Braai etiket...

The expat cyclist

I am not sure if I am a proper SA oke. I rock up wherever with 2kg of ribs, insist on standing about to make sure they are done for as short a time as possible to be just so, and then make sure I am near the serving tables to ensure I can fork anyone who steals too many. A bit of tater salad and I'm happy. And the only time for lettuce is if someone says 'Lettuce say grace...'

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1kg T-bones, 2kg ribs.... jeesssus people. Are you all into downhill?

They are big boned, dude. (And I only have half, maybe, on a good day.. They tend to disappear at an alarming rate in the communal trough)

They are big boned, dude. (And I only have half, maybe, on a good day.. They tend to disappear at an alarming rate in the communal trough)

I have stopped taking Ribs to braais, for that exact same reason. My Sticky BBQ chicken kebabs also seem to always disappear before I can dish up.... that's why I don't eat at braai. People steal my food...

1kg T-bones, 2kg ribs.... jeesssus people. Are you all into downhill?

I can only afford T-Bones steaks so thin, you can braai them in the toaster.  :mellow:

haven't gone through the whole thread (yet). But Jan's rules are good enough to cover most situations. I personally would like to donder the first idiot that thought a weber was a good thing to import into the country. They are *** to braai with (and *** expensive too!), sure you want to do a roast outdoors, go for it. BUT braaing on something that has a single height setting and requires you to lift off all the meat to adjust the coals is just stupid. It's indefensible, give me a half drum any day.

I come from a time where I hit the internet just before google. So i can remember the B.O.E.R.I.E. document by heart. I just cant find it on google. if you know what I'm talking about, please help.

now back to those rules.

1. Nothing beats a real wood fire.

2. ‘Gas’ is Afrikaans for a guest at your braai, not something you braai with.

3. Braaing is the only fat-negative way of cooking food. Even when you steam food, the fat in it stays behind. When you braai, the fat drips out. Be healthy and braai.

4. Whereas steak is served medium rare and pork is served medium, lamb is served pink yet not quite medium rare or medium, a tricky ask. You need to have the thickest part of it at 63 degrees Celsius, then it’s perfect.

5. Braaing is a direct form of energy use, from the coals to your meat. With conventional electricity, there is a lot of spillage between the power plant, power lines, electricity box, wires, stove and pan. If you love the earth, braai.

6. Have enough ice at your braai. Use it for your Brandy and Coke, to make beers cold in and to treat burn wounds.

7. Smoke flies to pretty people, have a few at your braai and there will not be any smoke in your eyes.

8. Animals eat grass, leaves and vegetables and convert them to meat. Eating meat is like eating vitamin pills.

9. A cow must only be killed once. Do not braai your steak until the flavour is dead.

10. A braaibroodjie is your chance to have your bread buttered on both sides.

edit: I found it..GERALD you legend

Edited by rider#35

haven't gone through the whole thread (yet). But Jan's rules are good enough to cover most situations. I personally would like to donder the first idiot that thought a weber was a good thing to import into the country. They are *** to braai with (and *** expensive too!), sure you want to do a roast outdoors, go for it. BUT braaing on something that has a single height setting and requires you to lift off all the meat to adjust the coals is just stupid. It's indefensible, give me a half drum any day.

I come from a time where I hit the internet just before google. So i can remember the B.O.E.R.I.E. document by heart. I just cant find it on google. if you know what I'm talking about, please help.

now back to those rules.

1. Nothing beats a real wood fire.

2. ‘Gas’ is Afrikaans for a guest at your braai, not something you braai with.

3. Braaing is the only fat-negative way of cooking food. Even when you steam food, the fat in it stays behind. When you braai, the fat drips out. Be healthy and braai.

4. Whereas steak is served medium rare and pork is served medium, lamb is served pink yet not quite medium rare or medium, a tricky ask. You need to have the thickest part of it at 63 degrees Celsius, then it’s perfect.

5. Braaing is a direct form of energy use, from the coals to your meat. With conventional electricity, there is a lot of spillage between the power plant, power lines, electricity box, wires, stove and pan. If you love the earth, braai.

6. Have enough ice at your braai. Use it for your Brandy and Coke, to make beers cold in and to treat burn wounds.

7. Smoke flies to pretty people, have a few at your braai and there will not be any smoke in your eyes.

8. Animals eat grass, leaves and vegetables and convert them to meat. Eating meat is like eating vitamin pills.

9. A cow must only be killed once. Do not braai your steak until the flavour is dead.

10. A braaibroodjie is your chance to have your bread buttered on both sides.

edit: I found it..GERALD you legen

Disagree, I love Webers, can braai on them, bake breads,  do pizzas, in my carnivore days one Christmas we even did the turkey in one!

Edited by Mojoman

No, in all seriousness there are some rules I stick too when going to braais. I don't host braais as I only have a gas one and I'm a better guest than host.

I always take more more food than what the misses and I will eat on our own, it shows gratitude and non-spongyness.

I always take more dop than what is needed, and I never take home what isn't used. Leave that for the host. There are many a 3/4 bottle of craft Gins strewn across fiends houses. Replace the cold beers in the fridge.

Always make sure to sample the mielie tert, salad, sousboontjies etc that the non-braaiers made. That also took effort.

Be sure that the man with the tongs doesn't need to do anything but turn meat and sprinkle spices. Help with drinks, irrating kids the music etc.

Don't be a chauvinistic pig, help clear the tables and carrying things in and out the house.

Don't talk about religion or politics around the table.

Well those are the rules I apply to myself when I get invited.

In return, don't hassle me if I get tipsy. I'm a friendly drunk :P

Are you a vegetarian?

I am but I still braai for mates when they get too pi$$ed and everyone is hungry!