Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

First time in over 20 years that private land owners are blocking access to mountain bikers and all because of the twats on ebikes.

They have no respect for the land owners and their families.

e21b2021fc9e17439a98f93ff3ee35ec.jpg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First time in over 20 years that private land owners are blocking access to mountain bikers and all because of the twats on ebikes.

Always the few screwing it up for the many ...

How is this picture related to twats on E-Bikes?

Looks like properties closed in France and Germany: I'd imagine there was nothing stopping people riding scramblers on that land in the past. Some people are assholes, doesn't matter if they're walking, running, riding a bicycle, riding an ebike or riding a scrambler. Disrespectfullness is technology agnostic.

Opening your land, or it being open de facto will get abused. If you open your land you have to accept that you'll get assholes and either make peace with that as a land owner or put steps in place to limit assholes.

You can't reason with a mob. It just takes one. Tygerberg club and the Traverse is a good example.

Edited by aquaratza

How is this picture related to twats on E-Bikes?

For the last 3-4 months the private land owners have been battling with these groups of ebikers.They scare their dogs,horses and cows.Most of them are youngsters and ride in groups of 6-12 at a time.In some cases some of the people have been threatened by the riders.

Now the roads through these private areas have been closed and no access to some of the best trails[emoji3525][emoji2959]

Looks like properties closed in France and Germany: I'd imagine there was nothing stopping people riding scramblers on that land in the past. Some people are assholes, doesn't matter if they're walking, running, riding a bicycle, riding an ebike or riding a scrambler. Disrespectfullness is technology agnostic. Opening your land, or it being open de facto will get abused. If you open your land you have to accept that you'll get assholes and either make peace with that as a land owner or put steps in place to limit assholes.

It’s in Luxembourg so boards are in French or German depending on where you are closest to.

The law stopped quads and scramblers from riding in the forests.

Always the few screwing it up for the many ...

I reckon not every ebiker is a twat but every mountain biking twat that has the money owns an ebike.

For the last 3-4 months the private land owners have been battling with these groups of ebikers.They scare their dogs,horses and cows.Most of them are youngsters and ride in groups of 6-12 at a time.In some cases some of the people have been threatened by the riders.

Now the roads through these private areas have been closed and no access to some of the best trails[emoji3525][emoji2959]

What a pity .....  :thumbdown:   :cursing:

I reckon not every ebiker is a twat but every mountain biking twat that has the money owns an ebike.

I know a few ebikers and sometimes ride with them and no problems at all.So definitely not all of them.These youngsters feel they can do as they please though.

Thinking of getting my wife one for summer[emoji106]

I know a few ebikers and sometimes ride with them and no problems at all.So definitely not all of them.These youngsters feel they can do as they please though.

To be fair, pretty sure those guys would have been assholes if they were on normal bikes too.

Same here - we have some awesome oldies that still want to give it horns on the club road rides so they bought ebikes. That said the general twat-decent human ratio is pretty low here in Denmark.

The vast majority of my difficult customers are expats and for some stereotyping fun - I have 1 single Indian customer that always haggles me broken.

To be fair, pretty sure those guys would have been assholes if they were on normal bikes too.

Every so often 2 or 3 high school kids gets a bit hyper on the kids pump track at Bloemendal ....

No issue when they are on their own.  NOT so safe when they cut across the lines, grabbing air, etc with 20 or 30 toddlers on the track ....

Recall having walked onto the track 2 or 3 times to ask these bigger kids to "play nicely" while the youngsters are on the pump track.

For context though - these are 2 or 3 kids out of a membership getting close to 10 000.

I can see how the farmers could have a problem when 10 to 12 of these youngsters gets mob-mentality and get stupid on private land .... as you say, mode of transport would be totally irrelevant to such a mob.

trying to catch on this hornets nest and then said pheq it....

So eBikes are going to quadruple their power output? I doubt that VERY much. Do you know this or did you just make that up?

What do you base your damage statement on? I've done a fair bit of trail maintenance in my time and most trail damage I've seen is as a result of water runoff.

Easy to do. There are 2.5Kw motors in electric model planes and drones. No problem fitting these to a bicycle. Small and light and expensive

Damage to the trails ... normal vs ebike ?

Look at the various YouTube videos ....

My OPNION is that the vast majority of damage results from dragging the wheels into the corners, and roosting the burms ....  BOTH bikes can enter these fast enough to lock the wheels ....  It is up to the rider to modulate the brakes to not damage the trails.

My OBSERVATION of the eriders I have encountered at Meerendal and Bloemendal is that they are so busy NOT upsetting other MTB riders that they dont lock brakes into corners.  Frankly I often see much worse behaviour from standard MTB riders on these trails ...

I agree ebikers usually don;t have the skill to lock brakes and come out the other side without passing through ER first.

I got flamed for suggesting that soon an eBike will have 2000w. Well here is one with 1500w and I will bet that it will be well over 2000w within 2 years. See the dirt fly as it rips-up the trail:

https://neematic.com/

see above, easy to get up to 3kw motors now. Battery capacity is still the limiter.

And now where are we exactly.....?

trying to catch on this hornets nest and then said pheq it....

Easy to do. There are 2.5Kw motors in electric model planes and drones. No problem fitting these to a bicycle. Small and light and expensive

I agree ebikers usually don;t have the skill to lock brakes and come out the other side without passing through ER first.

see above, easy to get up to 3kw motors now. Battery capacity is still the limiter.

And now where are we exactly.....?

eMBN regularly test e-bikes with motors in excess of 1kW.  These things are seriously powerful !!  Easy to cause damage to trails with this ....

In fact, with a 250W motor set to full boost it is "very easy" to spin the rear wheel coming out of slow turns !!  

Uhm ja .....   :whistling:  :ph34r:  interesting range of skill levels amongst ebike riders ....  or lack thereoff ... 

Edited by ChrisF

The twats the got the trail closed between Contemans and Hillcrest (kluiprug I think) were not on ebikes.  Does that mean we must see all non ebike riders as the problem ?