Braai etiket...

MJ the Expat

So it seems the Weber is like the eBike to the braai world!

That would make a good discussion with Jan Braai, although I don't think he rides an eBike.

Maybe one of these days I'll pull out the good 'ol Weber again and try the whole "man oven" thing, but for now I'm quite happy turning the vleis on the grill.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Night before Ezel Enduro: Carbing

Boer & Butcher boerewors & Morrocan lamb rib (nomu rub), and roasted tomato, paprika, chillies and onions - all done in the cobb - with couscous with Turkish apricots and dates. Paired with a few IPAs and some Nederburg Winemasters Grenache. I didn't care too much about presentation...

Ek is ook stout vir Boer &Butcher Boerewors.

Actually, that shop is bad for my wallet, and my waistline.

Ek is ook stout vir Boer &Butcher Boerewors.

Actually, that shop is bad for my wallet, and my waistline.

i buy all my meat there (except chicken). Consistent quality. And cheaper than the supermarkets or at least competitive. Try their bistro. HUGE portions.

i buy all my meat there (except chicken). Consistent quality. And cheaper than the supermarkets or at least competitive. Try their bistro. HUGE portions.

The problem is I go in for a packet of perske boerewors, and walk out with perske boerewors, chops, ribs and a bag of biltong.

And then I want to Braai all of it. Tonight.

We are spoilt for choice in the Boland. I also love DeliCo at Potbelly pantry, and I buy a lot of pork from the butchery at Joostenberg. Hmmmm, I should stop there for a rolled pork neck soon.

If ya'll can forgive the Weber thingies!! :whistling: :P

Salt, black pepper, dill and lemon juice/slices. Gives you a very moist and flaky salmon with the cherry wood boards quite flavorful. Couldn't get the skin crispy though.

post-25309-0-25226600-1538457818_thumb.jpg

Since the vegans are taking over the awesome thread... I felt the urge to post something here. Don't know if using my Welcome Dover to bake bread and make a potjie is allowable on the Braai thread.

Tried something different over the week-end:chicken marinated in sumac, cinamon, cumin, onion, oregano, rosemary, garlic and lime juice. Worked nicely. Also had a couple of Patensie chops (potatoes) in the coals. Braaied on citrus wood from the old man's farm.

post-33762-0-51533400-1538482984_thumb.jpg

post-33762-0-35535300-1538482997_thumb.jpg

Since the vegans are taking over the awesome thread... I felt the urge to post something here. Don't know if using my Welcome Dover to bake bread and make a potjie is allowable on the Braai thread.

Tried something different over the week-end:chicken marinated in sumac, cinamon, cumin, onion, oregano, rosemary, garlic and lime juice. Worked nicely. Also had a couple of Patensie chops (potatoes) in the coals. Braaied on citrus wood from the old man's farm.

Still have to try potatoes in the braai.

Marinated chicken on the grill sounds lekker :thumbup:

Beautiful piece of equipment, Patensie. 

Got my stamp of approval!!

Thanks meneer!

My mom got it from a friend who salvaged it before they sold their family farm in the Klipplaat district (if you take the PE - Graaff Reinet road, turn right at Wolwefontein, then take the Baroe road over Mount Stewart, you end up in Klipplaat). It stood on the stoep on my parents farm for probably 10 years and I asked pretty nicely if I could have it. We installed it this winter and it works really nicely now that I figured it out - I did have one or four misshaps where we needed to ventilate the house... turns out you need to manage the airflow fairly precisely!I

The problem is I go in for a packet of perske boerewors, and walk out with perske boerewors, chops, ribs and a bag of biltong.

And then I want to Braai all of it. Tonight.

send your physical addy and I can come over tonight to assist you with that challenge :P

Thanks meneer!

My mom got it from a friend who salvaged it before they sold their family farm in the Klipplaat district (if you take the PE - Graaff Reinet road, turn right at Wolwefontein, then take the Baroe road over Mount Stewart, you end up in Klipplaat). It stood on the stoep on my parents farm for probably 10 years and I asked pretty nicely if I could have it. We installed it this winter and it works really nicely now that I figured it out - I did have one or four misshaps where we needed to ventilate the house... turns out you need to manage the airflow fairly precisely!I

yeah, in my ideal home, I have one of those or its bigger sister. 

http://www.homewoodstoves.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/matriarch05.jpg

Still have to try potatoes in the braai.

Marinated chicken on the grill sounds lekker :thumbup:

Potatoes:

Foil - blink kant binne. Add a sprig of rosemary and a bit of oil - not really necessary, but adds another dimension. I use medium sized potatoes (smaller = faster cooking) and put it next to the fire (on the wall side of my fireplace) when I light it. Potatoes can handle quite a bit of heat. Give it a turn once or twice to make sure all sides get good heat exposure. By the time I start braaing, I sommer probe them with a fork/knife through the tin foil to test whether they're ready. :ph34r: Never needed to, but if they're not cooked by the time you finished braaiing, nuke 'em in the microwave for a couple of minutes  :ph34r: Just take the foil off beforehand :nuke:

Potatoes:

Foil - blink kant binne. Add a sprig of rosemary and a bit of oil - not really necessary, but adds another dimension. I use medium sized potatoes (smaller = faster cooking) and put it next to the fire (on the wall side of my fireplace) when I light it. Potatoes can handle quite a bit of heat. Give it a turn once or twice to make sure all sides get good heat exposure. By the time I start braaing, I sommer probe them with a fork/knife through the tin foil to test whether they're ready. :ph34r: Never needed to, but if they're not cooked by the time you finished braaiing, nuke 'em in the microwave for a couple of minutes  :ph34r: Just take the foil off beforehand :nuke:

fake news