but as I have not had connection issues before I have left it like this.   

The system have been 98% stable during the last couple of years.

The NUC used to run on Win8.  December I started getting messages from Zwift that they wont be supporting Win8, and that I should upgrade to Win10 .... I hung in until it would not start Zwift, then did the software upgrade.  By the way, the NUC is only used for this purpose and runs no other software.

I have done a couple of Zwift rides since the Win10 upgrade, and the system worked fine (except for a slower boot up) 

Last week the heart rate monitor would not pick up .... I removed the battery, realised I had used my spares, put the old battery back, and the system worked fine - RED FLAG ONE ....

Last night the system worked 100%.

Tonight I had the time of my life to get Zwift to work.  Or rather for Zwift to see the heart rate monitor, cadence sensor and the Kickr .....  It would keep dropping one of the three ....  It took me almost 30 minutes before I could start the ride, and then Zwift was buffering like I have never seen before.  During the ride the hear rate monitor started losing connection after 5 minutes, it would reconnect intermittently and then fall away again .... later the cadence sensor started doing the same .... thankfully it did not drop the Kickr and I got to finish the ride, and save it.  Clearly something was not lekka .....

The NUC links via wifi.  No, I did not think to check the internet speed at the time.

Thus the question : "What could have caused the connection issues tonight?"

- Win10 doing stuff in the background ?  (maybe just start the NUC earlier and let Win10 do its stuff before starting Zwift)

- Possibly a slower than usual internet connection ?

- Would a LAN-cable be better than wifi connection ?  (minor shlep, but easy to do for the few rides I do on the IDT)

- I have bought batteries, and will replace the heart rate monitor battery .... though it would be strange if the cadence sensor battery decided to act up at exactly the same time .....  At least it is easy to remove these two items from the list of questions.

- position of the Ant+ unit ?  Some sources suggest it should ideally be close to the crank, but this have not been an issue for a few years .....  (maybe a combination of this and 3 year old batteries?)

- or is it just the phase of the moon and all will be alligned again tomorrow ....

Nice when these toys work ..... less so tonight ... :P

Update ....

Ran a cable from the router to the NUC.  So any buffering is now in the NUC (which IS slow, and the internet connection)

New batteries in the cadence sensor and in the heart rate monitor  (I see I have previously replaced the battery in the heart rate monitor)

Started up the NUC and gave Win10 a few minutes to run its stuff in the back ground ...

Zwift started a bit quicker.  And then on the device pairing screen is hovered for a while .... connect then disconnect .... each device did a couple of connects and disconnects ....

And then it went on the routes and the system worked 100% during a short ride.

good weather for the next week, so a while before I will start the IDT again .... will see if it will work 100% then ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 3:00 PM, Thomo said:

With winter approaching, also keen to know which way to go ...

Not to bothered about social participation, or game like platforms and would prefer budget friendly, structured/interval type workouts.

Will read back a few pages to pick up suggestions.

Have noted Rouvy, Trainer Road, Systm, RGT ...

If you want free you can try a thing called Spivi. They run it at my step daughter's gym. No ERG mode so you have to make the power with your gears. I tried it and fir a freebie it's ok.

If you run mac you can try mywoosh. It's also free (for now) but only runs on mac.

On 4/27/2022 at 6:05 PM, Thomo said:

... and adds a premium to the RGT subscription it seems. ☹️

Not really, if you pay annually, your net increase is < $1 and you gain the subscription to sufferfest for free.

I personally only run a zwift sub in Winter, so not keen on an annual commitment, but for most i sense it will.

On 4/26/2022 at 6:23 PM, mecheng89 said:

Beat me to it. 

Wahoo UPPING their game. I already have SYSTM, so the added RGT is just s bonus. I enjoyed Rouvy's videos, but I think RGTs are better. 

Opinions on the RGT game play / virtual experience? Seems like much better graphic quality and the GPX upload / magic road feature seems quite appealing.

On 4/26/2022 at 6:28 PM, mecheng89 said:

Hmmm.... internal error....

image.png.c06959bfc711606e08f74eb5e20b3ba8.png

I'm getting the same error...

1 hour ago, Kom said:

Opinions on the RGT game play / virtual experience? Seems like much better graphic quality and the GPX upload / magic road feature seems quite appealing.

For me if you want gamey, Zwift is much better than RGT.

Free RGT was fine for the summer for when the SE humps for a week but I'm too tight to pony up the $17 a month for Zwift when I'd much rather ride outside, or surf, or run, or maybe wash the dishes.

Top tip. You can join events and ride other people's magic roads as part of the freebie. The free workouts are limited but ok.

I really wish Zwift would do a family option like Rouvy. $17 is too expensive IMO.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

4 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

I'm getting the same error...

Have you reset your password? That seems to work.
If you do reset, wait at least 9 hours before getting the reset email.

Took me one full day, and I was only trying to get into my Wahoo account

40 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Have you reset your password? That seems to work.
If you do reset, wait at least 9 hours before getting the reset email.

Took me one full day, and I was only trying to get into my Wahoo account

I took the leap and paid for the membership, then it worked straight away.

5 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

For me if you want gamey, Zwift is much better than RGT.

Free RGT was fine for the summer for when the SE humps for a week but I'm too tight to pony up the $17 a month for Zwift when I'd much rather ride outside, or surf, or run, or maybe wash the dishes.

Top tip. You can join events and ride other people's magic roads as part of the freebie. The free workouts are limited but ok.

I really wish Zwift would do a family option like Rouvy. $17 is too expensive IMO.

The big positive with Zwift is its month to month subscription option.  The 25km free per month is also handy.

During the wet Cape winter I pay Zwift with a smile.

Rest of the year I use those free kilometers a few times.