Junk miles

FDP

I’ve been reading up on doing more scientific/structured training. A few coaches refer to a term “junk miles” in their material. Reference is made that “too many athletes do a lot of junk miles and not enough quality miles”.

What do they refer to here? My understanding is that it is not all about the total milage that one does but what it consists of.

What would be examples of worthless training miles?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me,

I have a two hour XC circuit from my house. If I ride it hard, it's a training ride. If I ride it "slow but steady" it's a recovery ride. If I ride it very slowly and take photos it's a social ride.

However, if I ride it a bit harder than recovery but not hard enough to be proper training, then it's really just a waste of time. Typically this occurs when my head is not in the right place. I end up doing myself more harm than good and the miles covered are junk miles.

For me,

I have a two hour XC circuit from my house. If I ride it hard, it's a training ride. If I ride it "slow but steady" it's a recovery ride. If I ride it very slowly and take photos it's a social ride.

However, if I ride it a bit harder than recovery but not hard enough to be proper training, then it's really just a waste of time. Typically this occurs when my head is not in the right place. I end up doing myself more harm than good and the miles covered are junk miles.

nicely said there Bonus, this is exactly what I was trying to say you just brought it across better.

For me,

That's just confusion!

Junk miles are only junk miles if your aim to get to the absolute best training and fitness out of every ride.

If you actually enjoy riding a bicycle there is no such thing as junk miles.

I would imagine 99% of miles ridden by non pros or serious athletes would fall into the junk miles category.

Edited by Eldron

Junk miles are only junk miles if your aim to get to the absolute best training and fitness out of every ride.

If you actually enjoy riding a bicycle there is no such thing as junk miles.

I would imagine 99% of miles ridden by non pros or serious athletes would fall into the junk miles category.

THERE ARE NO SUCH THINGS AS JUNK MILES!

#SHOUTING

*dont forge to smile or insert humour*

haha, there is a few simple things to cut out most of the junk miles, If you are doing training rides don't go below zone 2 and keep pedaling , If you recover between intervals don't stop pedaling keep going and recover in zone 1. Downhills you keep pedaling till the speed is too high or whatever stops you. Incorporate some speed pedaling drills on downhills. So in a nutshell don't free on the bike just keep pedaling with resistance.

I did one junk mile this weekend.

It was during the Double 90 event at Clarens.

In Golden Gate there is a climb called the :Mineshaft"...

Its about a mile long (maybe shorter)... at 17% it can be considered as a junk mile... :whistling:

Edited by Mongoose!