Cape Town Cycle Tour 2017 cancelled

News bot

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad thing is, now the protesters will think/argue that they achieved their goal, while the reality is that EMS vehicles and police /safety personnel need the the roads to protect the public.

I am getting fed up with protesting. Protesting has become a sort of fashion statement.

Sad part is no one has even mentioned what their toi=toi'ing about.

Those poor people - sooooo fashionable!

Saw a guy on a video walking with his 2014 Scalpel

It was flung above his head, suspended for a while, with the sheer force of the wind gods

My word ????????????????

I actually think the race was called off prematurely and for other reasons besides the weather and protests. At the start the wind was hectic but once through the tunnel it wasnt that bad. Riding up edinburgh drive and the M3 section was chilled.

Edited by Mountain_Goat

If you are angry... can I ask you a question.

What would you have done if you were the CTCT organizers, and HOW would you have done it?

Would like to know the answers to these questions as well.

Many daft comments being made on this thread. Many factors contributed to the cancellation of the event, which are not in our nor in the organizers hands.

All individuals with negative and angry comments, please get some perspective as people's lives and wellbeing is bigger than a cycling race.

Edited by Jackson123

The fire in Hout Bay (a new one, not yesterday's one) is being fanned by this wind - 35 000 cyclists will cause chaos with emergency services and fire fighters trying to access the affected area

post-615-0-46289600-1489305160_thumb.jpg

post-615-0-72777000-1489305161_thumb.jpg

Edited by splat

The fire in Hout Bay (a new one, not yesterday's one) is being fanned by this wind - 35 000 cyclists will cause chaos with emergency services and fire fighters trying to access the affected area

Agree 100%.

Exactly right. Well said Jewbacca.

Events get cancelled all the time.

The fire in Hout Bay is hectic. The winds aren't helping as it fuels the smoldering ashes into new blazes.

Thousands left homeless and nowhere to go.

It sucks, but the broken bricks across the road, the winds and the tragedy of the fire all contribute to an unsafe event for everyone. Riders, spectators and the residents.

Be the moer in, but I assure you, the organisers of the worlds largest timed ride would NOT cancel on a whim.

I think its a good call for a host of reasons. Noone can stay on a bike in a 100kmph squall ... not me, not you, not froome or sagan.

Also i wouldn't feel right riding past a community of the poorest people in the country 100's of whom have lost everything they have. Rather go buy some baby formula and drop it off at the spar.

It's just a bike ride. There's another one next week and another argus next year.

I do feel for all the visitors, particularly those from overseas.

Great post.

Having experienced 2009 I'm inclined to agree that the wind then was worse at times, but this year wasn't just about the wind: it was a perfect storm of events, well covered in posts above.

And remember that, since WC 2010, the legalities of liability have been tightened up, both on a local and a national level. Being a ride event organiser myself I can see that the hoops we have to jump through increase every year and ultimately the Joint Operational Centre, which is heavily dependent on input from law enforcement, disaster management and traffic agencies calls the tune. A few years ago, if all our marshals were not in place half an hour before the start, the race would still go ahead; now you can be sure it won't be allowed to start.

That's changed from the time when it was up to me as chief marshal (admittedly with PPA and Traffic breathing down my neck) to take the decision to call off our race when it was raining heavily on top of Ou Kaaps. The conditions were ridable for a single rider, but in my view a bunch ride could have ended in carnage. The financial loss was significant, but the risk of damage to persons, reputation, etc was too great.

One thing I will say is that the CTCC start is a disaster waiting to happen and even if logistically more difficult a safer start away from that damn wind tunnel needs to be found. Everybody in Cape Town knows that place is a menace when it blows.

Still, given my lack of preparation for this year's ride I think the biggest gust of wind was my sigh of relief when I got the news of the cancellation on my way to the start.