Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I bet she'd be slimmer and fitter if she had simply started riding a real bike...

Possibly. But thats not the point of my post. 

It irks me when people post crap statements purely because they cant take the time to think something through.

Eldron's idea for the day. Each of us have a quick stab at how much time we've wasted on this thread then take that amount of time and do something useful - like join the Edenvale march.

Actions over words.

I dont see it as time wasted, if we cannot accept one another and respect others on trails, how do we expect runners, walkers and drivers to accept cyclists?

I dont see it as time wasted, if we cannot accept one another and respect others on trails, how do we expect runners, walkers and drivers to accept cyclists?

Are we reading the same thread? I don't see a lot of respect or acceptance on this one. Or most threads really.

We mostly just play passive aggressive and aggressive aggressive here on the hub.

Really, can you be so close minded? 

How about this lady who is not a well known trail builder?

electric-bikes-raleigh-electric-weight-l

My name is Rhonda Martin. On February 7, 2012, I weighed 457 pounds. I was 40 years old and my health was declining quickly. I could only walk about 150 steps at a time before I was winded and exhausted. I decided I was tired of just existing and wanted to live again.

I started off by just focusing on one healthy meal a day. Once I became comfortable with that, I added another healthy meal. I bought a pedometer and challenged myself to walk just 100 more steps each day. It was at this point that I discovered electric bikes while working with Chuck at an Expo. After walking by the bikes about 10 times, I decided to try it.

more here

http://www.prettydamnedfast.com/blog/raleigh-ebike

she now rides to work

E-bikes changed her life.

electric-bikes-raleigh-electric-redux-ri

if you don't think she should have an e-bike, then you're an A$$hole.

As a country with huge health issues and rampant obesity, e-bikes are an amazing way to get people back into shape. I can even see disco and the rest using it for rewards.

post-3602-0-97707500-1541496426_thumb.png

Are we reading the same thread? I don't see a lot of respect or acceptance on this one. Or most threads really.

We mostly just play passive aggressive and aggressive aggressive here on the hub.

Maybe just see things with a positive tint. If this thread makes one person go, agh, they not so bad lets say Hi as they ride past the e-biker then its worth it. Otherwise you have the same bike vs car thing going. 

Maybe just see things with a positive tint. If this thread makes one person go, agh, they not so bad lets say Hi as they ride past the e-biker then its worth it. Otherwise you have the same bike vs car thing going.

Fair point. Me - I don't think this thread will change a single thing.

I don't think anyone really thinks ebikes are bad. This thread is pretty redundant. I reckon in 99% of bicycle /ebike interactions in real life there will be a bit of ragging, a bit of banter and both riders will carry on with their lives.

This thread in indicative of the also ran mentality.  The position of the cyclist is simple, "If you want to be a cyclist then ride a bicycle."  Although quad biking, motorbiking and e-biking are similar to bicycling, they are not the same.  Just because it looks like a bicycle, does not mean it is a bicycle.  

Being in the boy scouts, police force, nursing or fire brigade does not mean you are a soldier or visa versa.  Although it may seem the same to outsiders, it is very different to those involved.  Uniformed is not the same as military.

Being able to operate msoffice does not make you a computer programmer, and being a computer programmer does not mean that you know msoffice like a wizzkid.

The important consideration is that e-bikes have a place in society, they are great weight-loss tools (but also can work in the reverse), they are also great for commuting, for trail laying, for adventuring and doing personal tours.  But just like motorboats are not raced at sailing events, e-bikes cannot be raced against normal bikes.

Any attempt to "mix" e-bikes with bicycles in a competition, or to compare or equate e-bikes with bicycles,  deserves the ridicule and ire it gets.  

Really, can you be so close minded? 

How about this lady who is not a well known trail builder?

electric-bikes-raleigh-electric-weight-l

My name is Rhonda Martin. On February 7, 2012, I weighed 457 pounds. I was 40 years old and my health was declining quickly. I could only walk about 150 steps at a time before I was winded and exhausted. I decided I was tired of just existing and wanted to live again.

I started off by just focusing on one healthy meal a day. Once I became comfortable with that, I added another healthy meal. I bought a pedometer and challenged myself to walk just 100 more steps each day. It was at this point that I discovered electric bikes while working with Chuck at an Expo. After walking by the bikes about 10 times, I decided to try it.

more here

http://www.prettydamnedfast.com/blog/raleigh-ebike

she now rides to work

E-bikes changed her life.

electric-bikes-raleigh-electric-redux-ri

if you don't think she should have an e-bike, then you're an A$$hole.

As a country with huge health issues and rampant obesity, e-bikes are an amazing way to get people back into shape. I can even see disco and the rest using it for rewards.

I was thinking of an apt response, but I see Patches beat me to it.

As an aside, last Saturday I passed 3 - yes, THREE, ladies, same as this lady's pre-ebike size, on NORMAL mountain bikes. They were out and about, using the laws of physics, not electrics, to pedal their bikes along the cycle path beside the R27. They were riding direction Blouberg when I passed them at Sunset Beach. If they were riding e-bikes, kudos to them, at least they are not sitting at Ons Huisie chomping on a cheese cake, but even if they were, that's their prerogative.

I never implied that no-one should ride an e-bike. I implied that riding an e-bike on a mountain is not what I, personally,  would approve off. But that's just me. Speaking for myself. Not that lady, nor you, nor the 2 I passed on Saturday. 

But, since opinions are like assholes, and everybody's got one, I suppose we are all just showing off our own assholes then..?

b.t.w., thanks Patches for your spot-on reply.

Ok, who, or rather how many people would think that she shouldn't have eBike? Really, who??

Stop posting these fringe cases, which intentionally circumvent the argument that "most people are pro eBike, JUST NOT IN RACES" purely for the sake of arguing.

FFS do you people not get sick of LOOKING for reasons to argue with each other?

If you honestly think that most people here think that she shouldn't ride an eBike, then YOU are the a$$hole.

Our company CEO recently converted to an E-bike... he's well into his 70's now, has had a spinal fusion, hip replacement, needs to be very careful with his heart (arrhythmia/beta blockers etc), and his E-bike has greatly re-invigorated his love for riding.

This is not a lazy man, this is someone who has done little challenges like Paris Brest Paris... He's also still got more energy than most people half his age, but his body has just caught up with him over time. What the E-bike does allow... is him to go riding with his Son and Grandson on their tandem. He doesn't now have the 'joy' of his beta-blockers kicking in on the climbs and everyone having to wait minutes for him at the top of each rise. He rides more often, rides further and feels better for it... he is getting fitter believe it or not.

Also read Ali Mcleans post about her new E-bike the other day - she now goes riding with her husband regularly - he gets his serious training in, she gets her training in, more time on the bike in the beautiful outdoors, and they get great quality time together...

Horrible things these E-bikes

Has anyone actually said that or are we creating our own enemy and then fighting against it?

I have made fun of ebikes. A lot. That doesn't mean I mind them on the trails. The purist in me thinks that people who buy ebikes just to go faster are a little silly (ok a lot silly) but for beginners, part timers, older folk and people with disabilities ebikes are a winner.

Our company CEO recently converted to an E-bike... he's well into his 70's now, has had a spinal fusion, hip replacement, needs to be very careful with his heart (arrhythmia/beta blockers etc), and his E-bike has greatly re-invigorated his love for riding.

This is not a lazy man, this is someone who has done little challenges like Paris Brest Paris... He's also still got more energy than most people half his age, but his body has just caught up with him over time. What the E-bike does allow... is him to go riding with his Son and Grandson on their tandem. He doesn't now have the 'joy' of his beta-blockers kicking in on the climbs and everyone having to wait minutes for him at the top of each rise. He rides more often, rides further and feels better for it... he is getting fitter believe it or not.

Also read Ali Mcleans post about her new E-bike the other day - she now goes riding with her husband regularly - he gets his serious training in, she gets her training in, more time on the bike in the beautiful outdoors, and they get great quality time together...

As said earlier, e-bikes have their place.  However, if the 70+ year CEO wishes to race (and not ride about) against other 70+ year olds in competition (or in any competition where there is either prize money or bragging rights), then the e-bike is off the table.  Also if Tannie Ali, wishes to "claim a win" or a position in the 94.7 then the e-bike cannot be part of the equation.

everything has its place.

I will never forget back in the day when we still had the Tokai MTB race.

There was this HUGE uncle that pitched up to do the event, he finished the ride, walked in places, but did what he had to in order to finish.

Saw him again a few years later and he was a transformed man.

This was before the days of 29'ers, comfortable saddles :P , e-bikes and who know's what other "Standard". This man is my hero.

they are better suited to shopping centers, then you dont have to walk in the mall

Walking is for proletariats!

post-2412-0-06445400-1541500411_thumb.jpg