Braai etiket...

MJ the Expat

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok let’s all call a ceasefire! A Webber is an awesome thing and does its thing really well, but it’s not a braai! I use mine for all the things my braai can’t do. Hell I even have a q-series Webber, yes gas, for doing what my Webber and braai can’t do, for the latter it is that it heats up fast and does Steak and Tjops really lekker, it’s my go to non braai braai I suppose which gets used at least 3 times a week.

Do what you do and enjoy the whole outdoor cook thing. I’m even planning a pizza oven outside for variety, yumm!

Ok let’s all call a ceasefire! A Webber is an awesome thing and does its thing really well, but it’s not a braai! I use mine for all the things my braai can’t do. Hell I even have a q-series Webber, yes gas, for doing what my Webber and braai can’t do, for the latter it is that it heats up fast and does Steak and Tjops really lekker, it’s my go to non braai braai I suppose which gets used at least 3 times a week.

Do what you do and enjoy the whole outdoor cook thing. I’m even planning a pizza oven outside for variety, yumm!

I like your approach - Prepared for anything  :thumbup:

I braai'ed the ribbetjies above... nothing else, just braai'ed it.

So it must be a braai... 

But whatever. I agree with you. Really not worth effort to argue about it. Let's just braai. Each to his own.

Edited by Warthog

Exactly, a Weber is not a braai, but can be used as a braai. I had one, it was okay, then started using the braai my friends husband made for me, and been braaing on that braai ever since.

On a different note, I want to learn how to make a Potjie. Think I'll visit Builders some time this coming week and get a Potjie pot.

Exactly, a Weber is not a braai, but can be used as a braai. I had one, it was okay, then started using the braai my friends husband made for me, and been braaing on that braai ever since.

On a different note, I want to learn how to make a Potjie. Think I'll visit Builders some time this coming week and get a Potjie pot.

I refer to my weber as my "man oven". Once you get the hang of the different cooking techniques and how to use the vents properly, it becomes exceptionally useful. 

As for potjie - it's actually a simple thing. Min kole, but always going. Brown the onions and meat first, add liquid, let simmer for x hours and then add veggies from the longest cooking (rooot veg) to the shortest cook time being on the top. Never stir the pot, apart from when you're browning the meat initially and when it's ready (to ensure even distribution of meat and veg, cos people generally suck at serving themselves out the potjie when it's still layered)

Also never do it riiiight to the top, otherwise when people serve it'll go everywhere. 

Top up liquid with your chosen poison every hour or so. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

I braai'ed the ribbetjies above... nothing else, just braai'ed it.

So it must be a braai...

But whatever. I agree with you. Really not worth effort to argue about it. Let's just braai. Each to his own.

I've braaid using a shopping trolley. Long story, but wouldn't call it a braai

According to Jan braai, a Weber is an outdoor oven. Nuff said.

You can use one to braai, but it's not the best tool for that job. And way more expensive than something that does it better.

:D I'm terribly lazy when it comes to braaing, so I use nothing but a Weber. Make the charcoal, put the meat on, close the lid, set the timer. Food ready! No sweating and swearing with smoke burning your eyes.

they let you back in the Karoo with that slapgat attitude?! ;-)

So I got half a freshly shot springbok the other day... It had been cut up into large bits and so I had to trim and cut it up further... Most went to biltong and then I deboned the hind quarter (of which the leg got stuffed with bacon and garlic butter and pot roasted in the potjie pot a couple of weeks ago... hmmm) but while cutting it up I decided (and I know absolutely nothing about butchering etc) I'd found the fillet... So I put that to one side and ended up braaiing that last night... 

On my word, it was amazing! Just black pepper for seasoning, seared over hot coals and then moved off the heat and put the lid (of the Weber :ph34r:) on while the wors and chops cooked... Cut like butter, tender and moist, full of flavor... :drool:

Can't wait for lunch 'cos I've got leftovers... :w00t:  

Pizza Oven ... now that is high on my list of must have's!

Potjie, I never grew up in a household where potjies were made, but the wife's father did lot's of potjies for them.

My first potjie or two was a slightly stressful affair as I had zero clue of what I was doing, yet it came out well. Then you realise it is easy peasy. Just take your time and control your heat, that is all there really is to it.

Have not made one for a little while now, so best I pull out that potjie again ..... oh, I reckon I make a far better potjie than her old man now :P

Pizza Oven ... now that is high on my list of must have's!

Potjie, I never grew up in a household where potjies were made, but the wife's father did lot's of potjies for them.

My first potjie or two was a slightly stressful affair as I had zero clue of what I was doing, yet it came out well. Then you realise it is easy peasy. Just take your time and control your heat, that is all there really is to it.

Have not made one for a little while now, so best I pull out that potjie again ..... oh, I reckon I make a far better potjie than her old man now :P

yyou can get a pizza stone / plate that you put in the weber. Far less cost, same results.