Hip bags, fanny packs... is this a thing now?

T-Bob

its not cool to wear a camelback but its ok to sport a fanny pack ............. :eek:

next it will be retro moonbags :w00t:

and you mtb guys always make fun of us roadies about fashion ..classic :clap:

Edited by bikebloke

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been riding with this for about a month now.. 

Is nice for a ride that is just too long for one bottle of water and too short for a pack.  Also, I have started wearing my chinbar a bit more often after seeing one too many incidents of other riders injuries, so with this I can carry it without it being attached to the lid for the up ride without a pack.

Also has a small section for a bomb and cable ties etc. 

290fe9c59080c7c8e5b316dc48b9c6e9.jpg

I have the Nathan brand one similar to that. I use it when its a short ride as my bike does not have a bottle holder facility. Also works well for hiking and "runs"

My bother in law bring his what he fishes as well and I must admit it's pretty good.  Unfortunately it's a neoprene pink and yellow affair straight out of the 80's that must frankly scare the life of any fish that come close! 

HAHAHA, mine is royal blue. Big enough to keep, hooks, swivels, a few sinkers and permit. My knife does not fit as its about 30cm so I wear it on my rod bucket belt to scare off any would be wanna be try'ers. But there is a gun for them.

Got me one of these, pretty comfortable for flat, easy out and back 

attachicon.gifCamel hipster.jpeg

But prefer something more substantial for DH for protection.

Truthfully I was looking at it for Tokai. I'm not there really long enough to chug through alot of liquid and need minimal spares as well. Normally bags don't bother me but now that the forest has gone you're just out in the open on all the climbs heating up. How does the drinking tube attach on this Camelback one and is it easy to use? 

I guess the main thing for me is that it doesn't wobble about when heading down and round. 

I like my bag. It has saved my back on a few times when I have fallen. I wouldnt change it for places like tokai, jonkers etc. But yes, it does cause one to overheat and on days where I have used just a bottle it was comfy. However I did ride alot more cautiously as well.

Truthfully I was looking at it for Tokai. I'm not there really long enough to chug through alot of liquid and need minimal spares as well. Normally bags don't bother me but now that the forest has gone you're just out in the open on all the climbs heating up. How does the drinking tube attach on this Camelback one and is it easy to use? 

I guess the main thing for me is that it doesn't wobble about when heading down and round. 

It wraps around your stomach, along the strap, and locates against your left side hip with a magnetic clip. Stays put till you want it. 

I have the same one[emoji106]

I use it for long rides in the forest.

Can carry banana,rain jacket and a few spares easily.

I don't like a full bag over my shoulders.

0b2f6817aa8a2331bdeb18f99b157bdd.jpg

Good stuff. And you don't have to wear Crocs either, eh?

On really rough trails and jumping, it does bounce a bit, that's another reason I wear a full backpack DH because you can really tighten them up for minimal movement with chest and waist straps..... the fanny pack only has a single strap and you will surely cut off the blood-flow to your nads if you tightened it to stop it bouncing (you see..... another reason to not use it DH...fully-functional nads are required...by me anyway!!! :w00t: )

Edited by capediver

Saw a lady on the trail over the weekend rocking the Mavic Crossride hip bag and it actually looked fine.

http://14761-presscdn-0-15.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Hip-Bag-Group-Test-Review-MTB-Mountainbike-1-von-59-1140x760.jpg

If you have a slightly baggy jersey, you can pull it over the bag and it's out of sight. Keep in mind, these bags look best as part of a trail get-up: loose jersey, baggy, trail lid, etc. A hip bag as part of a full lycra outfit would be an affront to god.

Edited by Johnathan CavalierDeTempê

its not cool to wear a camelback but its ok to sport a fanny pack ............. :eek:

next it will be retro moonbags :w00t:

and you mtb guys always make fun of us roadies about fashion ..classic :clap:

Next e Bikes will be cool.

Saw a lady on the trail over the weekend rocking the Mavic Crossride hip bag and it actually looked fine.

http://14761-presscdn-0-15.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Hip-Bag-Group-Test-Review-MTB-Mountainbike-1-von-59-1140x760.jpg

If you have a slightly baggy jersey, you can pull it over the bag and it's out of sight. Keep in mind, these bags look best as part of a trail get-up: loose jersey, baggy, trail lid, etc. A hip bag as part of a full lycra outfit would be an affront to god.

The lady or the bag?