Mtb in muddy conditions yes or no

Cyclingzak

Having a short race within a few hours but not to sure if its worth racing in the muddy sludge. What impact can all this mud and water have on my mtb gears, bearings, brakes, fork etc.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a short race within a few hours but not to sure if its worth racing in the muddy sludge. What impact can all this mud and water have on my mtb gears, bearings, brakes, fork etc.

It could potentially get in everywhere, becoming grinding paste. Should'nt be a problem if you just give your bike a good cleaning afterwards though.

Looks like a lot of fun!

One stage on a rainy, muddy Sani; new BB, new chain, new headset bearings, new suspension bearings.

May I add, also a brand new pair of brake pads worn to the backing plate.

Saw bikes come in after the Sani and the resulting mud with even worse than mine. A Tallboy owner wore through the backing plate and wrote of the piston on XTR. Needless to say he had to buy a new caliper.

Edited by Traveler

Bike killer, except for the wear and tear on parts, I one did a training ride in mud. It clocked up the tires so much, it actually sanded of the paint from the frame and fork.

No.... Ridden three times in mud, and each time it has cost around R2k in repair bills afterwards. Also had the issue mentioned above where paint was stripped from the inside of the chainstay.

Tom 

A no from me as well. You get the multi billion Rockefellow family that can afford new parts and repairs, I belong to the other fellow family that cant. 

Fun yes, but I'm not a pro and have to replace everything myself so I don't do it. The times I have done it have been very expensive rides.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

My first 'event' as a new MTB owner and rider...Northern quickie. There were hardly any non muddy sections. Bike survived. I didn't. It was extremely difficult to ride and 30km felt like 30, billion, hundred and seventy, fifty and two thousand km.