Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, really?!

Just because someone prefer not to edit posts, now they are suddenly technologically challenged???

Many people (me included), prefer not to edit posts so it remains a true reflection of their comments, and would rather ad another post.

Who died and made you forum technology advisor...?

Wow, really?!

With that reasoning you probably also stir your coffee by covering the cup with your hand and shaking it, because spoons give a metal taste, right? Yea that's what your example sounds like.

Many people use it as an excuse to increase their post counts too, probably more than the "many" that do it to "retain authenticity". Your argument is flawed though, because you can edit the post without making changes to the original to begin with. Regardless, if retaining so called "true reflection" was the intention of the website, the edit button wouldn't exist to begin with.

Who died? Bad failed attempt at humor. I remember years back in school hearing the same jokes from class clowns. Keep your panties on and stop making incorrect assumptions and jumping to equally incorrect conclusions. My first post was a blatant and direct question as to WHY, no "advice" was propagated when supporting the question with the alternative provided by the site.

Now, if you have actual contributions to make on the topic like I did, go ahead. Otherwise, keep your rants to pm's.

I price to sell and buy on what I feel is a good price.  Never had a problem buying or selling, although have been messed around by a few buyers.

Communication is key between both buyer and seller.

hahahahahaha Dirkitech blowing up the thread again with Nazi'isms!

The classifieds are all good. 'Like New', 'Brand New - only used a few times' etc still my favourite.

If I see that in the heading i just browse straight past. The seller is obviously a liar and untrustworthy, delusional and needs an excuse to inflate the price......  :ph34r:

people can really ask what they want, even if the price is really silly and unrealistic .... but if you are posting an add like this .... or some of those really expensive items, please please please make an effort with decent pics of the items and a proper description in the details section ... if a seller is going to be lazy in his/her advert they can not expect a quick sale in anyway.

....and constantly having to ask Boost, TA standards etc lol

nah, I was on the move and posted quickly 

wouldn't that "but overall..." look better if you use the edit function, specifically designed for that purpose?

To this day, I find that items in demand priced reasonably well sell, items not in demand and items that are overpriced, don't sell quickly or well. Nothing out of the ordinary, imo!

hahahahahaha Dirkitech blowing up the thread again with Nazi'isms!

The classifieds are all good. 'Like New', 'Brand New - only used a few times' etc still my favourite.

If I see that in the heading i just browse straight past. The seller is obviously a liar and untrustworthy, delusional and needs an excuse to inflate the price......  :ph34r:

This?

Snip: The seller is obviously a liar and untrustworthy, delusional and needs an excuse to inflate the price.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/351609-specialized-deflect-si-vest/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/352163-castelli-tri-jerseys/

No, you stipulated Still New ... not Like New .... and you still have the tags on.

What I think Chewybacon is referring to are adds where a bike is advertised as "Brand New, only ridden for a couple of rides" kind of add's

This?

Snip: The seller is obviously a liar and untrustworthy, delusional and needs an excuse to inflate the price.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/351609-specialized-deflect-si-vest/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/352163-castelli-tri-jerseys/

No, you stipulated Still New ... not Like New .... and you still have the tags on.

What I think Chewybacon is referring to are adds where a bike is advertised as "Brand New, only ridden for a couple of rides" kind of add's

Still New or Brand New same thing

Snip: The classifieds are all good. 'Like New', 'Brand New - only used a few times' etc still my favourite.

nah, I was on the move and posted quickly 

Makes perfect sense. Thank you for taking a moment to enlighten me with context, I do appreciate it.

Some hubbers on this thread lack this skill.

Wow, really?!

Just because someone prefer not to edit posts, now they are suddenly technologically challenged???

Many people (me included), prefer not to edit posts so it remains a true reflection of their comments, and would rather ad another post.

Who died and made you forum technology advisor...?

You win

Personal fav's are:

- a nice big 'BARGAIN' to start the title... and then it's not

- One day only special: "I'm going to drop this for 1 day / 1 week only and if it doesn't sell I'm putting it back up to the original price" Which it blatantly hasn't sold at for weeks and weeks

- Groupsets which are a rear mech, shifter and cassette. It's not a groupset it's not even a drive train as you'd need a crank. 

I'm not too bothered with the 'like new' or 'nearly new' as it gives an indication (if the owner is honest) of wear etc. It's the VGC and then you check the photos and it's been dragged through a bush, throw down a hill and ridden without any grease for 10,000kms. 

Still New or Brand New same thing

Snip: The classifieds are all good. 'Like New', 'Brand New - only used a few times' etc still my favourite.

If you see what i wrote, it says 'Brand New - only used a few times'

Something CANNOT be Brand New if it's been used a few times.

If it's Brand New, it has never been used. Ever.

Unless it's the awesome Emo rock band called Brand New.... I Have listened to their music a LOT and they are still Brand New.

edited:i see the 'newness' aka duplicitous advertising aspect is already being discussed

Edited by Capricorn

As everyone mentioned here it is economic crunch time in SA and things to take longer to sell. I had recently sold some goodies that came off a Trance that I bought 2nd hand for really good price and I sold the stuff at reasonable pricing and was negotiable to a reasonable degree. I rebuild the Trance with my better components and then rebuilt and sold my hardtail with good components compared to what was stock. Hydraulic brakes, 3x10 with XT RD, SLX shifters and a Epicon 130mm air fork, tubeless etc. 

All this being said the bike was worth more in my mind but if you searched for bike to buy most people would look at the bike's price as stock in the shop and forget about all the upgraded parts. I Citi Golf is still a Citi Golf even if it has a TSI engine in but, I reckon as buyers and sellers we need to be reasonable. I got my price and even though I felt it was worth more the market did determine was I would reasonably get. 

I cringe when I see an item new or used for more or the same as it is at the LBS or online. If you bought it, it is still 2nd hand even if unused. 

If you see what i wrote, it says 'Brand New - only used a few times'

Something CANNOT be Brand New if it's been used a few times.

If it's Brand New, it has never been used. Ever.

Unless it's the awesome Emo rock band called Brand New.... I Have listened to their music a LOT and they are still Brand New.

Like I said in my previous post I cringe when I see an item new or used for more or the same as it is at the LBS or online. If you bought it, it is still 2nd hand even if unused.