[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

Guys, I know this gets mentioned every year but do you find the R510 entry fee fair?

I don't and I won't be entering this year as I just can't afford it.

ts a bargain for what you get compared to other events

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only race in the Western Cape with full road closures on a stunning iconic route that for the foreseeable future are not hosting any other road races at all.

If you are not willing to pay a premium for that kind of opportunity then the sport of road cycling is probably not for you.

I would pay double that before I even think of questioning the price.

Compared to what we pay for spares and parts for our bikes, the cost of an entry shouldn't be a problem really.

Travel and accommodation is another thing entirely, but that doesn't matter to the organisers, they just looking to cover costs and presumably make a bit of profit.

An interesting calculation would be the cost of the entry as a percentage of the total expenditure of the week that you are there. . . 

Guys, I know this gets mentioned every year but do you find the R510 entry fee fair?

Seems the most agree with that it is fair

The only race in the Western Cape with full road closures on a stunning iconic route that for the foreseeable future are not hosting any other road races at all.

If you are not willing to pay a premium for that kind of opportunity then the sport of road cycling is probably not for you.

I would pay double that before I even think of questioning the price.

It's all I do.

I don't ride the amashova, 947 is also getting steep but I have no travelling costs with that.

I completely agree with you wrt to the route, but I just think it is getting waay to risky to drop that for a non refundable entry and then whatever your travel expenses are for a race thats essentially been a flop 2 years in row.

As a local, the entry fee is the only significant cost attached to the event. I would easily be willing to pay more than double for the opportunity to ride CTCT. If i had to, i would cut spending on other events to ride this one.

It's all I do.

I don't ride the amashova, 947 is also getting steep but I have no travelling costs with that.

I completely agree with you wrt to the route, but I just think it is getting waay to risky to drop that for a non refundable entry and then whatever your travel expenses are for a race thats essentially been a flop 2 years in row.

2016 was fine, I presume you referring to 2015. All things considered, having 1 complete stoppage and 1 shortened route in 40 years in a place that is notorious for weather issues is not bad.

Although again, I think the problems is with the total cost of travel and accommodation rather than the single entry fee expense. It's just an easy target. The real barrier to entry for people outside of the WC is the travel and accommodation, not the entry fee

We drive down, and our accommodation is very very cheap (tent in a caravan park).

Even so, the entry fee is only a relatively small part of our weekend spend.

I do think I should make a list of expenses this year though - would be quite interesting, as Jase mentioned.

Compared to what we pay for spares and parts for our bikes, the cost of an entry shouldn't be a problem really.

Travel and accommodation is another thing entirely, but that doesn't matter to the organisers, they just looking to cover costs and presumably make a bit of profit.

An interesting calculation would be the cost of the entry as a percentage of the total expenditure of the week that you are there. . . 

I live with family friends in Paarl. I will already be there for the ToGH(which personally was way more enjoyable than any CTCT I've done to date)

Petrol + toll = R3000

Food = R1000

So if I ignore the ToGH entry and take it as if was just the CTCT the entry fee is around 12%

Dear diary. I've been thinking we need to get a hashtag. We need to instabook the crap out of this baby. We've got our tried and tested thing down to a T, but should maybe do a little tweak and then sell it as a super duper new improved offering. We could just move the finish and say "NEW ROUTE" and throw in some blurb like "BY RIDERS FOR RIDERS". Then i realised we have tweaked the finish a few times, so maybe the start? Let's move it somewhere nearby. As I was leaving Mavs that evening I forgot where I had parked so wandered a round a bit. I got to the Grand Parade and looked at the statue of King Edward, what would ol' Eddie do? The Grand Parade would be awesome as a start venue, uh mean we would need to pay off a few hawkers and the army okes at the Castle wouldn't be that impressed but we could generate a huge hashtag campaign on this one. We could even chat to the okes at Burger King and pitch it their way.  Maybe #GPCTCTFTW  

2016 was fine, I presume you referring to 2015. All things considered, having 1 complete stoppage and 1 shortened route in 40 years in a place that is notorious for weather issues is not bad.

Although again, I think the problems is with the total cost of travel and accommodation rather than the single entry fee expense. It's just an easy target. The real barrier to entry for people outside of the WC is the travel and accommodation, not the entry fee

Yes, got the dates mixed up.

We drive down, and our accommodation is very very cheap (tent in a caravan park).

Even so, the entry fee is only a relatively small part of our weekend spend.

I do think I should make a list of expenses this year though - would be quite interesting, as Jase mentioned.

Would be too scared to do that :eek:

Food, drinks, random touristy things, it all adds up to way too much. 

Do it, but when you have done shaking your head, set it alight and enter again for 2019!!

Anyway thanks for the opinions.

Unfortunately all races are becoming more expensive, and my yearly race budget is only so big(sponsor dad is no longer contributing), so while I think anything over R400 is ridiculous for a race there are some I just need to cut. CTCT 2018 being one of them.

Maybe 2019

Dear diary. I've been thinking we need to get a hashtag. We need to instabook the crap out of this baby. We've got our tried and tested thing down to a T, but should maybe do a little tweak and then sell it as a super duper new improved offering. We could just move the finish and say "NEW ROUTE" and throw in some blurb like "BY RIDERS FOR RIDERS". Then i realised we have tweaked the finish a few times, so maybe the start? Let's move it somewhere nearby. As I was leaving Mavs that evening I forgot where I had parked so wandered a round a bit. I got to the Grand Parade and looked at the statue of King Edward, what would ol' Eddie do? The Grand Parade would be awesome as a start venue, uh mean we would need to pay off a few hawkers and the army okes at the Castle wouldn't be that impressed but we could generate a huge hashtag campaign on this one. We could even chat to the okes at Burger King and pitch it their way.  Maybe #GPCTCTFTW  

I see what you did there... :whistling:  :D

35 000 plus a whole lot of dudes that did not get an entry think so!