WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

you judging the PPA's organisation by their website ............

Don't judge a book by its cover OR The clothes maketh the man.  :whistling:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I am judging them on the fact that they cannot even get a name to match and be correct and consistent in an article, yet they want to be taken seriously.

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/news/ppa-demands-swift-decisive-action-horrific-cycling-crash-gauteng/

PPA are largely WP based, with small representation in Bloemfontein, they at least made an effort. Where are the CSA main and CSA Gauteng why is there not the same sort of outrage from them. 

you judging the PPA's organisation by their website ............

Yes, actually one should.  No matter how one argue the exceptions, badly maintained websites, riddled with spelling errors etc. are normally a very good indication of the quality of the organisation.

All paid up CSA members should have received an email from CSA this week - link attached. Here’s your opportunity to have your say about anything and everything that is a concern. They have already admitted that they can’t address everything, so that should be a concern as they could sweep all concerns under the rug.

http://mailchi.mp/107da7acb730/cycling-sa-press-release-584621?e=a22bf622d8

Cycling South Africa News

Help us to serve you better

20 October 2017 – When we deal with other human beings we are always inclined to approach any dealings – whether they are personal relationships or business relationships – with certain expectations. This is simply unavoidable as we are all human.

Expectations not disclosed, understood or met are often the cause of relationships not succeeding. If we enter a relationship of any sort or nature and systematically disclose what we expect and also what we offer, the chances of that relationship becoming stronger and long lasting are immediately significantly improved.

Cycling South Africa has long served a large member base and provided many opportunities and services to its members. It acknowledges that with a lack of communication between management and clubs and their members, the ability to disclose and identify expectations becomes almost impossible.

The Board are ready to hear what Members have to say. The opportunity now exists to tell us how we can better serve our members.

There is an Athlete’s Commission in place, which has representation on the Executive Committee and provides opportunity for the concerns of the athletes to be voiced and heard.

The annual Council meeting provides a platform where the provinces and regions can attend and is the highest decision-making authority in Cycling South Africa. The next meeting takes place on 25 November 2017 (TBC).

We will be sending out a link to a survey to all registered and paid up members in the coming weeks and we encourage you to have your say. We need to remind you that we obviously remain a non-profit organisation so our ability to simply meet every need and expectation will be measured.

We commit to sharing the top 10 needs with Members once the survey has closed and whether or not and how we will plan to meet these expectations.

We currently offer the following services and benefits for members who are registered and paid up.

Europcar: Members will receive a 10% discount with their unique Cycling South Africa ID when hiring a vehicle in South Africa.

Hollard Insurance Company: Cycling SA has finalised a medical emergency evacuation or transport benefit with Hollard Insurance Company for the 2017 membership cycle. Each member will receive a death benefit of R25 000, and/or Emergency Medical Treatment at a Medical Treatment Facility and Emergency Traveling costs a benefit of up to R25 000 accident cover for any cycling related accident that occurs at a Cycling SA sanctioned cycling event. The injured cyclist MUST attend a medic on-site at the event where he/she is injured. This offer is only available to all Cycling SA members.

RoadCover/Road Accident Fund: ROADCOVER ensure that victims of motor vehicle accidents have immediate access to an effective Road Accident Fund (RAF) claims management system with NO costs to themselves. RoadCover removes the very difficult and complicated process that we face when processing a claim with the Road Accident Fund.

Guardian Assist, powered by Helivac: With rising medical services cost and the economy performing poorly over the past couple of years, most people are unable to save monthly for a rainy day or join a medical aid to assist during a medical emergency. Guardian Assist is not a medical aid; however, this is a medical policy that will be there in your time of need. The Guardian Assist provides you with complete peace-of-mind in the event of you suffering any accidental medical injury.

Detailed information pertaining to our membership benefits can be found on our website by visiting this link: https://www.cyclingsa.com/membership/

We encourage you to use these services and support our partners as the more throughput these partners experience the more benefits we trust will be made available.

We encourage you to use your club structures to communicate regularly with the cycling community. The local regional presidents and boards regularly attend meetings and can use these platforms to carry your ideas suggestions and concerns to the federation.

Our sincere hope and trust is to focus on building our Federation back to where the Members want it to be. Help us to do this by using the communication channels and elected officers in place to share your expectations and feedback so we can better serve you.

ENDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Frosty

• 1 month later...

Received this in my club’s inbox...

Not sure I want to rely to it, so will give it some thought and submit a reply by the weekend. A few members needs to give me their 2c worth too. In principle the idea to develop talent is needed but it feels like CSA are passing the buck onto the clubs, and holding them to ransom if they don’t do anything.

My club currently sponsors/develops 4 youth riders, paying for their races, and also “mentoring” them on club rides, not to mention donating to other non-cycling related charities and also organises a popular race.

I’ve decided to boycott CSA next year, and won’t be renewing my membership until such time as they start showing value in the sport. It’s not about the money, and I’d rather spend the R650 (and more) on a development rider. Sure, I’ll have to pay a day licence, or maybe not (depends on the efficiency of their system) - but that’s okay, I think only do 5-6 events per year anyway.

Next step would be for the race organising committee the do the same, which means having no licensed riders taking part in the event. There would be a saving in expenses which is more than the lost revenue, however it means a other event could steal the date... #catch22 - imagine if other event organisers did the same?

——————————————————————-

Cycling South Africa News

Making a difference on your doorstep

Cycling has and always will be such an immense part of our society. While we don’t have the flat geographic terrain that so many other European countries have which fuels the use of cycles in their countries, the distinct differences between income earners in this country often leaves many commuters with the only affordable method of transport being their trusted old bicycle.

Cycling to and from work and school in South Africa still presents many a challenge in terms of safety and dedicated cycling road networks. Educating the public regarding safety on roads specifically in relation to cyclists is a massive focus of a number of government and non-profit organisations, not least of these is Cycling South Africa.

Commuting is one of the pillars of identifying talent in this sport. Other conduits to uncovering talent include school programmes allowing students the privilege of learning to ride a bicycle for the first time in their lives. Finally, to present the opportunity for learners and youth who have begun to master the skill of riding a bicycle to now test their skill and passion by starting to race even at the most elementary level.

The prospects are endless when it comes to taking cycling to the youth and people who have never even ridden a bike or who have a bike and desperately want to learn more.

South Africa’s past has not provided equal access to all citizens and Cycling South Africa are intent on fulfilling their obligation insofar as this sport is concerned, to reach previously un-tapped areas and to introduce cycling at all levels to those who so desperately want to grow.

“We have over 20 000 19 999 members in South Africa. They span across the whole country and our challenge to each and every member is: “What are you and your club doing to grow cycling in your greater community?””

Says President William Newman: “84% of youth under 18 are black young people and we need to delve into this immense talent pool to find our champions of tomorrow. How will we ever know what talent awaits us if we don’t go looking for it?”

Not detracting from the traditional structures which allow more urbanised and privileged youth the opportunity to join a club and grow and be mentored by seasoned cyclists, Newman shows deep concern that that same opportunity is not readily available to more rural and disadvantaged potential talent.

“If every one of our functioning cycling clubs across the country just adopted one area near to them and started offering time, second hand bicycles, and skills training we would begin to make the most immense difference in peoples’ lives as well as start to identify rich talent in our amazing sport.”

Newman goes on to say that every functioning club is littered with athletes who cycle and compete at differing levels within the sport. “Who could be better poised to offer mentorship, training and skills to emerging talent than our clubs themselves?” asks Newman.

He continues: “One of the primary reasons we are so urgently driving the use of our structures is that the funding model from Government has changed significantly over recent years with funding now available at all levels in our sport. Funding bodies such as Sport and Recreation South Africa, Lotto and Sports Councils, have themselves identified the need to fund at grass roots level. It is for this reason that functioning and qualifying clubs can now apply for funding directly and use these funds for administrative costs with the focus on growing the sport to reach those who have little or nothing!”

Newman says Cycling South Africa are only represented in about 25 of 52 geographic regions in South Africa (approx. 48% coverage). This, he said was unacceptable, and a goal has been set for clubs to drive representation to a baseline target of 60% of regions by 2018/19. “The only way to achieve this goal will be if we engage clubs offering them an opportunity to help drive these targets. Those clubs that are non-partisan to our cause will be assessed and placed on notice to comply and finally their membership reviewed.”

The federation needs committed clubs and members to facilitate transformation and Cycling SA will do whatever it can to assist and support clubs who are serious about helping transform the sport.

“We inherited a legacy and it is up to us right now to build and lay the blocks of change for future generations of cyclists of all colours and ages. We have mountains to climb, but the more we engage our entire cycling community to help us bring about change, the greater our achievement will be,” said President Newman. “We will help and guide clubs wanting assistance with how to apply for funding to drive these projects.”

In closing, the question we ask: “What are you and your club doing to grow and develop cycling on your doorstep and in your immediate community of 20-40 kilometres?”

The prospects are endless when it comes to taking cycling to the youth and people who have never even ridden a bike or who have a bike and desperately want to learn more.

Regards,

Mylene Paynter

PR & COMMUNICATIONS - CYCLING SOUTH AFRICA

email: pr@cyclingsa.com

mobile: 082 333 2087

Copyright [emoji767] 2017 Cycling South Africa, All rights reserved.

You are receiving this email because you are a registered cycling club in South Africa.

Our mailing address is:

Cycling South Africa

PO Box 167

Bellville, Western Cape 7535

South Africa

Don't understand the licencing thing. Why was no licence required for 94,7?

Only for elite bunches, same as cycle tour

Why do you need their licence at all?

Edit: Posted same time as PS answered above. Seems like i'm then safe from ever needing to pay the licence anyway. Alright then.

Edited by Ferro

Why do you need their licence at all?

Edit: Posted same time as PS answered above. Seems like i'm then safe from ever needing to pay the licence anyway. Alright then.

Still don’t know why we need one, just like I don’t know why we need a TV license. Both just seem to take money and turn it into thin air.

maybe Mr Newman must spend more time leading CSA instead of representing CSA

overseas at the UCI - csa would save hundreds of thousands in travel costs.

on the subject of 'talent' out there - how many 'black south africans' attend

the World Cycling Centre in Potch?

Edited by Andy Arnesan

Say what???? Clubs pay to be CSA affiliates then pay to host events then the people who ride those events also pay CSA and then we get told we must do their job for them, or else?!? What is Neumann’s salary and what do club committee members get paid again?

Same old same old. Pfffft.

So if the clubs don't comply they cancel their CSA membership?

Can't they see that they are just digging themselves deeper into a hole by alienating those they need the most?

I can’t wait.

Only for elite bunches, same as cycle tour

I hear you, yet right now, entering the 99er, on the page after selecting the distance you get this message:

All South African cyclists participating in cycling events in South Africa are required to have a Cycling South Africa (CSA) membership and be a member of a CSA affiliate. Alternatively, you are required to buy a one day CSA event licence for each event in which you participate.

And you can only proceed once you tick the box:

I accept that I have read and understood the above

So how does this work?