Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

What portion of the clubfees will be spent on sorting out "fly-alley"?  :whistling:  :ph34r:  :devil: 

Must have swallowed at least a dozen flies during the climb out of Welvergenoegd. They were swarming around a persons head, it looked like a cloud.  But even the flies does not detract from the amazing trails we get to ride for our almost R900.00

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was away for a couple of days and wow - boom! (we as people are to sensitive these days)

My comments are probably a bit late, but here it goes in any event.

I did the Sanlam Invitational over the weekend where we had an opportunity to brag with our trails to the wider MTBiking community.  After each day we sat around with a beer and chatted to the out of townees, and the comments were all pretty much the same.

They could not get over the single-track heaven created in these hills, and could not believe when they were told that we have only done part of the trails, you get this like "get out of here" look when you say that.  When we discussed the club-fees  (yes 2019 fees) they could again not believe the value for money here. (you talk most awesome single-tracks which are maintained and expanded, coffee shops, safe parking and bike shops - it is like landing in MTBike heaven)

Fact is, if you a keen MTB rider this is truly a privilege, at least for me, my mates and all the visitors I have been talking to over the week-end.  Made me really proud to be a club member, and be able to brag with what is truly a success story (think of where this all started way back).

At the end of the day, joining is your choice, there is no pressure on you.  If you do not see the value, do not join, ride somewhere else (but nowhere, you can really ride for free, and do not rogue ride, that is not cool).

Can things be done better, off course, always, that is called evolution and moving forward, and there are ways to do just that.  The day you stop changing, growing and making adjustments is the day you start to die.

There are however ways to do this, the mature way with the right attitude which will drive understanding, common sense and mutual respect and support.  This is called Emotional Intelligence.  The other way, will get you know where and negatively impact on your MTBiking experience, and why should one want to go there...

#lekkermanlekker

That can't be you ... that rider in the pic has calves!

Gotta hit those trails while the sun is still soft at sunrise before the serpents come out to tan and the flies are still hung over...

I am not a member and have not ridden all the trails available, but those I have are quite special. I know Hoogekraal well and have ridden the Welvergenoegd loop.

While I enjoy the trails, they aren't my favourite simply because I prefer stuff that has more line choices and is more natural. For that i have the Tokai and the Green Belts which are also far cooler places to ride in Summer and on my doorstep.  The terrain in the area lends itself to bermed singe track, unlike other rockier areas. TBMBC is an amazing facility close to the City and the recent add ons like the skill park are a bonus. I have been told I need to try Bloemendal and do the XC loop and jumps. That's on the cards one evening soon. 

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/f6/f6526353a6f117f94b4295a5b499b48b9c8b02010ae2558d7092f0432b1a4440.jpg

That post cut me deep, Hairy... 

when December holidays come along we need to hook up for a LTHT ride ek'se.....also need to the XCO loop, have not been to Bloemendal since they built it..

Hopefully by then the Brewery is up and running at Conters and they are serving pizza's and beers to round off a good ride....we can link up via the mast to Bloemendal and come back down the Conti ST again.

I am not a member and have not ridden all the trails available, but those I have are quite special. I know Hoogekraal well and have ridden the Welvergenoegd loop.

While I enjoy the trails, they aren't my favourite simply because I prefer stuff that has more line choices and is more natural. For that i have the Tokai and the Green Belts which are also far cooler places to ride in Summer and on my doorstep.  The terrain in the area lends itself to bermed singe track, unlike other rockier areas. TBMBC is an amazing facility close to the City and the recent add ons like the skill park are a bonus. I have been told I need to try Bloemendal and do the XC loop and jumps. That's on the cards one evening soon. 

when December holidays come along we need to hook up for a LTHT ride ek'se.....also need to the XCO loop, have not been to Bloemendal since they built it..

Hopefully by then the Brewery is up and running at Conters and they are serving pizza's and beers to round off a good ride....we can link up via the mast to Bloemendal and come back down the Conti ST again.

Sounds like a real good plan #bro.

Pizza and beer only in Feb 2019......

seeing as we often see you on the cycle lanes ... you do know we do Beer Ride Friday's ... pm me if you want to know more :P

Better late than never .....

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all.

I'm a newcomer to the Tygerberg MTB Club, and looking forward to maybe meeting some of you.

I was wondering if anyone has KML / KMZ files of the various routes open to members (or know where to find them)?  Or perhaps GPX files which I can convert?  I know there is a map on the website, but I like to interact with the maps.

Many thanks

Morning all.

I'm a newcomer to the Tygerberg MTB Club, and looking forward to maybe meeting some of you.

I was wondering if anyone has KML / KMZ files of the various routes open to members (or know where to find them)? Or perhaps GPX files which I can convert? I know there is a map on the website, but I like to interact with the maps.

Many thanks

Check out Trail Forks website or app. The TB trails aren't up to date but it will help for starters.

The trails are all pretty well marked though, and the TB club website does have a list of accurate distances of each trail if you want to plan a ride.

I can share my Strava rides with you as I ride each spot. Below is what I have ridden so far.

https://strava.app.link/ziodpBa6mS

https://strava.app.link/KMFEmRo6mS

https://strava.app.link/KDKYaqz6mS

https://strava.app.link/SSECweZaxS

Edited by Christofison

I see the Tygerberg MOUNTAIN bike club has decided to go all soft for 2019 .... pink and all and all ...  :whistling: 

RESPECT and thanks to the stunning team for the speed and efficiency with 2019 registrations !!  Also a big thanks to Protea hotel for dealing with a steady stream of cyclists picking up their 2019 boards !!   :thumbup:   :clap: