Braai etiket...

MJ the Expat

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At Builders, and giving this Potjie pot a new home.

ba6f7f9916d8e784f02c698c90bd2e63.jpg

Boil potato peels in there for 3 to 4 hours....actually an hour will do now that I think about it,clean then cut up some spek and sizzle as long as you can coating the whole inside

Clean and wipe with vegetable oil inside including lid

Dry with paper towel and stuff with newspaper for storage

Its ready to rock and roll when needed

Edited by Kranswurm

Got this handy little book from my sister in law as a Christmas prezzie when the Mrs and I were in Cape Town in December 2016. Only remembered I had it the other night when I was thinking about a Potjie. Our daughter got hold of it last night, hence the reason why the front cover is slightly disfigured.

Some drool worthy recipes in this book. It even gives a history lesson about Potjiekos and the three legged pot, and explains the do's and don'ts of Potjies.

If I don't come right after reading this, then I'll ask on this here Bikehub.

2e5d1929c949f7f2ff26f224352fc64d.jpg

clean it properly, maybe cook some rice in their to throw away to get any gunk off the inside of the pot.

Nah. Just put water 2/3 of the pot and get it really hot to the boil. Chuck the water out and smeer the pot with some vegetable oil (sunflower or canola, something cheap). Put it back in the fire and let the oil heat up until it smokes. Wipe it with a paper towel and then smeer it again with the oil. Primed pot ready for action. Edited by l4y3rcake

Nah. Just put water 2/3 of the pot and get it really hot to the boil. Chuck the water out and smeer the pot with some vegetable oil (sunflower or canola, something cheap). Put it back in the fire and let the oil heat up until it smokes. Wipe it with a paper towel and then smeer it again with the oil. Primed pot ready for action.

Also once cleaned after your cooking, cover the inside with some vegetable oil. I cook with cast iron a lot and there is no better taste than a primed cast iron pot. Never use cemicals. Always vegetable oils. The more you cook in it the better it gets.

• 2 weeks later...

Well not according to that tosser, Barry Hilton. Saw a flee market stall selling his “one gaan nou braai” crap. **** you not, it’s now a thing.

I swear if somebody tells me that “joke” or shows me that video at their braai one more time, I will knock their brandy over.

Like I feel about the overhyped, overrated Trevor Noah...