Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

12 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

Are there any technical climbs in the network of trails? I've been around bloemendal and up to the mast, while there is lots of climbing is there anything a bit more techy?

not much hey, there's that lombards climb that has a couple rocky turns, there's that little climb through the forest at the bottom of bloemendaaler/bloemslang that goes back up towards the restaurant that has a few steep and tight turns, but nothing that technical as far as I know. The long loop to faircape/patrick psycho plunge has a couple steep and tight turns as well.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

not much hey, there's that lombards climb that has a couple rocky turns, there's that little climb through the forest at the bottom of bloemendaaler/bloemslang that goes back up towards the restaurant that has a few steep and tight turns, but nothing that technical as far as I know. The long loop to faircape/patrick psycho plunge has a couple steep and tight turns as well.

Thanks, I'll try some of them out. Just looking to for smallish sections I can work into my routes. Jeep track is getting a bit boring :P

1 minute ago, Newbie321 said:

Thanks, I'll try some of them out. Just looking to for smallish sections I can work into my routes. Jeep track is getting a bit boring :P

Also try Hoogekraal, some switchbacks there, but nothing super technical.

Just now, Newbie321 said:

Other than what @Jbrpointed out, there's a wall of a climb up the top of Contermans (just before heading pass the fence to Cheeky Corners, straight but proper tip-of-the-saddle stuff.

25 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Other than what @Jbrpointed out, there's a wall of a climb up the top of Contermans (just before heading pass the fence to Cheeky Corners, straight but proper tip-of-the-saddle stuff.

when he wrote "up to the mast" I assumed he was talking a bout that climb, but you're right, it's not bloemies side so maybe he hasn't. It's not technical though, just brutal ;)

But if you climb from the bottom of happy hops to the mast, you get a few lose rocks sections, both brutal and a little bit technical !

Edited by Jbr

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

when he wrote "up to the mast" I assumed he was talking a bout that climb, but you're right, it's not bloemies side so maybe he hasn't. It's not technical though, just brutal ;)

But if you climb from the bottom of happy hops to the mast, you get a few lose rocks sections, both brutal and a little bit technical !

Then there's the mast segment, northerly side, where the cement bit ends. It's technical. 30 metres feeling like 300 metres. Coffee and cheesecake a well earned reward after hitting that. 

49 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Old Man climb

19 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Then there's the mast segment, northerly side, where the cement bit ends. It's technical. 30 metres feeling like 300 metres. Coffee and cheesecake a well earned reward after hitting that. 

Rode that yesterday. It's been graded - very smooth now, but soft just before and just after the cement.. Used to be rocky which prevented getting into a rhythm.

2 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

Old Man climb

Ja, I think that's the only one that can be categorised as even remotely technical, and even then it's not, really. 

Funny, the cry for more technical climbing trails doesn't elicit anywhere near the coruscation of SIMPism that the cry for more technical descents does, by the looks of things. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Fastbastard Mayhem said:

Ja, I think that's the only one that can be categorised as even remotely technical, and even then it's not, really. 

Funny, the cry for more technical climbing trails doesn't elicit anywhere near the coruscation of SIMPism that the cry for more technical descents does, by the looks of things. 

welcome back dude. long time

if you want some technical climbing, go ride early weekday mornings and ride up Cheeky Corners or up Revised or up etc. But please keep a lookout far ahead for early bird pinners coming down.

1 hour ago, Newbie321 said:

Are there any technical climbs in the network of trails? I've been around bloemendal and up to the mast, while there is lots of climbing is there anything a bit more techy?

Terra Climb at Bloemies keeps your attention, at least 2 or 3 spots do ....

Nothing else, climb wise, that comes close on the Tygerberg trails

8 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

Rode that yesterday. It's been graded - very smooth now, but soft just before and just after the cement.. Used to be rocky which prevented getting into a rhythm.

That rocky segment was always a lekka test. When was it graded?

Must dust off the Scalpel. It's been a while.

not sure when it was done. Yesterday was the first time I've been up there in about a month.

Yes was always a good good lung buster

13 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

if you want some technical climbing, go ride early weekday mornings and ride up Cheeky Corners or up Revised or up etc. But please keep a lookout far ahead for early bird pinners coming down.

bad enough you do this but to suggest others do the same on a blog site?? 

8 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

That rocky segment was always a lekka test. When was it graded?

Must dust off the Scalpel. It's been a while.

They were busy with it on Monday 14 June.

At that time they had dumped and leveled a lot of LOOSE gravel ..... FUN coming DOWN there on that loose stuff ....  No need for cleats, you pucker up to that seat better than any cleat ....