Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

What are you planning on pairing this with?

The kit comes with a fin to convert a 12 speed eagle derailleur to the same shift pull as the shifter. I dont want a big 12 speed eagle derailleur hanging off my bike so have rather elected to upgrade my existing force rear derailleur with the garbaruk cage and pullies. Also fitting the 12 speed garbaruk cassette.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What colour bottle cages and tape for this or do I just go classic black?

0cdab43931d765d97bcca9dcaa937176.jpg

Black matches everything and never goes out of style.

Unless you go with tanwall tyres, then you need a brown saddle and bar tape.

But black cages...

The kit comes with a fin to convert a 12 speed eagle derailleur to the same shift pull as the shifter. I dont want a big 12 speed eagle derailleur hanging off my bike so have rather elected to upgrade my existing force rear derailleur with the garbaruk cage and pullies. Also fitting the 12 speed garbaruk cassette.

Best post pics of this when done.

I would consider that you are doing, but I have a type 2.1 Force, so Eagle or nothing.

More of a monster cross/gravel... Lines get blurred. Built up with apex 1x11 40 front and 42 large on rear. 650b x 2.10 tubeless. Took it out to Reitvlei trails over the weekend. Great fun.

Anyone have some real world feedback on the redshift products? Really interested in a stem and Seatpost combo, but the Seatpost is heavy and i am leaning towards just the stem...

Finding the only hairy times on the gravel are descents and im out the saddle for those anyway...

Anyone have some real world feedback on the redshift products? Really interested in a stem and Seatpost combo, but the Seatpost is heavy and i am leaning towards just the stem...

Finding the only hairy times on the gravel are descents and im out the saddle for those anyway...

I have the Redshift stem on my Lynskey with a rigid fork .. It is not a suspension fork but takes out the sharpness of corrugations. Can recommend it .

I have the Redshift stem on my Lynskey with a rigid fork .. It is not a suspension fork but takes out the sharpness of corrugations. Can recommend it .

I concur. 

I have been using a Redshift stem for ages and it is really a great product.

One of the better buys I have made.  I will not ride with anything else (especially if you are old and decrepit)

Best post pics of this when done.

I would consider that you are doing, but I have a type 2.1 Force, so Eagle or nothing.

Garbaruk as good if not better than eagle and their cages work up to 52 at the back - also make a great 10/50 11 speed cassette

Garbaruk as good if not better than eagle and their cages work up to 52 at the back - also make a great 10/50 11 speed cassette

Where do you order from? And for interest sake, what does a cassette set you back once cleared and delivered?

i recently purchased the stem (with great help from Gravel and Tour) and can really vouch for it. I popped it on the bike two weeks ago, changed the elasonomers to the those recommended for my weight (all quite straight forward) and have done a number of road rides in CT and then two days in the Karoo this past weekend.

On road, it makes matters a more comfortable, takes the edge off rough tar, but I would not say that it is a complete game changer. But on gravel, holy cow it makes a difference. This past weekend we were at Simonsvlei and I did the loop down to the dam and the wonderful climb up the corregated / rocky road up the other side. On the way down the jeep track over golf ball to tennis ball size rocks it made matters far more manageable. On flat corrugated and rocky roads, you keep on looking at the bumps and get ready for shock and whereas you do sort of feel it, it is far, far less intense. It sort of has a magic carpet feel. But perhaps the largest difference is when you flying down a more open gravel road over corrugations, stones etc, it does help iron out matters tremendously, but also increases your control substantially as the front wheel is not pinging off stones and bouncing. It really entices you to cane it on the downhills (with the massive grin on your face).

At the end of a ride, one feels far less fatigued and your hands are happier. Aside from the stem, I have gravelking SK 43c tires at 30psi.

That said, one needs to remind oneself that it is really a "shock absorber" not a full suspension MTB. 

post-32491-0-42985800-1614580652_thumb.jpg

post-32491-0-03335800-1614580665_thumb.jpg

Where do you order from? And for interest sake, what does a cassette set you back once cleared and delivered?

missed this - currently deliveries take about 2 weeks to your door - usually 4 or 5 days

No duties and the freight is unusually fair if you can get a few items together - a 12 speed cassette is about 250USD

garbaruk.com - I think its Ukraine owned but manufactured in Poland

service is awesome

These guys need to start paying me com - I just bought a bunch of stuff for friends

missed this - currently deliveries take about 2 weeks to your door - usually 4 or 5 days

No duties and the freight is unusually fair if you can get a few items together - a 12 speed cassette is about 250USD

garbaruk.com - I think its Ukraine owned but manufactured in Poland

service is awesome

These guys need to start paying me com - I just bought a bunch of stuff for friends

Thanks! Seems like a worthwhile alternative to an XO1 or XX1 cassette. Will have a look when I need to replace mine.