Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

There was some guy at Cowhouse 3 weeks ago that made some snarky comment to my sister in law and wife. My wife rides an e-bike. 

All I can say is, lucky for him I was not with them. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was some guy at Cowhouse 3 weeks ago that made some snarky comment to my sister in law and wife. My wife rides an e-bike.

Some things are just not worth getting upset over. A snarky comment about riding an ebike is one of those things.

what did he say?

The fact that he made a comment not knowing why my wife rides an e-bike and just assuming it is because she is lazy is what gets me all worked up.

She had a stroke a few years back and is on heart and blood pressure medication and her hear rate needs to stay in specific zones, so the only way for her to still enjoy mtb and ride with me is with an e-bike.

But yeah, I am with you, certain people are just better if you ignore them.

Some things are just not worth getting upset over. A snarky comment about riding an ebike is one of those things.

The fact that he made a comment not knowing why my wife rides an e-bike and just assuming it is because she is lazy is what gets me all worked up.

She had a stroke a few years back and is on heart and blood pressure medication and her hear rate needs to stay in specific zones, so the only way for her to still enjoy mtb and ride with me is with an e-bike.

strongs to your wife for keeping her cycling passion alive by getting an e-bike

GOOD that your wife stays active, despite what life has thrown your way.

I have had my fair share of comments while riding my ebike.  MOST are clearly tongue in cheek, and just part of the vibe on the trail.  I often reply along the lines of "this is my chair lift" .... 

And yet every so often somebody thinks it is their duty to explain to me that I am too young to ride an ebike .... if only they knew how I wished I could still grind my way up the climbs.  More importantly, just like your wife, the ebike allows me to enjoy the trails.  Early on I decided to NOT let these uninformed persons get under my skin.

On a lighter note .... every so often my naughty streak comes out and I chirp another rider on an ebike.  Absolutely priceless to see their reaction when they realise I am also on an ebike.   :whistling:

GOOD that your wife stays active, despite what life has thrown your way.

I have had my fair share of comments while riding my ebike.  MOST are clearly tongue in cheek, and just part of the vibe on the trail.  I often reply along the lines of "this is my chair lift" .... 

And yet every so often somebody thinks it is their duty to explain to me that I am too young to ride an ebike .... if only they knew how I wished I could still grind my way up the climbs.  More importantly, just like your wife, the ebike allows me to enjoy the trails.  Early on I decided to NOT let these uninformed persons get under my skin.

On a lighter note .... every so often my naughty streak comes out and I chirp another rider on an ebike.  Absolutely priceless to see their reaction when they realise I am also on an ebike.   :whistling:

I would say the opposite ... maybe you are too old to be on any bike and I should "take care" of your e-bike for a little while :P

I landed up with a heart condition and a defibrilator 2 years ago out of the blue at the age of 47 when I thought I was the fittest and healthiest person I knew.

Anyways I have to monitor my heart rate very closey now but fought getting an ebike for 2 years. Now I cant believe I waited so long and wasted those 2 years cycling on my own, getting overtaken by runners when going up a steep hill etc.

Now I can ride with my old cycling partners again and go out for decent length rides.

But the downside is I still look fit and healthy (unless I have my shirt off, then you can see the defibrillator and scars) on my bike so I have had to endure the odd comment about being lazy or cheating etc.

I do have a bit of an ego so can be hard to turn the other cheek sometimes ..... still trying to work out the perfect comeback line when this happens  :whistling:

I landed up with a heart condition and a defibrilator 2 years ago out of the blue at the age of 47 when I thought I was the fittest and healthiest person I knew.

Anyways I have to monitor my heart rate very closey now but fought getting an ebike for 2 years. Now I cant believe I waited so long and wasted those 2 years cycling on my own, getting overtaken by runners when going up a steep hill etc.

Now I can ride with my old cycling partners again and go out for decent length rides.

But the downside is I still look fit and healthy (unless I have my shirt off, then you can see the defibrillator and scars) on my bike so I have had to endure the odd comment about being lazy or cheating etc.

I do have a bit of an ego so can be hard to turn the other cheek sometimes ..... still trying to work out the perfect comeback line when this happens  :whistling:

Just ride with your shirt off then man .......... :P

lol .... even before the operations that was not a pretty sight

Saggy when I ride on my own, I just laugh and say "this is my chair lift ..."

When I ride with Maritz (9-year old), I just say: "This is the only way I can keep up with him..."  MOST parents laugh nervously and say they need to get an ebike ...  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Saggy sadly in 99 an ebike was not an option, and I stopped cycling for 17 years.  WORST thing I could ever have done !!  We are truly blessed with all the technology that keeps us going now.  :thumbup:   :clap:

Please share when you find the perfect comeback line as I see I will need it as well based on some peoples need to make stupid comments  :cursing:

..... still trying to work out the perfect comeback line when this happens  :whistling:

Please share when you find the perfect comeback line as I see I will need it as well based on some peoples need to make stupid comments  :cursing:

Also listening keenly as my SO is also considering getting herself an e-bike to ride with me.

Just get a bumper sticker saying "My other motorbike is a Ducati"

Oops, Hairy's fetish is out the closet... Nude men on ebikes [emoji14]