[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

With Saturday done and, well, more muded than dusted - if all goes well Sunday I'll have another piece or wood and metal to jam together and put in the cupboard.  ;)

attachicon.gifIMG_20190303_204126.jpg

Where be 2017 boet?  :clap:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many other races come close to this?

Edinburgh drive, Smits, chappies and suiker bossie are tough on a tandem.

Agreed - i was thinking more in context of 94.7 which is really just an up and down type race. I wouldnt like to do the new 94.7 on a tandem. Did the old one on a tandem with my wife and it was tough. Sadly I have never done Argus on a tandem but always wanted to. Tandems aren't faster than the riders on them, but i suppose a tandem powered by big strong guys (not climbers) motoring down blue route or on the flatlands is a thing of beauty and racing them when you are built to ride at 45 kmh on the flats and pull the bunch rather than 20kmh up the hills when climbing is what i had in mind. 

I loved the tandem and would happily race one again - it's not easier than single bikes though.

Sooooooo, Rode the route today again...

Places/Danger areas to look out for.

- Kommetjie Road from Masi on that little drag up to the robots where we turn left, that road becomes a single lane, and then stays a single lane after the left turn towards Ou Kaaps direction and only opens up just before the traffic lights before the entrance to the mall on the left. I highly doubt they will be able to open it before the weekend as those big yellow dividers are placed all along the road.

- I am ASSUMING that they are going to redirect the route through the entrance to the parking lot at the end of the mall and out again past the BP garage(usually on the left) as that road is also only a single lane and that being coming from Noordhoek side, with all those yellow floor dividers, again I do not see them to removing them all and then putting them all back after the race.

- On the Chappies descent past the booms, just before the last corner to the right into Hout Bay, I saw them busy today in a 6foot deep trench, drain was out and road was dug up, I am assuming by race day it will be re-laid again but not somewhere you would like to be riding over at 65km/h + if it's not level.(left lane)

I also saw all the Council workers all the way up Smits clearing the grass growing on the pavements, all thorns etc I'm expecting to be blown away by the wind and the truck was out clearing the road again of any debris, the only problem is it doesn't look like it sucks it up, it just brushes it elsewhere with those metal bristles.

Then just before and after the entrance to Cape Point, the road was closed on the left for about 100m as it seems there was loads of gravel all over the left side of the road and they were busy sweeping up. There were workers clearing the roads all the way up to Paardekloof and then again all the way through Scarborough and Misty Cliffs right up until the turn off to Ocean View.

- Kommetjie Road from the Imhoff Farm robots right up till the robots at the foot of Black Hill is a nightmare, potholes, damaged road from protests, glass everywhere, I'd suggest staying away from the left side there as that's where most of the damage is.

Other than that, (sounds like loads but it really isn't) it should be all good.

Edit* Spelling

Edited by FootballingCyclist

They're called jersey barriers

I mean the yellow lane dividers on the ground not the ones which are U shaped which stand up tall..

If that's what they're called, thanks for teaching me something new.

Sooooooo, Rode the route today again...

Places/Danger areas to look out for.

- Kommetjie Road from Masi on that little drag up to the robots where we turn left, that road becomes a single lane, and then stays a single lane after the left turn towards Ou Kaaps direction and only opens up just before the traffic lights before the entrance to the mall on the left. I highly doubt they will be able to open it before the weekend as those big yellow dividers are placed all along the road.

- I am ASSUMING that they are going to redirect the route through the entrance to the parking lot at the end of the mall and out again past the BP garage(usually on the left) as that road is also only a single lane and that being coming from Noordhoek side, with all those yellow floor dividers, again I do not see them to removing them all and then putting them all back after the race.

- On the Chappies descent past the booms, just before the last corner to the right into Hout Bay, I saw them busy today in a 6foot deep trench, drain was out and road was dug up, I am assuming by race day it will be re-laid again but not somewhere you would like to be riding over at 65km/h + if it's not level.

I also saw all the Council workers all the way up Smits clearing the grass growing on the pavements, all thorns etc I'm expecting to be blown away by the wind and the truck was out clearing the road again of any debris, thw only problem is it doesn't look like it sucks it up, it's just brushes it elsewhere with those metal bristles.

Then just past the beforee and after the entrance to Cape Point, the road was closed on the left for about 100m as it seems there was loads of gravel all over the left side of the road and they were busy sweeping up. There were workers clearing the roads all the way up to Paardekloof and then again all the way through Scarborough and Misty Cliffs right up until the turn off to Ocean View.

- Kommetjie Road from the Imhoff Farm robots right up till the robots at the foot of Black Hill is a nightmare, potholes, damages road from protests, glass everywhere, I'd suggest staying away from the left side there as that's where most of the damage is.

Other than that, (sounds like loads but it really isn't) it should be all good.

Eish. I don't know Cape Town at all. Even watching the tech videos, I've got no clue where these places are that they talk about. Will just have to go slow and careful...

Now I is worried, Strava says 2019 year to date stats:

Total rides:10

Total Hrs: 29

Total Distance: 649.7km 

And the preceding few months were even worse.

Given me an estimated finish time guys, I think I need to adjust my expectations. 

Given me an estimated finish time guys, I think I need to adjust my expectations. 

Good on you - you did about 3 times my mileage on bike. 

Edited by SeaBee

Aim for sub 7 - You'll be grand ^_^

I wonder how many of my results are missing!? Should also be close to 21.

Do two laps count towards the 21?

well since you pay for 2 events....