Bicycling Magazine Loss of Values

jandemoerin

What the magazine thinks will sell and what we as a public find acceptable are two different things.

Offense and morality are not mutually exclusive.

This is ropey ground, bound to be fraught with emotive and very personal comments. My take is that I don't think the matter at hand moves the dial enough to consider this to even be a moral issue. Surely there has to be a threshold?

Edit: I actually agree with the OP writing to the magazine - maybe not the method/outrage but certainly the fact that he decided what he thinks is not acceptable and did something about it.

Op can write to whoever the hell he wants - throw in the Eater Bunny and Santa Claus if you like. Crying about not getting a response is a different story. To this I would say, grow up, son

One of the issues in SA is that people don't (for the large part) get involved - they tend to moan to their mates or whinge on thehub. Someone having some moral fortitude/actions to words I find quite refreshing! Way better than reading random letters addressed to drivers of vehicles...

Sorry, but there's is little difference between writing to the magazine and posting on the Hub - its all the same - thinking that our opinions are grand, and that everyone is entitled to hear them. It's all BS, and getting all poopipant when people think you have written a load of k@k is just sad. All opinions are NOT equal. Who decides? The group decides by overwhelming consensus, that's who. In this case, the Hub mob. If one doesn't like it, then leave, I guess?

By inserting your commented in green while quoting Eldron in red are you subtley saying you are right and they are wrong?

I can't see anything that can be disagreed with in the comments Eldron posted. I do see shakey logic in all the green stuff so I'm wondering why are you getting so animated wrt to this issue. Please tell us how you really feel because this merry go round is making me dizzy

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It didn't offend me, so it's fine? :ph34r:

only if you read understood it properly :whistling:

Edited by PygaSchmyga

Bicycling Magazine trolling BikeHub I reckon.

Jan Koekemoer...jandemoerin, all his serious answers...someone’s playing us

As opposed to women who ALWAYS see what they want to see.... ???

Wow, is this still going? I thought this was dead and buried. Might also need to see what I've missed since the 'rude words included' post. I'm guessing that there has been a lot of offence taken about a post which originally offended the OP with guys who are offended and the guys who aren't offended by the magazine and are now universally offended by each others position on what is offensive. 

Bicycling Magazine trolling BikeHub I reckon.

Jan Koekemoer...jandemoerin, all his serious answers...someone’s playing us

Hi Tim. Were you not the previous editor of Bicyling Magazine?

Offence is taken - not given. Certainly pulling a zap sign is intended to offend (that's why you "zap the bird" if you get the moer in with someone (see what I did there?)).

Unfortunately offensive gestures are everywhere and have become a part of pop culture. When last did you subject your ears to some of this latest rap music? Now that's offensive! The language; promotion of the use of drugs (not Armstrong stuff - I'm talking about dope/crack/cocaine etc); consumerism (Gucci; Rolex brands get major push); objectification of women; swearing; racism...I cannot believe that particular music genre sells millions of dollars worth. And to the youth. And its everywhere. Walk into a mall and listen for some rap dude talking about...well, I'd better not say because that would be really offensive!

So you would counter that argument by saying that a magazine is "contained data" (unlike music, you decide whether to see the content or not). Its meant to contain only family-friendly bike pics and stories. Well, I personally don't know of many kids who page through the Bicycling magazine. Hell - do kids even "page" any more? They normally "swipe" through something on their phone. Nevertheless (and I digress) my lonesome opinion on this is: whilst cyclists pulling zaps may be offensive, in a world where you can hear about "bi#ches loving my long d@ng" booming in over the speakers when you walk into any retail store in a mall, the world is indeed (as Mr Moerin dejectedly points out) losing its moral compass. And it would be very hard to keep out all things potentially offensive. Better to let kids know that there are many bad things out there and let them decide whats right and what's wrong - because at the end of the day, that's all you really can do (is help your kids form their own values).

Edited by The Russian

Hi Tim. Were you not the previous editor of Bicycling Magazine?

A long time ago, yes.

Edited by Tim Brink

At the moment, this thread is so interesting on say many levels.

Offensive, morals and all such jazz.

But somehow this seems to be part of the new trend. The apparent use of social media (or the internet) to take make a point, to be heard. Make it viral. Hit the serotonin. Get gang support. Lets get everyone on board.

Certainly risky, since the plan can backfire, as not everyone may agree with you. Certainly risky, because you can get famous, as every one agrees with you.

But make no mistake, we need these kind of posts. It gets us talking, just a pity we have to do it anonymously for so many of the important topics. Kind of like trolling and rambling. I need to go look for spock. I need to be beemed up, as opposed to beemered.

A long time ago, yes.

back in the days before 29'er hit it big and you were still rocking a GT fully rigid SS at the 24hr's race!?!?

damned, you must be REALLY old now :P