Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will die eventually when all the EBike haters become Ebike Riders /Lovers

The way manufacturers are pushing Ebikes I guess they’ll be the norm in a few years.

Tour de France and World Champs will restrict power to 250w so everyone is on equal gains [emoji85][emoji1787]

Edited by gummibear

When I'm 60 I will get an ebike.

I'll want one on Saturday at the 130km mark on the ATP.

With the masses at fun rides these will pass easily.

All assisted bikes should be painted pink for identification purposes.

Pink? Any particular reason for pink..... ????

Hahaha yeah! Whenever someone flies past me now it's always a quick look at the bike to see if that's the reason. In the past the reason was far easier to spot. It was a quick look down at myself :(

Ja i do the same ????

Normally the riders pedalling cadence gives it away

Lower relaxed cadence in relation to the speed.

Last Saturday I was out riding Trail Z at Hoogekraal, and stopped to watch a couple fish eagles flying overhead, calling out to one another. As I stood there, 2 okes come pedaling past, and the one tunes his buddy, "ek hoop nie hierdie ou ry 'n e-baaik nie, want dan gaan hy ons vinnig inhaal en blah blah blah" as they passed me...

I had a good chuckle at them. I did in fact catch up to them not long afterwards, but I was riding my Camber Comp 29. I don't think you can get much farther from an e-bike than that bike. 

When I'm 60 I will get an ebike.

I'll want one on Saturday at the 130km mark on the ATP.

The sad part about this is all the 60+ year olds who now think they can still race the trails like a 20 something year old and dont have the skills or reaction speed anymore.

Know of 3 old timers who have done themselves serious damage in the past month having purchased an ebike and now doing trails they cant really cope with. Broken clavicles, ribs, etc...

The sad part about this is all the 60+ year olds who now think they can still race the trails like a 20 something year old and dont have the skills or reaction speed anymore.

Know of 3 old timers who have done themselves serious damage in the past month having purchased an ebike and now doing trails they cant really cope with. Broken clavicles, ribs, etc...

That's so ageist, but you make a good point about the added speed, on level and uphills that an eBike enables. Downhill, it should not make much difference but will enable you to arrive at a corner or drop after a flat section a bit quicker.

What you should have said is that anybody who is not technically proficient is more likely to come short on an eBike, 25 year old's included. :-)

Saw an article on my google news feed this morning about two Italians who fled after other racers at a road event set the police on them as they were suspected of secretly riding electric road bikes in the event.

It will die eventually when all the EBike haters become Ebike Riders /Lovers

Few people dislike eBikes, few people dislike the positivity they can bring to families who would not be able to have fun together without them. Or how they improve shuttle days, or commutes to and from work instead of driving.

Some people dislike the lazy, short cutters who use them to fill the holes in their exgolfing egos.

Well I'm 50 now and very in touch with my limitations not all of which are age related.

I love the trails but its moments like Robbies fish eagles that do it for me. I came down the first faircape descent not long ago and a large bird of prey took off from my right and soared over the valley taking my heart with him and leaving behind a sense of his wings as I did a PR down the slope.

I still want that feeling at 60.

Still dead center of the strava field though.

Well I'm 50 now and very in touch with my limitations not all of which are age related.

I love the trails but its moments like Robbies fish eagles that do it for me. I came down the first faircape descent not long ago and a large bird of prey took off from my right and soared over the valley taking my heart with him and leaving behind a sense of his wings as I did a PR down the slope.

I still want that feeling at 60.

Still dead center of the strava field though.

Also 50.

Though at the back end of the mid pack (on a good day)

But damn it is nice when I do manage a decent time, under my own steam.  :clap:

Let's see how far I can get into the 50's before I cant keep up with Maritz .... :wacko:  dan kan hy n slag vir my wag ....  :whistling:

I will most likely buy an ebike at some stage, but may that be a good few years in the future ...

. Broken clavicles, ribs, etc...

Broken both on a normal mtb :ph34r:  :whistling:

Reports here in the news weekly about people getting injured on Ebikes  and Escooters.Parliment is busy debating new laws for both as they are considered to be motorised vehicles.

Ageist not, I am also no spring chicken. :mellow:

My comment was merely that it has given many older guys the freedom to explore the mountains and trails they are not accustomed to. They also end up riding with guys who are probably a lot more advanced and feel they can "keep up" going well beyond their limitations.

I have paid my school fees but I did it when I was a lot younger and could probably heal better and faster and I am now only too aware of my limitations. And sadly I still pay school fees on far to regular an occasion.... :wacko:

An e-bike will definitely come in handy when the legs have failed me but hopefully with an e-bike I will also understand my limitations having been riding for many years beforehand which some of these guys haven't done... a mere observation, ageist most certainly not.... 

Tell us 50 somethings that we can't do something a younger bloke can and we're bound to get a bit twitchy.

That having been said if that ridiculous muppet with his patronising tone and his grey hair, toothpaste smile and sophomoric college frat quarterback looks pops up in my youtube feed and tells me one more time that he's put up a free video telling me how to get plastic abs like his and score with women barely older than my daughter, he's going to get my shimano up his bontrager.

Ageist not, I am also no spring chicken. :mellow:

My comment was merely that it has given many older guys the freedom to explore the mountains and trails they are not accustomed to. They also end up riding with guys who are probably a lot more advanced and feel they can "keep up" going well beyond their limitations.

I have paid my school fees but I did it when I was a lot younger and could probably heal better and faster and I am now only too aware of my limitations. And sadly I still pay school fees on far to regular an occasion.... :wacko:

An e-bike will definitely come in handy when the legs have failed me but hopefully with an e-bike I will also understand my limitations having been riding for many years beforehand which some of these guys haven't done... a mere observation, ageist most certainly not....