[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

Seems like a nice place to rant. 2019 will be my 21st ARGUS

The results say I've only done 18.

The first anomaly is my 1998 result.

It was the first year of electronic timing, and DIGITRON didn't get everyone.

I had to fill in forms, fax them off - alles. I can't remember if they sent the certificate or not.

But somehow it isn't on racetec now, so they tell me it doesn't count. 

Then in 2012 I did it in a massive rush but forgot my chip. I already owned 2/3 and the oke at the start said it's cool you don't have to buy a new one and they will record you at the finish manually. I was wearing "casual" cycling gear and going for fun, not a decent time so wasn't too bothered at the start.

I've tried to get them to add both to my record, but they won't budge, you know because of the rules. I've paid entered and ridden all of them.....So I'll be the guy who got his daughter to colour in his racenumber on sunday to what it should be.

Not cool. and IICR you posted pics a few pages ago of the casual clothes race? You get a pretty cool framed certificate for club 21. I have most of the kit. The cycling top is a bit of an old school design but it's still a unique item. The T-Shirt is pretty cool-plain white with the 21 logo in gold/black on the front left. Cap is lekker as well. I got the golf shirt but not keen on the shades of bluey purpley so don't really wear it.

I would be very cross if I was in your cleats.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to fill in forms, fax them off - alles. I can't remember if they sent the certificate or not.

Then in 2012 I did it in a massive rush but forgot my chip. I already owned 2/3 and the oke at the start said it's cool you don't have to buy a new one and they will record you at the finish manually. I was wearing "casual" cycling gear and going for fun, not a decent time so wasn't too bothered at the start.

I've tried to get them to add both to my record, but they won't budge, you know because of the rules. I've paid entered and ridden all of them.....So I'll be the guy who got his daughter to colour in his racenumber on sunday to what it should be.

For me its 18. I want that 21 jersey though. I skipped 3 years when i was big in to MTBing. Now i basically do max 2 to 3 races a year. Ridden in rain in the first one, did the Cape of storms and the fire year as well a s the cancellation year. I was aware it was going to be hard before i left the flat in Sea Point for the year they cancelled so i had filled myself up to the gills. 2 x bowls of oats, 4 x caffeine sachets and 2 x bananas with 2 more in the jersey pockets. As i was walking out the door the wife says to me "its cancelled".  I can tell you i wasn't hungry until late that evening...

Thats harsh.

i've got a similar thing with 947, even though I have a medal and a certificate for it, it is not on racetec and they dont count it. 

I've never bothered to query it though so not sure how they will handle it.

Think I'm going to pull the plug on this one.

Started with a sore throat a week ago and now picked up a cough as well over the weekend.

Maybe it's a sign.

if you improve, just take a nice, mellow, slow cruise of the peninsula without the worry of cars.  There will be other hazzards

In 2012 I was a marshal for the Argus at the end of the M3.  I told myself that I wanted to do it next year, told everyone around me too and I committed.  At that point I was overweight and not at all into cycling.  One year later I was 30kg lighter and did my first Argus in 3h30.

for 2020 I want to hear how you took a 4x4 to Kyalami and overtook a Porsche

Thats harsh.

i've got a similar thing with 947, even though I have a medal and a certificate for it, it is not on racetec and they dont count it. 

I've never bothered to query it though so not sure how they will handle it.

Same with me on the first 94.7. I did it - was my first cycle race ever and i sure as hell nearly died. I didnt read the bit about it being called Jhb's toughest race. Never credited me for it even though there was no timing on the course at all. Now they wont add it to my tally, although the 94.7 is,  since they added the highway, a crap route so i am not too concerned,

Edited by Paul Ruinaard

I wonder how many of my results are missing!? Should also be close to 21.

Do two laps count towards the 21?

Genuine question as I have no clue on tandems except they offer great shelter - let's say on a good day my "talent" and training can get me a 3.30 and I have a friend who can do the same.  I weigh 95, he weighs 75 and we skill up on the tandem.  Is a sub 3 then possible or are we still on for 330 or even slower?

Hypothetical because I'm not letting him steer and I wouldn't let me steer if I was him.

Nope :(  otherwise would be on 21.

ha imagine if someone overtook the magnificent Seven Six?!

Not cool. and IICR you posted pics a few pages ago of the casual clothes race? You get a pretty cool framed certificate for club 21. I have most of the kit. The cycling top is a bit of an old school design but it's still a unique item. The T-Shirt is pretty cool-plain white with the 21 logo in gold/black on the front left. Cap is lekker as well. I got the golf shirt but not keen on the shades of bluey purpley so don't really wear it.

I would be very cross if I was in your cleats.

I didn't think I'd care that much about it, but it's always been a goal to get to 21. I might just have to wait two more years!

they didn't count this one:

post-1830-0-58939400-1551788756_thumb.jpg

this was where i rode the cancelled one

post-1830-0-64134900-1551788789_thumb.png

and my first, I grew up getting ready to go watch the cyclists pass under the kendal road bridge, so was stoked to finally do it myself. My aunt took cycling seriously in the 80's. on her first argus in '87?? it was pouring with rain. she pulled out at the bottom of hospital bend, we waited in vain forever for her to come past and cheer her on!

post-1830-0-67697900-1551788812_thumb.jpg

That was with an Avalanche sirocco. Did the race with my dad who was also doing his first. Was a real effort keeping up with him on the downhills! The next year my younger sister did it with him, and I was set free. a few years later my mom did her first with him, and she's up to about 18 now. Both my older brother and younger sister won the junior schools category

Genuine question as I have no clue on tandems except they offer great shelter - let's say on a good day my "talent" and training can get me a 3.30 and I have a friend who can do the same.  I weigh 95, he weighs 75 and we skill up on the tandem.  Is a sub 3 then possible or are we still on for 330 or even slower?

Hypothetical because I'm not letting him steer and I wouldn't let me steer if I was him.

I would say No. Both my toppie and I race Vets when not on the tandem(VA for me and V60+ for him) and my vets times are very similar/faster and his are similar/slower but by like 5/10min at the most. On the local one day calendar the Argus is considered hilly and climbing on a tandem can be harder than on a single so you won't really be faster. But on a flat route you would probably be faster but not by 30min over 100odd km.

I Have kept all my numbers since my 11th tour. I kick myself for not keeping my first 10.

I might have kept number 10, I know I brought it home but dont recall putting it "in a safe place"

Also last years 40take2 because I rode it with my dad.

I know that the first time I took my wife to Cape Town for her to witness me riding (we were still dating at the time) she kept the number. But chicks are sentimental like that.

If I do my target time this year I'll keep this years number.