[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

Now I is worried, Strava says 2019 year to date stats:

Total rides:10

Total Hrs: 29

Total Distance: 649.7km 

And the preceding few months were even worse.

Given me an estimated finish time guys, I think I need to adjust my expectations. 

I did 3:07 last year with 36hrs of training and 501km for jan/feb 2018.    All depends on what your base was the year before.

Edited by Karman de Lange

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did 3:07 last year with 36hrs of training and 501km for jan/feb 2018.    All depends on what your base was the year before.

and of course natural ability and other factors.  I'm relatively well prepared and if everything went my way 330 ish - my mate hasn't cycled since last Argus and will be quicker which really sucks

Thats harsh.

i've got a similar thing with 947, even though I have a medal and a certificate for it, it is not on racetec and they dont count it. 

I've never bothered to query it though so not sure how they will handle it.

My 1998 and 1999 947 results were also not on Racetec. But I had the certificates. So I scanned them in and sent them to the 947 organisers who got them to Racetec. They added them to my Racetec profile within a couple of days. All sorted. You should give it a try...

Edited by CatchMeIfYouCan

oh, and with regards to the medals.

a) I'm not a racing snake, I work hard to finish 100km, the medals mean something to me.

b) My daughter has show and tell at school this week, she asked me last night if she can take my number 10 medal and some photos to talk about the Argus that "Dad" rides. I'll be adding the 40take2 medal to that and the 40th anniversary book.

I think my daughters friends are a bit tired of her bringing either her medals or my medals in on Mondays...  But they love doing events to get medals, I'm happy they want to live a healthy lifestyle. 

Looking at your pics, LWB, it dawns on me that us Capetonians seem to take the scene too for granted. Nice one.

(although, the mountain is not always this crisp and clear)

Cape Town is amazing. I love it there but I would not be able to live there. The wind and wet winter(well........) would get to me.

Sooooooo, Rode the route today again...

Places/Danger areas to look out for.

- Kommetjie Road from Masi on that little drag up to the robots where we turn left, that road becomes a single lane, and then stays a single lane after the left turn towards Ou Kaaps direction and only opens up just before the traffic lights before the entrance to the mall on the left. I highly doubt they will be able to open it before the weekend as those big yellow dividers are placed all along the road.

The whole road is closed to traffic, so while it may be a single lane today, on race day it will be two lanes wide.

- I am ASSUMING that they are going to redirect the route through the entrance to the parking lot at the end of the mall and out again past the BP garage(usually on the left) as that road is also only a single lane and that being coming from Noordhoek side, with all those yellow floor dividers, again I do not see them to removing them all and then putting them all back after the race.

Nope.  We'll be using the single lane which is currently being used as the one way coming from Noordhoek side.  Hopefully they get everyone into single file effectively before that or it'll be a bottleneck. 

Agreed - i was thinking more in context of 94.7 which is really just an up and down type race. I wouldnt like to do the new 94.7 on a tandem. Did the old one on a tandem with my wife and it was tough. Sadly I have never done Argus on a tandem but always wanted to. Tandems aren't faster than the riders on them, but i suppose a tandem powered by big strong guys (not climbers) motoring down blue route or on the flatlands is a thing of beauty and racing them when you are built to ride at 45 kmh on the flats and pull the bunch rather than 20kmh up the hills when climbing is what i had in mind. 

I loved the tandem and would happily race one again - it's not easier than single bikes though.

Yeah 947 is probably the only one that comes close. In fact if you look at metres climbed to km ridden 947 might have more climbing?

Although we not heavy riders we don't climb that well(compared to the tandem winners) but we do ok compared to most tandem pairings as we both just ride so well together and my partner is not just my Dad, we pretty much best friends. He is almost 63 so I can't expect him to climb like some of the youngsters we race with. But in the gym he pushes more watts on the wattbike than me and when we do legs he can push more weight than me!!! He is an ex triathlete(full ironman was his thing) so he can maintain a high, constant output for a while. He likes a constant rhythm. 

Thing with a tandem is you will either love it or hate it and you will either be good or struggle. There is no real happy medium because you taking 2 different people with many different styles/likes/preferences trying to work together to get the best output.

I raced kremetart with a team mate a few years back and hell we did well including a solo 22km stage win but we were both completely stuffed after the race and have never ridden together(tandem) again. We enjoyed it but our styles are very different and at times we were working against each other.

Jurre Cape Town is lekker. You won't find a better location for such an awesome race.

Ag, it's oukay you know. CTCT is certainly not the top event on my calendar. I do it because it's 20 minutes away from home. 

Lekker pic. Lekker bike. Interesting spot for the brake lever, Reason for it there? flip flop hub?

Fixie, standard brake lever OEM for straight bars, flipflop but currently fixed @ 48/16

My 1998 and 1999 947 results were also not on Racetec. But I had the certificates. So I scanned them in and sent them to the 947 organisers who got them to Racetec. They added them to my Racetec profile within a couple of days. All sorted. You should give it a try...

thanks...while I'm a hoarder, but i was doubtful of finding a 20 year old certificate in my files!

I have done all the other things you can do.

Cape Town is amazing. I love it there but I would not be able to live there. The wind and wet winter(well........) would get to me.

wind - try windsurfing/kiting/downwind surfski

you learn to LOVE the south easter!

wet winter - even in a wet year, it doesn't rain much. People like to complain.

thanks...while I'm a hoarder, but i was doubtful of finding a 20 year old certificate in my files!

I have done all the other things you can do.

when I first started action photo had an album you could buy to put photos and certificates in.

I started a little collection back then, I'm pretty sure my old certificates will still be in there, I just need to find which box I stuffed the album into.