Scammer - Barry Smith

Stall_Gear

Arrange to meet him in person with a great bike at a cheap price - then do what you want with him.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrange the sale and send him an empty box with a friendly letter in it... At least you get some enjoyment out of it at the small cost of the courier charge. Maybe even get a few hubbers to deliver the box to the chosen location?

A box  with some dog poop is worse than an empty box. 

Edited by IH8MUD

Headsup, we have another player in the game. My ad was picked up by someone asking me to mail them back at carlosjanet016@gmail.com. A quick Google confirms that this person never actually collects the item, but "pays" you the full amount and then asks that you pay the shipping company. Their transaction is reversed and you basically give them whatever money was paid to the false shipping company.

"i will like to inform you that am buying the item for my Family in Thornton Heath,so i will be the one responsible for the pickup and delivery stuff.kindly get back to me with your full name and address so that i can forward it to the pick up agent to calculate the pick up fees for I have forwarded the address to the shipping company so they can calculate the pickup and delivery cost for me to make the payment. Im sure they will contact you soon. I would like you to know that the payment will be made via PayPal because is fast and secured to send and receive money online,All you have to send me is your PayPal email address so I can make the payment immediately. Hope to hear back from you asap."

Guest Ratchet road

Oh and btw, these guys also use fake paypal sites created by them :cursing:

Arrange to meet him in person with a great bike at a cheap price - then do what you want with him.

These scammers are active on any site with goods for sale . I am on a few classic car forums and you get the same "oil rig " or working in" Papua New Guinea  " story about the surprise purchase .Classic car parts of old era SA build cars are of particular interest to them because of the rarity .

Thanks hubbers!!!

Got a whatsapp, asking for an email... it was so odd I googled his email address... and found this post.

His number:

+27 74 430 0208

His messasge

I am interested in buying the bike. Kindly get back to me via email at  barry4smith02@gmail.com  waiting to hear from you soon

From what I read, he's going to tell me he's working for Diamnd Offshore as a petro enineer, and he's buying the bike as a surprise for his cousin.... and it goes downhill from there.

I replied

Hi, my email address is cousin-surprise@diamandsoffshore.com.

Cheers to the OP for starting this post. You saved me and others a lot of admin!

Thanks hubbers!!!

Got a whatsapp, asking for an email... it was so odd I googled his email address... and found this post.

His number:

+27 74 430 0208

His messasge

I am interested in buying the bike. Kindly get back to me via email at  barry4smith02@gmail.com  waiting to hear from you soon

From what I read, he's going to tell me he's working for Diamnd Offshore as a petro enineer, and he's buying the bike as a surprise for his cousin.... and it goes downhill from there.

I replied

Hi, my email address is cousin-surprise@diamandsoffshore.com.

Cheers to the OP for starting this post. You saved me and others a lot of admin!

Ditto. Just got the exact same message for the bike I'm selling, 

Thanks OP and BikeHub  :thumbup:

Can't believe this guy doesn't change his MO as clearly he has been busted.

LOL, shame. For all we know there really is a Barry Smith really looking to buy a bike and can't figure out why no-one wants to deal with him :lol: 

Old Barry was trying to scam my hubby today as well...same classic one about being on an oil rig and wanting to buy the bike for his cousin...Same s... different day