[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

John, thank you for your efforts on the scene but I'm horrified to report that Jeremy (the marshal) has died. I would be grateful if you could PM me so we can get in touch - I'd like to hear more about those events. Thank you. Mark

Sorry, I see you already have sent me a PM...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John, thank you for your efforts on the scene but I'm horrified to report that Jeremy (the marshal) has died. I would be grateful if you could PM me so we can get in touch - I'd like to hear more about those events. Thank you. Mark

ag no, this with the others are really putting a damper on an otherwise well organised race. My condolences and really hope the lessons learnt from this will protect our marshalls in future.

This news is very sad. Rip Jeremy and the other cyclist(s).

OMG that's so sad! RIP Jeremy

I can't believe 3 people lost their lives at the cycle tour today

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edited by Warren_G

RIP fellow cyclist.

Was not nice seeing someone resuscitated. Was fokkin aaklig.

We approached the scene and waved people down behind us. Some people came flying in at 50km/h+. Some DWIS even kakked out the medic for being in the way! YOU SIR should be banned. If you are so super good, why only start after the pros finish?

RANT OFF*

Lekker day! lekker weather! Lekker Gees!

Well done everyone!

Thanks to Michael an Jonh for pulling me home the last 4km!

See you all next year!

From all of us who had such a wonderful day, I would like to add our truly sincere condolences to the families of the riders as well as the marshal. We will keep you in our thoughts because it really could have been any one of our beloved family team who were out there today.  :(

RIP fellow cyclist.

Was not nice seeing someone resuscitated. Was fokkin aaklig.

We approached the scene and waved people down behind us. Some people came flying in at 50km/h+. Some DWIS even kakked out the medic for being in the way! YOU SIR should be banned. If you are so super good, why only start after the pros finish?

RANT OFF*

Lekker day! lekker weather! Lekker Gees!

Well done everyone!

Thanks to Michael an Jonh for pulling me home the last 4km!

See you all next year!

Too be honest, the are were a lot of boxes on the road today, especially coming from the international bunches, okes screaming and shouting at people for not moving over for them to pass, 4 people who were riding in black and yellow kit with an English accent were complete Bell ends to some poor lady on her first tour. Luckily they got told off properly by some old ooms that were riding next to her. Edited by Jase619

Too be honest, the are were a lot of boxes on the road today, especially coming from the international bunches, okes screaming and shouting at people for not moving over for them to pass, 4 people who were riding in black and yellow kit with an English accent were complete Bell ends to some poor lady on her first tour. Luckily they got told off properly by some old ooms that were riding next to her.

They were all over the show. Saw an Oom grab a lightie by the chest at Ocean View and say "Ouboet, dink jy die ou het aspris geval om jou dag op te Fkok?" P Edited by Boerklong

Had an awesome ride with my dad today. He suffered and cramped just before suikerbossie, but I got him over the line in 6h36m.

RIP to the 2 cyclists and the marshal. So sad.

My heart sank when we rode past the guy before smitswinkel and I saw them doing CPR.

A few complaints though.

The start needs some work, I’m sure they will probably do some revisions to it before next year. We started around a corner and then getting onto the highway we were at a standstill.

People not holding lines. Oh my word there were some real chops out there today. More than normal.

And then Mike, wearing a stay wider of the rider jersey. First when we were stopped on chappies, we were sitting on the wall, could not get any further left, yet he kaks is out for being in the road.

Then in the other side of suikerbossie, an entire 4 lanes to use, but comes up behind us, with us on the left lane and tells us to move left.

I wanted to have a word with him then decided to not spoil my time with me dad and just left him.

Otherwise awesome weather, awesome organization oh and awesome meeting Louis de Waal (cycle tour founder) and his son at the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mini Savage did a 3h16, although he says he had the potential for a 3h05 from 1G. But he says that he lost his group at 65km and that for some reason he felt a lot more tired that he should have. I know that he and a few other selected youngsters did a brisk MTB ride on Friday after their UCI do. They rode from Coetzenburg to Mont Marie and back, so maybe that was still in his legs.

I did a 4h12, although my aim was a sub 4h00. I did the same ride on Friday afternoon. Also, that Westerly from Misty Cliffs tired me out a bit. So maybe next year the sub 4 is on. I rode from 3D. My wife did a 4h56 from 5B, and this was her first Cycle Tour.

I am really saddened to hear about the loss of life on such a brilliant day. My thoughts are with their family and friends.

Edited by Moridin

People were getting very excited going through Camps Bay, a guy crashed into the back of me and took me down. Got his handlebars stuck in my rear wheel.

Luckily I got it up and running and managed a 3:20 on my first Argus. Loved every second of it.

Edited by Andreas_187

Mini Savage did a 3h16, although he says he had the potential for a 3h05 from 1G. But he says that he lost his group at 65km and that for some reason he felt a lot more tired that he should have. I know that he and a few other selected youngsters did a brisk MTB ride on Friday after their UCI do. They rode from Coetzenburg to Mont Marie and back, so maybe that was still in his legs.

I did a 4h12, although my aim was a sub 4h00. I did the same ride on Friday afternoon. Also, that Westerly from Misty Cliffs tired me out a bit. So maybe next year the sub 4 is on. I rode from 3D. My wife did a 4h56 from 5B, and this was her first Cycle Tour.

I am really saddened to hear about the loss of life on such a brilliant day. My thoughts are with their family and friends.

I was aiming for a sub 4:30. Somewhere it dawned on me that a sub 4:00 was possible on a cracked mtb with new Vittorias. Only went for it on Chappies. Too little to late. 4:04 on the time sheet, but happy. A relief stop and 2 water bottle fills.... Should've gone for it on Smitswinkel.