Braai etiket...

The expat cyclist

We also have a habit of cooking a steak or 2 first, nice and rare, slicing and passing around with dipping salt and sauce, maybe some squeezed lemon too!

Yes. That, or some kleinwors and dippings. Do that for the kiddies every time.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a pro-tip if you get invited to a braai and the host gets sloshed before even lighting the fire:

Go inside and knob his wife while she's "preparing the potato salad". 

You'll never have to worry about being invited again. 

Is that how you get it extra creamy?

And then we can start the pre-Friday fight of braai spice. I like just salt and pepper, then some guy puts this worcestershire sauce infused with msg rubbish on my perfectly aged grass fed c-grade rump. No, No and No!! Each to their own so don't do that to mine!

And then we can start the pre-Friday fight of braai spice. I like just salt and pepper, then some guy puts this worcestershire sauce infused with msg rubbish on my perfectly aged grass fed c-grade rump. No, No and No!! Each to their own so don't do that to mine!

Ja that is entirely another topic. 

Not a fan of destroying the meat with sauces. Or at least things like rump, t-bone etc I enjoy without any funny sauces. Chicken, pork and the odd skaap tjoppie can get away with some other type of saucy thing.

We do the same. Or some sticky honey rashers. My kids love crackling.

It's Monday. I am outside doing what South Africans do best: I braai.

Now I'm sure we all have our braai rules.

I have a simple one: If I invite you for a braai, we are going to braai. Not one of those drinking brandy and gooing more hout on the fire BS till 23:00. We braai and have a few doppies inbetween but at some point before 19:00, we will eat.

I hate those braais where the meat never make it to the braai.

I don't have that problem. I am married to a boeremeise born in Calvinia. I would get serious backchat if the meat is not ready on time. And if we do not braai chops at least once every 2 weeks she walks around with a nervous twitch and a bad attitude. Then she is also a redhead to boot.

What kind of braais do you have? :P

Not the kind you would attend. If I have made the effort of lighting a fire we will eat by 19:00. And if you come to my house for a braai you only bring your dop. We call it a "skilpad" braai because the term Bring-and-Braai has been basterdised into "bring jou kombuis saam".

Not the kind you would attend. If I have made the effort of lighting a fire we will eat by 19:00. And if you come to my house for a braai you only bring your dop. We call it a "skilpad" braai because the term Bring-and-Braai has been basterdised into "bring jou kombuis saam".

'n Skilpad braai is eindlik baie dop, min vleis.

Best braai "sauce" is either Butter melted on the steak as it comes off the fire, or a Balsamic reduction.  Recently the smoked Tabasco sauce is gaining some support in the household.

Spices are for chicken and chops. 

Best braai "sauce" is either Butter melted on the steak as it comes off the fire, or a Balsamic reduction.  Recently the smoked Tabasco sauce is gaining some support in the household.

Spices are for chicken and chops. 

Must say, if I'm braaing a good, aged steak I don't want any sauce. Some salt, some cracked black pepper, that's me done...

Is that how you get it extra creamy?

Yip. It's usually called a 'sticky potato salad'.

The manne always compliment the wife once they've had their fill. Odd how many okes say they're sure they've tasted the 'secret ingredient' before, but can't recall where. 

I was watching Jan Braai's Tour de Braai from George to Swellendam on his latest series. That looks insanely cool as a must-do, except the missus nearly had a fit when I mentioned that it looks seriously cool. She made it abundantly clear the N+1 Camber and my new Isuzu has just tipped the balance, and she is feeling left out, so I must not even think about trying to enter...

Dr Phil describes 1 bunch of flowers, administered weekly, for four weeks.

If ineffective use two doses of surprise chocolate as interim measure.

I call it a plankie Braai. Or a pre-braai. Because it's always served in a plank.