The Over 50's Support Thread.

Bonus

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you do after 50, never stop being active for an extended period of time! I am having a very hard time getting back to just a resemblance of the fitness and health I had almost 3 years ago. Due to some bad things happening to me, cycling accident, crippling drought on the farm, near bankruptcy, depression etc, I lost my zest for life. Started abusing alcohol, picking up 20 kg of weight and leading a very unhealthy life in general. After several failed attempts during 2017 I finally managed to break all bad habits, regained my previous positive attitude to life and repaired my relationships with my loving wife and children. Since 1 Jan managed to lose about 8kg of weight, returned to a healthy attitude towards alcohol consumption, and also started doing regular, low heart rate, mountain bike rides on the farm.

I really think it is much harder after 50 to pick up on lost fitness and health than say in you thirties or forties. So my message to my fellow club 50 plussers: Never stop moving all together!

Edited by Sniffie

Lekker topic this...

I only started riding again after 50... some 5 years later and although I'm still duk (sounds better than fat...) I'm far more healthy etc...

Remember, if you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to anymore... gooi kole...

I think you just learn to enjoy being out there more and you know the PB's are behind you.

I recover much slower and have lost a lot of the power on climbs. That and an extra 25kgs i found from my lean mean race snake days (which were never) .

Got my "young" ass whipped by a 50something this weekend in the VB group.  I missed the break.  He did not.

Age is but a number....

:thumbup:

Lekker topic this...

I only started riding again after 50... some 5 years later and although I'm still duk (sounds better than fat...) I'm far more healthy etc...

Remember, if you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to anymore... gooi kole...

1000%

The lighties still have to learn what we have forgotten ages ago and this is because our brains are bust trying new stuff!

We still retain or respect and some old school charm.

...........I really think it is much harder after 50 to pick up on lost fitness and health than say in you thirties or forties. ...........

Very true that.

A couple of years ago I found that I became prone to over training. We did a few "big" races all in one year. Sani, W2W, DC etc, and I started getting colds and flues more often and more severely than ever before. Basically, I think it happened simply because the body needed more recovery time in between the hard training and I was still expecting it to bounce back like it did a decade ago.

So, to cut a long story short, I changed my ratio of hard and easy weeks. I went from a 3 hard / 1 easy week regime to a 2 hard / 1 easy week. It worked like a bomb. Despite putting in less hard training, the increased recovery time made it possible to maintain the high intensity hard effort needed. I felt like a million dollars and stronger than ever before.

Since then, I still ride regularly, but I have cut back on the "big" races. It is simply no longer smart to try and peak multiple times a year and still have a life as well. I maintain my fitness at a level where I can basically get on the bike any day of the year and go ride the Argus route and finish it, mind you, not race it. If I plan to do a "big" race, then I specifically up the training to peak for it, and then let it slide back to my "Argus level". That buildup also takes longer than it used to. Where previously I needed 3 months, now I need 4 months, OK, let me be honest, some things may need more than that. 

Something else that takes more time, is getting rid of the "festive season" weight. No longer can you quickly drop that proverbial 5 kilos and be race ready in a few weeks. Now it takes some effort and sacrifice. Eina. 

My biggest gripe used to be the bloody small numbers of the distance display on the bike computer. Speed all big and easy to read, but the distance I simply couldn't see anymore.......enter bifocals..........****, now I'm starting to sound like an old oom! Let me stop before I complain of aching knees and joints and....and....

I like this thread, thanks Bonus. I was never a racing snake but can relate to a lot being said here. It takes a lot longer to achieve ones goal , whatever that might be , loosing weight, getting fit again, healing after an operation etc etc...... i have made peace that i am not busy with a race anymore and take it day by day. I also cannot expect my body to be in tip top shape like the day when i put it on the shelve..... so i enjoy the ride it is sometimes hard to be not that competitive any more !!  

My biggest gripe used to be the bloody small numbers of the distance display on the bike computer. Speed all big and easy to read, but the distance I simply couldn't see anymore.......enter bifocals..........****, now I'm starting to sound like an old oom! Let me stop before I complain of aching knees and joints and....and....

Still my biggest gripe with 50+... jeez, the frustration...

I must own about 20 pairs of glasses... one for the computer currently on my face, reading glasses in bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, each car, the garage/workshop... and all over, another "further-looking"-pair next to bed for watching tv, and the multifocals I wear everywhere else...

And I am forever looking for the damn things... I'm also sounding like the old oom...

I am a 1966 model myself. I do a fair bit of cycling, but I am struggling to get rid of my 'rykmansboepie' as my wife calls it.

I tried running, but my knees are killing me when I do more than 5kms a week.

Starting cycling in 2011, and generally my times have improved, but I find that I need to put in more and more hours per week to stay where I am at.

Every time I climb on the scale, I am a bit heavier, and I don't know why, because I eat less and less. My weight now is 86kgs. I have been at 83kgs for the previous few years.

Edited by Moridin

Still my biggest gripe with 50+... jeez, the frustration...

I must own about 20 pairs of glasses... one for the computer currently on my face, reading glasses in bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, each car, the garage/workshop... and all over, another "further-looking"-pair next to bed for watching tv, and the multifocals I wear everywhere else...

And I am forever looking for the damn things... I'm also sounding like the old oom...

Haha....in addition to the "further-looking" & computer work pair, closer reading glasses have been added to the mix for me. Apparently my farsightedness has however improved!

I am a 1966 model myself. I do a fair bit of cycling, but I am struggling to get rid of my 'rykmansboepie' as my wife calls it.

I tried running, but my knees are killing me when I do more than 5kms a week.

Starting cycling in 2011, and generally my times have improved, but I find that I need to put in more and more hours per week to stay where I am at.

Every time I climb on the scale, I am a bit heavier, and I don't know why, because I eat less and less. My weight now is 86kgs. I have been at 83kgs for the previous few years.

Sounds like age is winning? 

These sort of observations sort of start once you reach 60? In my case, certainly. How old did you say you are?

Just saying.................!! :whistling:

Jeez but there are a lot of old toppies out there on bikes.

MAMILs now become OMILs.

I am filling out my Lycra way better than what i used to. My biggest issue is recovery and being able to drop weight - i picked it up really quickly.

Ha, Ha, ya'all spring-chickens, you need to start a 60's thread bonus. Or maybe it will be only me.?  :w00t:

I have been active all my life, running, cycling, hiking, gym, diving, golfing (yes its an activity) and I have always enjoyed endurance sports, sure it takes a bit longer to recover after a long run, sure, if I fall off my bike I will likely break something, sure, I cant read my bike computer anymore so I took it off, sure, I am a lot more picky about the weather before I leave the house, but on the plus side, been active I have stayed fit and reasonably healthy, I have met many great folk on the road and golf course, friendships that have endured decades, but also just a smile of someone who greets you today,..... getting older I look for different things now and I dont sweat the small stuff anymore. 

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy