Cajee's and cheap bikes

dirtrider

Here's a good example of how they work. In the latest Cyclingnews they advertise a Trek 1500 With a full Tiagra groupset Incl the calipers and cranks. Someone I know went over there to buy the bike but then suddenly the only tiagra part on the bike was the Sti's. With a Sora!! rear der No name cranks, hubs, seatpost, rims ect. Then the price of R5000 grand isnt such a big bargain anymore.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a good example of how they work. In the latest Cyclingnews they advertise a Trek 1500 With a full Tiagra groupset Incl the calipers and cranks. Someone I know went over there to buy the bike but then suddenly the only tiagra part on the bike was the Sti's. With a Sora!! rear der No name cranks' date=' hubs, seatpost, rims ect. Then the price of R5000 grand isnt such a big bargain anymore. [/quote']

... And no-name brake calipers which can seriously affect safety! And most of the no-name stuff is also steel, not ally, which also makes the price seem even worse! That said, I have often bought stuff real cheap on sale at Cajees.

I dont rate them at all. My LBS is much more worth it. I get advice, help when needed, after sales service, perfect service every time. Sometimes it pays to be loyal. Isn't what you'd expect from people if you owned a shop? Price is important, but remember, when u crash from an error from a poor workshop it's gonna cost more than a saving on a pump

Every bicycle that I have bought for myself (or family) has come from Cajees, Westdene or Solomons. i'm afraid these guys buy in bulk, run their businesses effeciently and if you are prepared to haggle AND you know what you want BEFORE you come into the store you will get an excellent price.   Similarly if I was going to drop 10-20k on a flat screen TV I would go to one of the big electronics stores (Stax, Hifi corp.) who will give me the best price - even if their service/ sales staff are useless.

but these shops should carry a warning (especially Cajees Fourways):

- Dont service your bicycle here.

- Dont ask for advice

- If you start buying accessories you are going to get ripped off!

Lastly Solomons and Westdene always seem to be able to beat Cajees prices! 

When you intend buying at Cajees, why don't you insist on talking to the owner who is Ahmed Laher. Ahmed will not beat around the bush when it comes to pricing and he will honour what he advertises! I suggest that not matter which of his stores you visit; insist in talking pricing with Ahmed; even if it means that the store has to call him on his cell.

Similarly if I was going to drop 10-20k on a flat screen TV I would go to one of the big electronics stores (Stax' date=' Hifi corp.) who will give me the best price - even if their service/ sales staff are useless. 

[/quote']

I don't know what is worse, buying from Cajess or HI-FI Corruption. If you want some entertainment, go and sit infront of a HI-FI Corruption on a Saterday and note the people that come out with stuff. Then go back the next morning and see how many of them is bringing it back.

my lbs sent me to cajees last year to get my TCR due to stock availablility of my size (XS)... i would never go back willingly and yes, the correct set-up etc was done at my lbs and all services etc will always be at lbs (who even swapped my handlebars when i got the 3T Eva's, at no charge!!!). where certain products might cost slightly more (i wouldn't actually know cos i get a lekker discount) the service wayyyy makes up for it (half the time i gotta fight to pay for labour when i bug htem for small stuff - they act as if "oh, it's small, it only took a few minutes, no need to charge" and yet they are meant to be running a business and i want to help make sure that they are still around for all my cycling days!!!!)

I don't know what is worse' date=' buying from Cajess or HI-FI Corruption. If you want some entertainment, go and sit infront of a HI-FI Corruption on a Saterday and note the people that come out with stuff. Then go back the next morning and see how many of them is bringing it back.

[/quote']

You need to get out more Confused

Similarly if I was going to drop 10-20k on a flat screen TV I would go to one of the big electronics stores (Stax' date=' Hifi corp.) who will give me the best price - even if their service/ sales staff are useless. 

[/quote']

I don't know what is worse, buying from Cajess or HI-FI Corruption. If you want some entertainment, go and sit infront of a HI-FI Corruption on a Saterday and note the people that come out with stuff. Then go back the next morning and see how many of them is bringing it back.

True, but If Linden cycles will sell you a brand new X bike with Y components for R11000 (list price 12k) and Cajees you can get the same bike, same components (list price 12.5k) for say R10000... who will you buy it from?

If Cajees had their own branded bicycles I wouldn't touch them!

Whatever you do don't let them service your bike, a friend of mine took his son's bike there for a service and they didn't reassemble it properly so when he took it for a test ride in the parking lot the rear wheel section of the bike literally came to pieces and he fell badly and ended up breaking his hand. Public liability 101...

Hi-Fi Corruption.........Here's another, try buying from Incredible Deception!!!!

I bought my first bike from Makro and you should have heard the crap I was spun about bikes. Fortunately, a month later, I saw the light and now I've got two Silverbacks and a GT......the Makro Raleigh, well that was eventually dusted down and donated to the local church.

I'm still waiting for a quote from Cajees on pedals. They did not know what I was talking about. West Rand Cycles was not any better.

Conversation with WRC went as follow.

Me: Morning, can I speak to someone regardign quote on pedals.

Girl @ WRC: I can help, what is it you are looking for.

Me: The price on Shimano Ultegras en Time RXS.

Girl @ WRC: Oh damn, just a minute (rumble off something to a bloke in the back) A guy take the phone from her.

Guy @ WRC: Hi, can I help you?

Me: Can you please give me the price on Shimano Ultegra en Time RXS pedals

Guy @ WRC: The Ultegra are about R650.

Me: Are you sure because everybody else is about R800.

Guy @ WRC: Ah, you are right. Then it will be around there.

Me: And Time RXS?

Guy @ WRC: Time RXE...

Me: No, RXS.

Guy @ WRC: Time RXE is...

Me: I don't want RXE, I want RXS!

Guy @ WRC: About R500.

Me: Is that now for the RXE or RXS?

Guy @ WRC: RXE.

Me: I want RXS pelase!

Guy @ WRC: They are about (long pause)     R1370.

Me: Is that for the normal ones or carbon?

Guy @ WRC: Carbon.

Me: And the price for the normal TXS?

Guy @ WRC: R1100.

Me: Thank you, bye

Well well well after all said and done I note that some people are at it again,like I said in the other posts stop moaning about Cajees stores and their Bad Bike service and set-up thereof. Cajees is in the market to sell bikes and the like.

You are the paying customer walk away and go to your shop of choice, for those who complain they are advertising falsely report them to the ASA or consumer council.

Is it not stange for the 2007 team issue Raleigh Cajees has received over 750 orders and you guys are still coming in to put your names on the waiting list.

If we are that BAD why come to us?????? By the way do you know how many other cycling shops around the country come and purchase from us as well to please you their loyal customer.

I've bought every bike we have from Cajees in Fourways. After having done the run around for good quotes, I always got the best price @ Cajees Fourways . Mohammed even smiles when I enter the store. And not the type of smile your mother gives you when she hasn't see u for three months.

The advise is not the best, I realise that. But like most hubbers you do your own research before hand and really just look for the best price on your chosen product.