Chris Froome returns adverse analytical finding for Salbutamol

Andrew Steer

, they're also not necessarily tested inside the window when they would test positive.

I'm learning more about salbutamol than I should (I'm trying to avoid studying for my danish exam tomorrow...).

"The plasma concentrations of inhaled Salbutamol are, however, lower than those produced by usual oral doses. Salbutamol and its metabolites are rapidly excreted in the urine and faeces with about 80% of the dose being recovered in urine within 24 hours. The elimination half-life of Salbutamol is 2.7 - 5.5 hours after oral and inhaled administration."

So if he was tested every day (as leader he was apparently) then they would have picked it up every test.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Michelle gone loco on Twitter yet?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That will be the most interesting part of this whole episode!

I'm learning more about salbutamol than I should (I'm trying to avoid studying for my danish exam tomorrow...).

"The plasma concentrations of inhaled Salbutamol are, however, lower than those produced by usual oral doses. Salbutamol and its metabolites are rapidly excreted in the urine and faeces with about 80% of the dose being recovered in urine within 24 hours. The elimination half-life of Salbutamol is 2.7 - 5.5 hours after oral and inhaled administration."

So if he was tested every day (as leader he was apparently) then they would have picked it up every test.

He only needed the extra bit for that day..[emoji102]

He only needed the extra bit for that day..[emoji102]

And they only recover about 80% so he was actually closer to 2400ng/ml!

media et al is focusing on wrong thing here. salbutomol is a masking agent. they should be asking what is he masking, not why is he taking asthma meds

We know that answer..it's to mask them marginal gains..duh..[emoji6]

Edited by Gen

I'm sure this is just a plot to get the wholesale cockup aka "Brexit" out of the headlines . . . . . .

:-)

Naaah. It's to make the week more interesting, otherwise everyone waiting for Friday.

As someone who uses salbutamol for acute asthma, it really only does anything if I'm suffering a constriction. I'm wondering about the masking effect though...

I love this sport because of the feeling you get from riding your bike and I love watching the pros in Europe race because of the unbelievable ways in which they are able to suffer.

I am under no illusion that the sport is 'clean', there is no way anyone can ride like the way they do, Sagan, Froome, Nibali, etc, etc without using performance enhancing substances, whether that be a gel a drink or something which is banned - not sure where that cut off is made.

I just think it should be allowed under controlled circumstances and we can all get over the 'cheating' perception and just enjoy the spectacle.

Cant wait for Classics Season and I don't care who is taking what, I just enjoy seeing them ride at unbelievable speeds and pushing each other harder each year.

Like Game of Thrones on bikes, everyone knows its bull but everyone enjoys watching it and relaying stories about it.

I love this sport because of the feeling you get from riding your bike and I love watching the pros in Europe race because of the unbelievable ways in which they are able to suffer.

I am under no illusion that the sport is 'clean', there is no way anyone can ride like the way they do, Sagan, Froome, Nibali, etc, etc without using performance enhancing substances, whether that be a gel a drink or something which is banned - not sure where that cut off is made.

I just think it should be allowed under controlled circumstances and we can all get over the 'cheating' perception and just enjoy the spectacle.

Cant wait for Classics Season and I don't care who is taking what, I just enjoy seeing them ride at unbelievable speeds and pushing each other harder each year.

Like Game of Thrones on bikes, everyone knows its bull but everyone enjoys watching it and relaying stories about it.

Runway while you can.... 

As someone who uses salbutamol for acute asthma, it really only does anything if I'm suffering a constriction. I'm wondering about the masking effect though...

sure - but then one would reasonably assume that with ACUTE ASTHMA you shouldnt be winning grand tours, right?

So I should be studying but fark it :-)

How much salbutamol did he actually have in his system?

****I don't like maths do please point out errors if you see them****

Chris' level was 2,000ng/ml - given that the average human has 5 litres of blood that is 10,000,000ng of Salbutamol in total.

Let's use mg cos that's more common in medicine: 10,000,000ng is 10,000mcg.

The normal ORAL dose for salbutamol is 8,000mcg up to a max of 24,000mcg per day.

So Chris had a fairly normal to low amount of salbutamol in his system in terms of ORAL use.

That said - max normal use for INHALERS is 1,200mcg per day. Recommended prevention is 400mcg 15 mins before you start exercise.

So compared to normal INHALER Chris is waaaay over normal use.

My final opinion (cos I really should learn some Danish now) is this: Chris abused a legal loophole for SKY's famous "marginal gains".

It'll be interesting to see how the UCI view it. Ulissi tried (and failed) to replicate his high Salbutamol levels at a UCI lab and got sanctioned - let's see if Chris and the SKY medicine men can get Chris to replicate a 2,000ng/ml level in a lab (or hand the UCI several reams of medical reports showing how it is theoretically possible).

Edit: Changed mg to mcg - thanks to rider#35 for pointing that out.

Edited by Eldron