Canyon Aeroad - Read if you planning on purchasing one

button

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what you trying to prove by having a dig at me

You DO know now that you can not use that possition in races in SA ?

Edit:

Thus making the whole argument you had in the 1st Null and void?

Edited by Quagga

What you're missing is how many frames they sold.

Without knowing the failure rate making a claim about there being a flaw is impossible.

True, but I never claimed there was a flaw. I claimed there were a lot of frames with similar breakages. Which there are. So whether it's a 5% issue, or a 0.000005% issue for Canyon is of no consequence really. 100% of the OP's frames broke in the exact same manner. IMO the least they should have done is bring this usage limitation to his attention after replacing his frame for the first (or second!) time.

Edited by GrahamS2

Searched for "load", couldn't find it in the document.

Doesn't matter, it also says "normally assume", so it says nothing about "occasional assume."

Also doesn't matter because they'll go back the to the French or Swiss document if it comes up for a dispute.

And your quoted document still bans disc brakes, so that one is out of date...

Here you go.

Disk brakes are still not "Allowed" they are still in trial.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-to-continue-disc-brake-trial-in-2018/

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/disc-brakes-expected-to-proliferate-at-tour-de-france-after-uci-approval/

"Point 1.3.025 of the UCI Regulations will be amended to this effect, to allow the use of disc brakes during training and competitions for road and BMX Racing, as is already the case for cyclo-cross, mountain bike, trials and mass participation events."

And on the UCI site *I don tknow why they have not updated the document yet, maybe they will only do it once the brakes is out of trial.

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/the-management-committee-approves-agenda-2022-commits-greater-gender-equality-and-strengthens-its-ethics-regulations/

Edited by Quagga

OP

I have seen this episode before.

It wont get any better for you from here on.

Enjoy your new (non Canyon) bike!

Button Button Button

True, but I never claimed there was a flaw. I claimed there were a lot of frames with similar breakages. Which there are. So whether it's a 5% issue, or a 0.000005% issue for Canyon is of no consequence really. 100% of the OP's frames broke in the exact same manner. IMO the least they should have done is bring this usage limitation to his attention after replacing his frame for the first (or second!) time.

Try googling "broken xxxxx frame" and you'll invariably end up with "a lot" - however many "a lot" is...my uselessly small and fast google investigation got to about 10 frames. Given that this guy has broken 3 of them we could extrapolate and say he alone broke 30% of the worlds Aeroroads!

Statistics is, of course, a fickle maiden but if the owner broke 3 frames in exactly the same way my first port of call would be use/owner not manufacturer.

Well I've learnt something today  :thumbup:

I wish the UCI would enforce their own rules. They are putting (at the very least) weekend warriors at serious risk. As per my ignorance to this rule - awareness is clearly insufficient.

Read it again....load bearing*

EDIT: Points of Support. 

it also does not say that you have stay seated.

Here you go again

“The rider shall normally assume a sitting position on the bicycle. This position requires that the only points of support are the following: the feet on the pedals, the hands on the handlebars and the seat on the saddle.”

No other part may be used to support the rider.

I understand.

I'm also illustrating how these things normally go with the UCI.  Before they can prove it's support they'll need to put a pressure sensor in your chamois.

You can't use this rule as written to ban it unless the rider does it the majority of the time.

If you could use this rule to ban it, you can use this rule to ban putting your knee against the top tube to steer.

I think many of the posts in the last few pages of this thread is missing a big point, and in doing so, perpetuating the misconception of a design flaw: it's not the sitting on the top tube that's the problem. That's static loading.

It's the dynamic condition of a large mass shock loading the top tube that is causing the cracking.  This was what the OP described,when riding the top tube over a rough surface.

In my view, the bike has no design flaws. The OP violated the terms of the warrantee, but got away with it twice. He did not deceive Canyon, he was simply lucky they didnt' ask more questions upfront. Zero need to demonize the company or its products by perpetuating nonsense.

To be clear my problem was nothing to do with the design flaw, whether it existed or not, or whether it was one or not, couldn't be bothered to be honest.

My issue was with the manner in which the OP was shot down, not having an engineering background doesn't mean his point is invalid off the bat

I may be wrong but the past few pages have been debating the aerotuck position while pedalling at the same time ie, the Froome riding style.
When descending dropping down onto the TT to establish a tuck position is not entirely new in any way or form. In fact its been around since "Moses played scrumhalf for Egypt".
That being said, applying weight to the TT shouldn't see it consistently break. Canyon claims to have one of the lightest Aero bikes on the market, and it seems to me they have jeopardised the integrity of the TT carbon to achieve this...