Braai etiket...

MJ the Expat

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A South African braai is made with newspaper and wood. For those who use webers or blits/charcoal I should tell you to tear up your man card right now, however I suspect that you would get paper cuts on those little fingers!

One thing I've learned over the years is that a South African braai is basically a very elaborate method to *** braaivleis op. 

Americans are a lot of times considered stupid, but when it comes to cooking meat, I have to agree with their methods. No, I'm not referring to their bbq'ing a patty. Their spareribs, beef brisket and smoked chopped/pulled pork belly/shoulder are to die for. Compare that to a lamb chop that has been turned in charcoal, I'll gladly surrender my man card. Life's too short to eat *** food.

I was watching Jan Braai's Tour de Braai from George to Swellendam on his latest series. That looks insanely cool as a must-do, except the missus nearly had a fit when I mentioned that it looks seriously cool. She made it abundantly clear the N+1 Camber and my new Isuzu has just tipped the balance, and she is feeling left out, so I must not even think about trying to enter...

One thing I've learned over the years is that a South African braai is basically a very elaborate method to *** braaivleis op. 

Americans are a lot of times considered stupid, but when it comes to cooking meat, I have to agree with their methods. No, I'm not referring to their bbq'ing a patty. Their spareribs, beef brisket and smoked chopped/pulled pork belly/shoulder are to die for. Compare that to a lamb chop that has been turned in charcoal, I'll gladly surrender my man card. Life's too short to eat *** food.

My experience is that as Saffa's we tend to think very conservative and one-dimensional when it comes to braai (at least I do...).

It's either tjop, wors, rib, fillet, rump, the odd rib-eye or snoek. Chicken as vegetable component, and then braai-broodjies.

I would be very happy to pull off some of what the American's deem as worthy of grilling on the BBQ. As long as I can do it on my braai.

Yassis! Now I'm hungry for Braai...  :cursing:

Braaied 4 rump steaks last night for the missus and I. 2 for dinner and the other 2 are for leftovers and salad tonight for after gym.

My experience is that as Saffa's we tend to think very conservative and one-dimensional when it comes to braai (at least I do...).

It's either tjop, wors, rib, fillet, rump, the odd rib-eye or snoek. Chicken as vegetable component, and then braai-broodjies.

I would be very happy to pull off some of what the American's deem as worthy of grilling on the BBQ. As long as I can do it on my braai.

Agreed. That is the problem.

Too many people still believe that all meat needs to be cooked well-done, that includes fish. I'll never take pork to anyone's braai as everyone still believes you'll get sick if it's not drier than a desert.

So yes, boerie on a weber, but it's still a good watch!

The braai is so k@k (bad braai masjien, bad braai meat and bad braai technique), but anyone can see that but agree that it is good watch; like a how not to video.

What is most distressing is that the dude goes inside to have a wee !  Isn't there a tree in this guy's garden .......

When my wife was pregnant I had to braai the meat a bit more than usual, long few months that. I don't understand how people can kill meat like that. A good vet should be able to bring that thing back to life.

I refuse point blank to do well done meat, will take it to a certain point and hand the tongs over so they can stuff it up, shame the poor animal has died once already!! 

We also have a habit of cooking a steak or 2 first, nice and rare, slicing and passing around with dipping salt and sauce, maybe some squeezed lemon too!

The braai is so k@k (bad braai masjien, bad braai meat and bad braai technique), but anyone can see that but agree that it is good watch; like a how not to video.

What is most distressing is that the dude goes inside to have a wee !  Isn't there a tree in this guy's garden .......

En druk n f'n gat in my wors dan druk ek daai vurk in jou hol.

Here's a pro-tip if you get invited to a braai and the host gets sloshed before even lighting the fire:

Go inside and knob his wife while she's "preparing the potato salad". 

You'll never have to worry about being invited again. 

mayoswell...