Braai etiket...

MJ the Expat

important rule for a bring and braai - never take decent meat, unless you are going to braai it yourself and eat it straight from the fire. The good stuff always ends up in someone elses plate.

Yeah learnt that the hard way. Coming from an up bringing where bring and braai meant bring your own drinks and braai saam met ons.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 times a week;

Wednesday midweek braai = boerrie, smoked cheesewors or the odd pork banger all ending up in a roll

Friday night braai - anything meaty with a side or two

Saturday/Sunday braai = the big one with pap, sous en ander "bykossies"

Living on the coast everyday is good for a braai so only excuse not to braai is death or severe illness :thumbup:

3 times a week;

Wednesday midweek braai = boerrie, smoked cheesewors or the odd pork banger all ending up in a roll

Friday night braai - anything meaty with a side or two

Saturday/Sunday braai = the big one with pap, sous en ander "bykossies"

Living on the coast in RSA, everyday is good for a braai so only excuse not to braai is death or severe illness :thumbup:

Fixed.

Yeah learnt that the hard way. Coming from an up bringing where bring and braai meant bring your own drinks and braai saam met ons.

Was the topic of a recent braai - what happened, you don't invite people for dinner and then make them cook their own food?

times have changed

I also don't like eating late. I have a big braaier, so I make fire until long after we've eaten. If you want to dine and dash then it's fine. If you want to stay for coffee or a nightcap then it usually gets very lekker.

My golden rule: when you are someone's guest, don't meddle with his Braai. His house, his rules.

It is okay to take tjops to a guy who has a habit of ruining steak though.

Yes and no. I've been to plenty where the host has gotten super sozzled or had to deal with an errant lightie / poo explosion etc and had to step in for him. Then, we got invited to a braai, and then the host reckons "So, Myles - how do you light this thing?" 

Needless to say... 

Oh and the tjops thing. Yes. Agreed. Steak, I only let a couple people cook. Likewise for proper lamb chops & pork chops (thick rib chops)

Yes and no. I've been to plenty where the host has gotten super sozzled or had to deal with an errant lightie / poo explosion etc and had to step in for him. Then, we got invited to a braai, and then the host reckons "So, Myles - how do you light this thing?" 

Needless to say... 

Oh and the tjops thing. Yes. Agreed. Steak, I only let a couple people cook. Likewise for proper lamb chops & pork chops (thick rib chops)

I hope your answer was in line with

post-83023-0-60873800-1501577179_thumb.jpg

Most of the braais I go to are BnB, but I guess I must be lucky in that most of the time everyone knows what they brought, and the braaier knows who brought what and how they like it, and is the final arbiter on whose is whose. Only once everyone has taken their meat do we go in for something that looks lekker. 

Those times that everyone has brought wors and just one has brought tjops or chicken, that obviously doesn't apply. I try to cook the wors to various stages, as there are inevitably those who like it like it should be (mid rare) and those who like it dead. The le creuset cast iron pot gets recruited as a warming pot for chicken, once it's had its initial sear and cook. That sits off to the side of the fire to get hot, so that the chicken can steam in its own juices and be properly cooked without being as tough as an old doorknob. 

Webers are FANTASTIC tools for things that need a bit more time. Proper Man Ovens. Cooking turkey or a roast of any kind in there with a few soaked wood chips is unbeatable. 

Needless to say...

Fair enough. If the host gets sozzled, I probably won't go back for a Braai. I'm not a fan of drunk people.

Helping out when asked is a different story, but don't be a wise ass.

I have a mate, I used to do the braaing at his place, then I realised that he asked me out of a place of insecurity. I encouraged him to go for it himself, two Braaie later and he braais like a boss. That makes me happy.

I like the challenge of mixed grill braais. I always aim to take everything off at the same time and time it so that when it gets to the table its rested and ready to eat.

Someone mentioned a Weber. IMO a Weber and a Cobb is perfectly acceptable for a whole chicken. But that's baking, not braaiing.

We had a lekker big braai for my wife's birthday, 30 people, two Braai dromme, and everyone sorted themselves out. Being gallant, I offered to Braai for the single ladies. The one asked for "crispy tjoppies" and I promptly Braaie it dead. She came back and asked for it crispier. Flabbergasted, I chucked it on the fire, finished eating and then took it back to her, well and truly burned. She was happy with it. Sacrilege.

Webers are FANTASTIC tools for things that need a bit more time. Proper Man Ovens. Cooking turkey or a roast of any kind in there with a few soaked wood chips is unbeatable. 

I use my Weber for roasting mutton roasts and chickens on the rotisserie, or to do a smoked fillet, which is amazing. The weber gives the meat a lekker smoky flavour, so much better than the oven.

. The one asked for "crispy tjoppies" and I promptly Braaie it dead. She came back and asked for it crispier. Flabbergasted, I chucked it on the fire, finished eating and then took it back to her, well and truly burned. She was happy with it. Sacrilege.

When my wife was pregnant I had to braai the meat a bit more than usual, long few months that. I don't understand how people can kill meat like that. A good vet should be able to bring that thing back to life.