Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greasey send Wayne and I a message when you do because we might jump in and share shipping

I will do, thanks! Fair warning, it will be a long time though - only 3000km in on an XO1 cassette, so that leaves at least 7000km putting me at mid 2022....

But who knows what happens. There may be an itch to scratch before it actually needs scratching.

I will do, thanks! Fair warning, it will be a long time though - only 3000km in on an XO1 cassette, so that leaves at least 7000km putting me at mid 2022....

But who knows what happens. There may be an itch to scratch before it actually needs scratching.

and they do about 7 colours and interesting chainrings too

Anyone have some real world feedback on the redshift products? Really interested in a stem and Seatpost combo, but the Seatpost is heavy and i am leaning towards just the stem...

Finding the only hairy times on the gravel are descents and im out the saddle for those anyway...

They are ridiculously expensive. I found a site some time ago where a guy did a thorough review of suspension seat posts, and the Redshift didn't score well. 

I'll share once I can find. 

Need some advice on new tyres for the gravel bike. I currently have Farr DOT 45C tyres on the bike, but the clearance on the chainstay is far too tight for my liking, so I need something slightly less wide.

I need to go measure them, but I believe that they are closer to 50mm than 45mm, hence the tight squeeze.

Obviously Panaracer Gravelkings are on the list, but a bit hard to stomach at R800 a pop right now. Other suggestions?

40c Ramblers or 40c Sawtooths

For the UK? I'd say Rambler with the constant changing weather and surface conditions you have. For me, nothing but butter like paving and rain one day a year, I'd go with Sawtooth as my "full downhill" option.

My son is riding on "Terra Pro" and likes them a lot.

Edited by WrightJnr

For the UK? I'd say Rambler with the constant changing weather and surface conditions you have. For me, nothing but butter like paving and rain one day a year, I'd go with Sawtooth as my "full downhill" option.

My son is riding on "Terra Pro" and likes them a lot.

Dont think Bertie lives in the UK. 

Ramblers look a bit too rough, and the Sawtooth, well, too smooth... Price on both are in the same class as the Gravel Kings as well, and face the same issue - no stock.

Ramblers look a bit too rough, and the Sawtooth, well, too smooth... Price on both are in the same class as the Gravel Kings as well, and face the same issue - no stock.

Sawtooths may look smooth but they're quite amazing offroad and brilliant on it. Specilaized Stellenbosch has stock of the 42c, didnt look for others while i was there... But they're quite multi surface tyres, despite their initial looks

Sawtooths may look smooth but they're quite amazing offroad and brilliant on it. Specilaized Stellenbosch has stock of the 42c, didnt look for others while i was there... But they're quite multi surface tyres, despite their initial looks

Thanks, I'll pop into my local Spaz store tomorrow and have a look!

Sawtooths it is. Clearance is tight, but much better than before.

5eNWESZ.jpg

Bertus please tell more about your bike.

How do you find that stearing damper ?

Impressed by the first ride on the Sawtooths. They roll really well on the tar, and the bit of gravel on my route this morning was perfectly fine. They are bloody heavy though, paired with heavy wheels (for now) means a bit of effort to get going. But once you're rolling, they are ridiculously stable and just want to plough forward.

uAWIkSF.jpg

Bertus please tell more about your bike.

How do you find that stearing damper ?

Chris, sorry to disappoint, but it's just a stack of red headset spacers...

The bike itself is a Chinese carbon (Deng Fu I think) frame, and I have another set of carbon wheels with 32C Gatorskins for road duty.

izJqk1x.jpg

Braking is handled by TRP HY/RD brakes, and going forward is done by a 2x10 mix bag of 105 Shifters, CX70 46/36 Crankset, Deore XT Rear Derailleur and an 11-36 cassette.