Cape Town Cycle Tour 2017 cancelled

News bot

even better;

some conspiracy theories; fake wind videos and unanswered questions.

(doubling down on the popcorn)

I feel for the people that travelled far and spend much money to attend this race. I think the wind excuse is BS, and that the real reason lies elsewhere. I believe the wind was worse in 2009, yet many people finished that race.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for the people that travelled far and spend much money to attend this race. I think the wind excuse is BS, and that the real reason lies elsewhere. I believe the wind was worse in 2009, yet many people finished that race.

THIS

Wind is part of cycling. HTFU

Entering the race you agree to indemnify the race organisers against a host of stuff.

And what if we get hold hostage again next year by protesters on a hot sunny day.

Blaming the wind is an easy excuse to avoid the political stuff

Im sure the Epic will cancel the prologue because its to windy on Dorsberg

Im now lekker die moer in

Where on the route was it that bad? I got to end of blue route where they physically stopped us from going further. Yes it was hectic at the start but after that it was ridable. There are going to be a lot of angry people, me included.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Was there also a massive fire close to the route in windy 2009??

Sure you are all lekker p1553d off because it is cancelled, but what do you tell all those affected by the fires that "Sorry, we couldn't bring the firetruck/ambulance to you because we closed the road so that other people could enjoy themselves riding their bikes..."?

Have some perspective...

I think its a good call for a host of reasons. Noone can stay on a bike in a 100kmph squall ... not me, not you, not froome or sagan.

Also i wouldn't feel right riding past a community of the poorest people in the country 100's of whom have lost everything they have. Rather go buy some baby formula and drop it off at the spar.

It's just a bike ride. There's another one next week and another argus next year.

I do feel for all the visitors, particularly those from overseas.

they are playing down the protest /road damage angle but that seems to be part of it also

http://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Cycling/South-Africa/cape-town-cycle-tour-cancelled-20170312

Agree

It is understated

There's lots going on in Cape Town now with the angry weather gods and many community members distressed about the fire damage yesterday

Edited by 'Dale

This is windy season in Cape Town, anybody who has ever been in CT during windy season will know what a hurricane feels like.

Why is the CTCT held this time of the year. Although never cancelled, this is not the first time the event has been spoiled because of high winds.

The protests and the fires are contributing. 2009 may have been worse but maybe the organisers learned from it and said 'we're not going through that again' - realised how dangerous the whole situation was & difficult to manage.

The protests and the fires are contributing. 2009 may have been worse but maybe the organisers learned from it and said 'we're not going through that again' - realised how dangerous the whole situation was & difficult to manage.

Then they could learn properly and just move the race onwards to May or late April.

Think about it from the organisation side: it's the 40th edition, a celebration year, they've worked hard all year, you don't organise this over a couple of beers. There is so much at stake for them: their reputation, the bad publicity, financially,...

So no, I don't believe the political argument. A lot of bad luck, factors that come together.

K@k!

Events get cancelled all the time.

The fire in Hout Bay is hectic. The winds aren't helping as it fuels the smoldering ashes into new blazes.

Thousands left homeless and nowhere to go. 

It sucks, but the broken bricks across the road, the winds and the tragedy of the fire all contribute to an unsafe event for everyone. Riders, spectators and the residents.

Be the moer in, but I assure you, the organisers of the worlds largest timed ride would NOT cancel on a whim.

Edited by Jewbacca

Events get cancelled all the time.

The fire in Hout Bay is hectic. The winds aren't helping as it fuels the smoldering ashes into new blazes.

Thousands left homeless and nowhere to go.

It sucks, but the broken bricks across the road, the winds and the tragedy of the fire all contribute to an unsafe event for everyone. Riders, spectators and the residents.

Be the moer in, but I assure you, the organisers of the worlds largest timed ride would NOT cancel on a whim.

Excellent post ????????

in winter..... thats going to end well.

Then they could learn properly and just move the race onwards to May or late April.

Thing is, now the protesters will think/argue that they achieved their goal, while the reality is that EMS vehicles and police /safety personnel need the the roads to protect the public.

I am getting fed up with protesting. Protesting has become a sort of fashion statement.

Sad part is no one has even mentioned what their toi=toi'ing about.

Edited by BeegMig